Updating firmware question

Reaction score
Can I use the new 3.0 assistant software to upgrade the newest Phantom 2 or do I need to use Assistant software 2.0? When I connect to the 3.0 assistant, It sees there is an update. Tells me the 3.0 firmware is out but there is a mismatch. I haven't done anything with it yet. I am aware of the updates in 3.0 so I'm not worried. Seems like the current firmware is 1.8 I think. This again is the newest p2 (ready for zenmuse h3 3d) So can I use newest assistant software or need older version first? Last question. Should I wait on the h3 3d gimbal and installed osd mini before I do any updates? Thanks for any help!

If you are not planning on using the 3axis gimbal I would seriously reccomend not updating to the new firmware. If it were me in your spot i'd keep it how it is.

I'm going to try keep this simple and direct.

I reverted back to 1.08 firmware after updating to 2.0 then 3.0 because the craft would not maintain elevation and overall general decrease in control. After reverting the craft controls the way it used too ie. very good response and feel. It was very easy to revert since the DJI software never uninstalls the previous version of the Assistant software, my PC has versions 1.0, 1.02, 1.08, 2.0 and 3.0. I simply ran the executable for 1.08, plugged in the Phantom, checked for updates and it said I could "update" from version 3.0 to 1.08, seems any variance from the current version is seen as an update, this happens to make things very easy. I do have a lingering issue I will be working on today, that is my Gimbal no longer works, it stopped working after the update to version 3. I have the Zenmuse H3-2D gimabl.

Now before I start getting a bunch of advice please read these clarifications below. PS. I re-calibrated everything via the software after every version update, as well as re-calibrating the craft as well.

1. I have flown my Phantom 2 for 5 months EVERYDAY for an hour at least. This is the only way to become a good pilot.

2. I do lots of low flying over water, very delicate flight patterns, NO room for error.

3. I never update firmware unless I have an issue, don't fix it if it ain't broke.

4. I decided to update from 1.08 to 2.0 for one reason only, I loved the new max descent speed limit since my one and only crash was due to a very high altitude descent in stormy conditions and came down too fast and without enough forward/backward movement and entering into the wobble of death/vortex ring state and the craft plummeted to the ground. I now know that if I enter this state simply back of the throttle and give it forward or backward stick gently.

5. As soon as I updated to 2.0 I began to notice flight control issues, to be specific, the craft would no longer MAINTAIN altitude at hover and also when you moved in any direction the craft would lose altitude, I nearly ditched the craft into the water several times before heading to the backyard for some serious flight analysis. I verified that the craft no longer moved or responded in the same way it had for the previous 200 flights, I was always having to add throttle up to maintain elevation, with no control movement at all the craft would drop several feet and rise and fall slowly over and over, when moving in any direction the craft would lose elevation and lastly when I would do a big pull back shot ie. Backwards and up at the same time it would "hook" left as it flew away, not a hard hook but a hook. I do this type of shot every day and do know that a compass issue will cause the same thing, but remember I recalibrated my compass before each flight just trying to eliminate variables.

6. Next I upgraded to 3.0 just in case these were version bugs, they do occur, I am a programmer and I know how easy it is cause issues with "improvements" and debugging can take time. The flight control issues remained PLUS now my gimbal would not work. I did extensive flight tests, low level, hover, pull backs and all the conditions existed. Keep in mind I performed all tests in exactly the same location as to not introduce any locations variables.
7. Frustrated I got up this morning and decided to attempt a roll back to what IO deemed the last stable version 1.08. I read the forums but there was way too much conflicting and emotional dialog to sort thru so I decided to just give it a whirl. Since the DJI software never uninstalls the previous version of the Assistant software I DID NOT have to locate the installer for 1.08 or uninstall 3.0, all the older versions still existed in an installed state on my PC. I had versions 1.0, 1.02, 1.08, 2.0 and 3.0.
a. I simply located the executable for 1.08 C:\Program Files (x86)\DJI Product\Phantom 2 Assistant_1.08\Phantom2.exe
b. Plugged in the Phantom, checked for updates and it said I could "update" from version 3.0 to 1.08, seems any variance from the current version is seen as an update, this happens to make things very easy.
c. I then recalibrated the controller and went to do some hands on flight tests. Everything is now great again, all the previous issues were gone, no drop in elevation when moving, much more stable hovering and no more J hook on the big pull backs
d. I do have a lingering issue I will be working on today, that is my Gimbal no longer works, it stopped working after the update to version 3. I have the Zenmuse H3-2D gimbal.
8. I truly hope this info is helpful and would love to get your feedback. I love to fly my Phantom and know how hard it must be for DJI to manage hardware and software changes and also know they are trying to beat the governments to the punch at protecting airports and aircraft from careless pilots, I think this is a good thing for the sport.

Thanks for the detailed procedures you did. After updating 2.0 My P2 now has serious TBE, J Hooking and a intermittent vibration which you can hear. i am running the stock gains. Increasing the gains makes it vibrate more.

