Updating the Vision firmware

Reaction score
Hi all,

Newbie here. New to quadcopters, new to the forum, spend my whole life flying about in fullsize helicopters and messing with technology so have a reasonable understanding of concepts...

My vision has about 2 hrs flying hrs logged, and two red battery drops from the sky - one out of sight and wifi. WHen it got home, I looked at the video - it had crashed onto a residential street, somehow corrected itself (you could see the red LEDs flashing on the road) lifted again and found its way home. The luckiest break I think I deserve. Anyway, self imposed grounding until a solution, which 'seems' to have appeared. Could one of you fabulous pro's write out a simple step by step 'how-to' to take the vision out of the box and update everything that needs updating? The Control Transmitter, the phantom, the iPhone.... anything else? The transmitter needs breaking into? What order to do it in.... all that sort of stuff, and if you could spare some photos / screenshots it would be really, really appreciated.

I have a Mac computer, iphone 5, Vision as delivered, and at the moment everything seems to be working well. Don't want to end up with it not working!!

Hope someone will take pity on me.......

Cheers N

Thats brilliant. Many thanks

Now I just need to work out what IOC and CL that everyone is so excited about is, and I'll be set.

Still think a sticky with a concise update post, a glossary of what the extra functions are, and how to use them and so on would be really useful. The vision has attracted loads of people like me for who this is a brand new adventure. This seems to be the most helpful and friendly forum I have ever visited, so hopefully someone might.

Of course, in the parallel universe I live in, the manufacturer would be doing this rather than leaving it to their customers, but hey...

Again, thanks for the pointer, and if anyone fancies doing a quick glossary, there are loads of us that would be in eternal gratitude :p

Cheers again
N

By following the hints on this forum, I was able to update both the transmitter (with some disassembly required) and the Phantom 2V without any problems using Windows 7 running on Oracle's VirtualBox on a Mac. The only slight hitch was that where I set the Phantom on my desk during the upgrade made the GPS/compass very unhappy as I had it too close to something magnetic. When I moved it a bit near a window, all went well and I now have IOC and everything else - happiness!

Awesome info about VirtualBox - thanks for the heads up. I'm really surprised that there are not more ppl stuck in this boat! There isn't a single mention of having to connect to windows on their website or on the sites of any of the dealers I have looked at. Im just wondering about how much it will open up my mac to viruses and the like, running a windows OS.

genoanv said:
By following the hints on this forum, I was able to update both the transmitter (with some disassembly required) and the Phantom 2V without any problems using Windows 7 running on Oracle's VirtualBox on a Mac. The only slight hitch was that where I set the Phantom on my desk during the upgrade made the GPS/compass very unhappy as I had it too close to something magnetic. When I moved it a bit near a window, all went well and I now have IOC and everything else - happiness!

Is that the hot ticket for the compass. With such a short cable they provided and tethered to my only PC which is a desk top I wasn't able to get that to go away. Everything else seemed to go fine as far as the updates. However I STILL do not see the IOC stuff. I'm a newb too so I am most likely over looking something.

James

Pull_Up said:
James, have you definitely shifted it into NAZA mode by clicking top right, where it says Phantom 2 Vision? If it doesn't say NAZA there then you won't see the IOC or other options being discussed. Sorry if you've already stated you've done that...

Went back in. Found it. Thx. Tried recalibration my controls again too. No time to fly today ill try again soon.

Cheers

James

As mentioned above in this thread, Oracle's free Virtualbox will help you run Windows on a Mac, but it doesn't come with the Windows software. For a time-limited no cost license of Windows head to modern.ie and choose your flavour.

whitewatersalvo said:
Awesome info about VirtualBox - thanks for the heads up. I'm really surprised that there are not more ppl stuck in this boat! There isn't a single mention of having to connect to windows on their website or on the sites of any of the dealers I have looked at. Im just wondering about how much it will open up my mac to viruses and the like, running a windows OS.

I have a PC and a Mac. I hate using the PC I'm definitely a Apple guy. My wife has the PC as a work computer that needs a specific windows and explorer version. It's an older machine and its painfully slow. I used it to update my PV and controller. Though it worked I think I am going to install VMware on my Macbook Pro. I had it on my last Macbook to run windows and was impressed how well it worked. My understanding is that it is possible to get a virus on the Windows side of things. However it is as easy as uninstalling windows and reinstalling to wipe it clean. Happened to me twice. It does NOT affect the OSX side of things. Now this is just my experience and understanding of the two systems I have had. There are always new viruses and variables but in general its fairly safe. Good luck.

James

FlyingDoc said:
Thats brilliant. Many thanks

Now I just need to work out what IOC and CL that everyone is so excited about is, and I'll be set.

Still think a sticky with a concise update post, a glossary of what the extra functions are, and how to use them and so on would be really useful. The vision has attracted loads of people like me for who this is a brand new adventure. This seems to be the most helpful and friendly forum I have ever visited, so hopefully someone might.

Of course, in the parallel universe I live in, the manufacturer would be doing this rather than leaving it to their customers, but hey...

Again, thanks for the pointer, and if anyone fancies doing a quick glossary, there are loads of us that would be in eternal gratitude :p

Cheers again
N

Browsing around and came across this. Loads of info. I too am in the same boat. New to this..completely. So my learning curve is high. Hope this is helpful.

http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Main_page

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj