UPGRADE 2 VISION+ / HELP! (wrecked images)

Reaction score
So I recently purchased a Vision 2+ to find out that they do not have replacement parts yet for this copter. Unfortunately earlier today I wrecked it into a concrete beam and it took a pretty serious fall.
The Copter itself is fine but unfortunately the Gimbal and camera didn't make it out unharmed. The Camera actually broke off completely from the Arm of the Gimbal and the black ribbon snapped.
I called and spoke with DJI to get the replacement parts and they told me to check in 2 weeks or so to see if they have parts then.. They were also unable to Quote me about the cost for repairs.

The camera is pretty sucky as you all know.. I asked about just replacing this mount all together so I could use my HERO3 and they said that the gimbals are not compatible with the VISION 2+

Has ANY one out there replaced the VISION 2+ - 3-Axis Gimbal and replaced it with a 3-Axis GO-PRO Gimbal. Its my understanding that this is not possible for the VISION 2+ through DJI but I know someone on here has done it or can lead me in the right direction. Also I guess the FVP and Monitoring only works with their camera and your phone through the APP. I would have to purchase the DJI LIGHTBRIDGE LINK to make the GOPRO work for monitoring etc...

Clearly I am new to all of this and any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 817
  • image-1.jpg
    image-1.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 750
  • image-2.jpg
    image-2.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 755
YOur options are limited. Best you can do is wait it out, as the only seller that has replacement camera/gimbal is on ebay and is charging beyond what it would cost for you to sell your exising + as salvage, take that money, add a few hundred to it, and get a brand new + package.

C@RDBO@RDBRAINZ said:
The camera is pretty sucky as you all know..
I disagree and I don't know who you're referring to as all?
Personally I think it is on par with the Vision if not a little better!

The camera is decent. It's a good practice camera and good for the average user.
Sorry that my description was vague. I am planning on using the copter for production and capturing quality video for commercial use. The footage that the Vision 2+ captures is no where near the quality that I would consider useable. The GOPROHERO3 has many more shooting options ( resolution,frame rates,RAW etc...) and clearly looks much better thats all I'm saying.

There have been a few broken gimbal posts, but nothing other than reporting that there are no replacement parts. Camera and gimbal will run you $800 at least (cost of zen-muse and vision camera), more for labor...

The P2V+ unfortunately uses 5.8 Ghz for R/C and 2.4 GHz for wifi. This is the opposite of P2's using Zenmuse gimbals and go pro's. You'd have to completely remove the gimbal mounts, replace the receiver and transmitter with a 2.4 GHz transmitter/receiver. You can get the transmitters cheap on ebay, as many enthusiasts have upgraded to a Futuba.

My best suggestion would be to wait for parts. IF you absolutely don't want to, you could buy all the stuff for a P2V (no gimbal, just a movable pitch camera).

The P2V+ is designed as an all-in-one solution for the non-tinkerer with (I disagree with your OP) a pretty good stabilized camera. If you have the chops to be gutting your Phantom like that, then I would recommend selling you P2V+ as is, and purchasing a P2 with zenmuse gimbal and a gopro, or maybe even a F450 flamewheel or TBS Discovery. Easy to get parts, but lots of tinkering involved.

C@RDBO@RDBRAINZ said:
The camera is decent. It's a good practice camera and good for the average user.
Sorry that my description was vague. I am planning on using the copter for production and capturing quality video for commercial use. The footage that the Vision 2+ captures is no where near the quality that I would consider useable. The GOPROHERO3 has many more shooting options ( resolution,frame rates,RAW etc...) and clearly looks much better thats all I'm saying.
vision+ has RAW photo option..

C@RDBO@RDBRAINZ said:
So I recently purchased a Vision 2+ to find out that they do not have replacement parts yet for this copter. Unfortunately earlier today I wrecked it into a concrete beam and it took a pretty serious fall.
The Copter itself is fine but unfortunately the Gimbal and camera didn't make it out unharmed. The Camera actually broke off completely from the Arm of the Gimbal and the black ribbon snapped.
I called and spoke with DJI to get the replacement parts and they told me to check in 2 weeks or so to see if they have parts then.. They were also unable to Quote me about the cost for repairs.