I have been very dissapointed with the random unstability as I use it for shooting video for work.
I am not upgrading to 3.0 and am looking at other Quad or Hexacopter manufactures to replace my P2.

The P2 is fine for just fun flying around but for any critical video work with semi complex camera moves it just doesn't cut it.
Too bad as I like the concept and design of the P2.

The bummer is that before v2.0 I had zero complaints, except wishing for a max descent speed to reduce the chance of the vortex ring crashes (which is the only reason I upgraded, but the gimbal was smooth, flight was steady. In fact if I could just get the gimbal switch on the transmitter to work again I'd be all set.

Gonzoshots said:
I'm going to try keep this simple and direct.

I reverted back to 1.08 firmware after updating to 2.0 then 3.0 because the craft would not maintain elevation and overall general decrease in control. After reverting the craft controls the way it used too ie. very good response and feel. It was very easy to revert since the DJI software never uninstalls the previous version of the Assistant software, my PC has versions 1.0, 1.02, 1.08, 2.0 and 3.0. I simply ran the executable for 1.08, plugged in the Phantom, checked for updates and it said I could "update" from version 3.0 to 1.08, seems any variance from the current version is seen as an update, this happens to make things very easy. I do have a lingering issue I will be working on today, that is my Gimbal no longer works, it stopped working after the update to version 3. I have the Zenmuse H3-2D gimabl.

Now before I start getting a bunch of advice please read these clarifications below. PS. I re-calibrated everything via the software after every version update, as well as re-calibrating the craft as well.

1. I have flown my Phantom 2 for 5 months EVERYDAY for an hour at least. This is the only way to become a good pilot.

2. I do lots of low flying over water, very delicate flight patterns, NO room for error.

3. I never update firmware unless I have an issue, don't fix it if it ain't broke.

4. I decided to update from 1.08 to 2.0 for one reason only, I loved the new max descent speed limit since my one and only crash was due to a very high altitude descent in stormy conditions and came down too fast and without enough forward/backward movement and entering into the wobble of death/vortex ring state and the craft plummeted to the ground. I now know that if I enter this state simply back of the throttle and give it forward or backward stick gently.

5. As soon as I updated to 2.0 I began to notice flight control issues, to be specific, the craft would no longer MAINTAIN altitude at hover and also when you moved in any direction the craft would lose altitude, I nearly ditched the craft into the water several times before heading to the backyard for some serious flight analysis. I verified that the craft no longer moved or responded in the same way it had for the previous 200 flights, I was always having to add throttle up to maintain elevation, with no control movement at all the craft would drop several feet and rise and fall slowly over and over, when moving in any direction the craft would lose elevation and lastly when I would do a big pull back shot ie. Backwards and up at the same time it would "hook" left as it flew away, not a hard hook but a hook. I do this type of shot every day and do know that a compass issue will cause the same thing, but remember I recalibrated my compass before each flight just trying to eliminate variables.

6. Next I upgraded to 3.0 just in case these were version bugs, they do occur, I am a programmer and I know how easy it is cause issues with "improvements" and debugging can take time. The flight control issues remained PLUS now my gimbal would not work. I did extensive flight tests, low level, hover, pull backs and all the conditions existed. Keep in mind I performed all tests in exactly the same location as to not introduce any locations variables.
7. Frustrated I got up this morning and decided to attempt a roll back to what IO deemed the last stable version 1.08. I read the forums but there was way too much conflicting and emotional dialog to sort thru so I decided to just give it a whirl. Since the DJI software never uninstalls the previous version of the Assistant software I DID NOT have to locate the installer for 1.08 or uninstall 3.0, all the older versions still existed in an installed state on my PC. I had versions 1.0, 1.02, 1.08, 2.0 and 3.0.
a. I simply located the executable for 1.08 C:\Program Files (x86)\DJI Product\Phantom 2 Assistant_1.08\Phantom2.exe
b. Plugged in the Phantom, checked for updates and it said I could "update" from version 3.0 to 1.08, seems any variance from the current version is seen as an update, this happens to make things very easy.
c. I then recalibrated the controller and went to do some hands on flight tests. Everything is now great again, all the previous issues were gone, no drop in elevation when moving, much more stable hovering and no more J hook on the big pull backs
d. I do have a lingering issue I will be working on today, that is my Gimbal no longer works, it stopped working after the update to version 3. I have the Zenmuse H3-2D gimbal.
8. I truly hope this info is helpful and would love to get your feedback. I love to fly my Phantom and know how hard it must be for DJI to manage hardware and software changes and also know they are trying to beat the governments to the punch at protecting airports and aircraft from careless pilots, I think this is a good thing for the sport.

Phantom 2 - check
H3-3D Gimbal - check
Firmware update - check
dead H3-3D gimbal - check

http://youtu.be/h9UoqeRcIfg - a short clip of the above.

I'm using a Mac - I don't think there is a regression path - as the newer software overwrites the older software.

Sigh. Any idea folks?

Regards,
Frustrated in Uk.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1