Updating Controller Firmware Question

Reaction score
The directions are a bit vague as to now update your controller firmware through the GO app. Do I power on the controller and the quad, then open the app and update from there? A few weeks ago I updated the controller by putting the SD card in a SD card reader and then sticking it in the back of the controller.

Any bit of advice would be greatly appreciated!

Do this:

1) Make sure the remote controller has at least 50% battery level.
2) Connect your mobile device to the Internet.
3) Verify that you have at least 30 MB of free space on your mobile device.
4) Turn on your remote controller and connect it to your mobile device via USB/Lightning cable.
5) In the DJI GO app, go to Camera View --> System Status bar --> Overall Status. Tap download the firmware update package to download and
update the firmware. Track the update progress from the progress bar in the DJI GO App.
6) The status LED on the remote controller will blink blue during update and blink green when update is complete with success.

And, Bob is your uncle. There is no need to invent additional steps ;)

Last edited:
Do this:

1) Make sure the remote controller has at least 50% battery level.
2) Connect your mobile device to the Internet.
3) Verify that you have at least 30 MB of free space on your mobile device.
4) In the DJI GO app, go to Camera View --> System Status bar --> Overall Status. Tap download the firmware update package to download and
update the firmware. Track the update progress from the progress bar in the DJI GO App.
5) The status LED on the remote controller will blink blue during update and blink green when update is complete with success.

And, Bob is your uncle. There is no need to invent additional steps ;)
It actually doesn't even say to turn on your controller..so if you are to follow these instructions to the "T"... But I assume you turn it on and connect your phone to the controller.

Bateman233, you must turn on your remote controller to connect it to the DJI GO app. And, since you're updating your remote controller, it must be turned on.

Mine wouldn't update via the app. I did it by putting the download file onto a memory stick and plugging it into the back of the remote and switching it on. Worked a treat.

Maybe I'm wrong, but aren't there two types of controller? A & B; maybe they are both updated using different methods?

Mine wouldn't update via the app. I did it by putting the download file onto a memory stick and plugging it into the back of the remote and switching it on. Worked a treat.

Maybe I'm wrong, but aren't there two types of controller? A & B; maybe they are both updated using different methods?
Ya maybe I am confused. I just turned on my controller with the new app and connected to the quad. Nowhere did it say I need to update the controller firmware. Said everything was normal. Is that how your experience went?

I had a few issues myself with the RC.

I only saw the update firmware message once on my iPad, then it quickly disappeared . Tried power cycling the iPad and reinstalling the GO app.

Tried a couple of thumb drives directly in the RC.

Finally tried through the gimbal and I believe it worked. I saw the LED turn blue and then green while the Phantom beeped its beeps. Waited 20 minutes and the phantom was still beeping.

Turned off the Phantom and RC and all seems well.

Battery updates tell you they are complete by what exactly? Do you need to have a fresh bin file each time?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The directions are a bit vague as to now update your controller firmware through the GO app. Do I power on the controller and the quad, then open the app and update from there? A few weeks ago I updated the controller by putting the SD card in a SD card reader and then sticking it in the back of the controller.

Any bit of advice would be greatly appreciated!
At no point do you need to turn on the bird to upgrade the controller from the App
just install app open it connect cable to controller like you would go fly and turn on controller the update will flash you hit the download and it does it all

NOTE: I went to upgrade my controller today with an adapter for the micro sd. I plugged in the adapter to the USB port and could not get the upgrade started. Tried at least 3 times. Changed adapter style and bingo the upgrade started and was successful....small things can make a difference.:eek:

At no point do you need to turn on the bird to upgrade the controller from the App
just install app open it connect cable to controller like you would go fly and turn on controller the update will flash you hit the download and it does it all
Has not worked for me like that whatsoever. I updated the aircraft. Then I downloaded the app, connected my iphone 6 to the controller and nowhere has it told me to update the controller. Has not prompted me to update whatsoever.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4