The camera is pretty sucky as you all know.. I asked about just replacing this mount all together so I could use my HERO3 and they said that the gimbals are not compatible with the VISION 2+

Has ANY one out there replaced the VISION 2+ - 3-Axis Gimbal and replaced it with a 3-Axis GO-PRO Gimbal. Its my understanding that this is not possible for the VISION 2+ through DJI but I know someone on here has done it or can lead me in the right direction. Also I guess the FVP and Monitoring only works with their camera and your phone through the APP. I would have to purchase the DJI LIGHTBRIDGE LINK to make the GOPRO work for monitoring etc...

Clearly I am new to all of this and any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated :)
interested in selling the broken gimbal an camera?

C@RDBO@RDBRAINZ said:

I know your pain my friend, took mine out for only the 4th time on Sunday morning, hadn't been in the air 40sec about 50ft off the ground and something went wrong. It tumbled over and over and fell out of the sky like a brick. I know people will say "Oh pilot error" Not the case. There was no wind, no trees, no poles or buildings, it was climbing slowly & something failed. Gimbal, camera & both landing gear destroyed.
Also contacted DJI in regards to replacing gimbal/camera, no go. They did say if they were available I'd be looking at around $800 mark for starters. Then there's the drama of matching the QR coding of the camera to the Phantom itself (apparently individually paired to the brains of the thing). Basically a lot of messing around.
So I bit the bullet & ordered a new P2V+ and will use the wrecked one for test flights & can butcher it for spare parts if I ever need them... Expensive Sunday morning indeed!

Attachments

• 20140518_110002.jpg
    20140518_110002.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 690
  • 20140518_105030.jpg
    20140518_105030.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 707
I am not so sure the Zenmuse gimbal would not work with the the Vision+...fpv is not without a new iosd etc for video transmission. The board inside has that has one of the three Vision+ grey cables connected to it has "ZENMUSE" printed on it...if I could put together some time and has a h3-3d to try it out...anybody try it I don't know. But it seems veru odd to me that the zenmuse gimbal would not work to stabilize a go pro, while fpv and telemetry I doubt without some added hardware...

phantomguy said:
C@RDBO@RDBRAINZ said:
Indeed as does the previous Vision. I think the OP failed to learn about the operation and details of the Visions. Adding the carbon fiber blades seems to be going backwards if you desire good image quality. They are good for mowing grass.. :-/

phantomguy said:
YOur options are limited. Best you can do is wait it out, as the only seller that has replacement camera/gimbal is on ebay and is charging beyond what it would cost for you to sell your exising + as salvage, take that money, add a few hundred to it, and get a brand new + package.

I'm led to believe also that the replacement gimbal/camera is QR coded or something to each P2V+ individually, so buying one off Ebay might be a waste of time if it doesn't match/work.
Mine suffered terminal damage on the weekend (see post below) and yes, probably more money than sense but I ordered a complete new P2V+. Guess I'll have lots of spares if I need them!

Skipholiday said:
phantomguy said:
C@RDBO@RDBRAINZ said:
Indeed as does the previous Vision. I think the OP failed to learn about the operation and details of the Visions. Adding the carbon fiber blades seems to be going backwards if you desire good image quality. They are good for mowing grass.. :-/

I definitely did not upgrade to any carbon blades or any other accessories. I am fully aware of the Camera Specs and what it shoots. I was actually gifted the copter. If I were to buy the copter myself I would have went a completely different direction. 14 Megapixel raw photos aren't that exciting to me and honestly the iPhone with an adapter and wide angle lens would shoot better looking video footage. But thats not the point.

I am simply on here looking for options to fix this current situation and upgrade it to make it even more awesome than it already is!

Skipholiday said:
This one seems to have the parts needed with the eXception of the ribbon cable.https://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Phanto...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ce18403dd
C@RDBO@RDBRAINZ said:
I am simply on here looking for options to fix this current situation and upgrade it to make it even more awesome than it already is!

Agreed, and the one in the link apparently comes with the QR code if needed. Considering what new ones are costing now and based on what DJI is charging now for new non-+ cameras, Im thinking the one in the link above might be the best option for the OP, especially if he can locate a replacement ribbon or have an electronic repair shop fix his. Many local computer repair shops are pretty skilled in repairing or replacing ribbon cables..

Phantom_Menace66 said:
C@RDBO@RDBRAINZ said:

I know your pain my friend, took mine out for only the 4th time on Sunday morning, hadn't been in the air 40sec about 50ft off the ground and something went wrong. It tumbled over and over and fell out of the sky like a brick. I know people will say "Oh pilot error" Not the case. There was no wind, no trees, no poles or buildings, it was climbing slowly & something failed. Gimbal, camera & both landing gear destroyed.
Also contacted DJI in regards to replacing gimbal/camera, no go. They did say if they were available I'd be looking at around $800 mark for starters. Then there's the drama of matching the QR coding of the camera to the Phantom itself (apparently individually paired to the brains of the thing). Basically a lot of messing around.
So I bit the bullet & ordered a new P2V+ and will use the wrecked one for test flights & can butcher it for spare parts if I ever need them... Expensive Sunday morning indeed!

Must be nice to be able to purchase another one! I am convinced that these gimbals are EXTREMELY delicate. I sure hope that the replacements from DJI are reasonably priced or there are going to be alot of pissed off customers who flushed $1300 down toliet!

offtosleep said:
Phantom_Menace66 said:
Must be nice to be able to purchase another one! I am convinced that these gimbals are EXTREMELY delicate. I sure hope that the replacements from DJI are reasonably priced or there are going to be alot of pissed off customers who flushed $1300 down toliet!
pissed down the toilet? WTF?? this is not a toy you fly into concrete obstruction, trees or whateVer.

This is sold and marketed as a flying camera..

Would you slam your DSLR Nikon D7100 into a wall and then be pissed if it didn't function afterwards??

Skipholiday said:

Would you slam your DSLR Nikon D7100 into a wall and then be pissed if it didn't function afterwards??

+1 I wholeheartedly agree .... some think these things are like 4 wheel drives and seem bummed when it doesnt drive out the other side of an obstruction or water hazard completly intact working .... This forum gives me more laughs than "Family Guy" sometimes :lol:

Skipholiday said:
offtosleep said:
Phantom_Menace66 said:
pissed down the toilet? WTF?? this is not a toy you fly into concrete obstruction, trees or whateVer.

I didn't mean this in a derogatory way. Of course you have to be extremely careful.

BTW, I probably would through Nikon D7100 on the ground. But that's because I'm a Canon 5D Mark II owner :lol:

Skipholiday said:
offtosleep said:
Phantom_Menace66 said:

Mine fell out of the sky for some unknown reason, I know something failed and it wasn't pilot error. Yes it was over $1500AUD by the time it reached my door & I'm not happy it crashed, but flying anything has risks when gravity is involved. I chose to spend that amount of money because I believe it is an awesome machine & a way of allowing 'average' (for lack of a better word) people access to imagery only previously available to pros with big $$$. We all spend money that could probably be better spent elsewhere, so don't whine when you break it. Such is life...
Having said that, the bulk of the cost of a P2V+ would be made up largely due to the gimbal/camera set up, so you could not expect replacement parts to be cheap. As seen on Ebay, replacements are about $1000 which is probably not far off what DJI will sell them for. For another $300 you can get a brand new complete one, wait until you can replace the damaged one then sell it to offset the cost of the new one.
As stated above, they are not toys to be flown around recklessly....

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj