Updates

Reaction score
Hi all phantom flyers I’ve had a p3a for 3 years now & I’m in UK and I’ve updated when it needed to be over the time but I have not updated for a while but still fly with no probs think about 3 updates last time I did just wanted to know is it still ok to fly without updates when DJI send them out will it make any difference while it’s flying good as you hear of crashes fly always lose of signal etc I will update at sometime in future unless I’ve got to . Thanks savo05 in UK west mids

I have not seen any update for P3A for quite sometime though there have been updates for DJI Go app. I don't think you should worry about updating right now. Keep all intact.

is it still ok to fly without updates when DJI send them out
Updates are optional, but I personally like to use the latest firmware (to take advantage of all documented and undocumented fixes). If you do not want to update for some reason, then you should be fine on your current firmware version since no major firmware issues have been found.

FYI, you can find an overview of each firmware release in the release notes on the P3A downloads page.

Hi all phantom flyers I’ve had a p3a for 3 years now & I’m in UK and I’ve updated when it needed to be over the time but I have not updated for a while but still fly with no probs think about 3 updates last time I did just wanted to know is it still ok to fly without updates when DJI send them out will it make any difference while it’s flying good as you hear of crashes fly always lose of signal etc I will update at sometime in future unless I’ve got to . Thanks savo05 in UK west mids
why update if it's working. why even think about it unless you just like risk taking or like to try to fix things. for me, my luck makes an issue more lkely than most so i dont want to tempt fate. works = works. update = could work / could become broken. why do it amirite?

Last edited:
why update if it's working. why even think about it unless you just like risk taking or like to try to fix things. for me, my luck makes an issue more lkely than most so i dont want to tempt fate. works = works. update = could work / could become f'ed. why do it amirite?

Thanks all for reply’s that’s what I think if it works why mess about with it unless something does go wrong I think it just says update controller and p3a not as I’ve typed but you know what I mean lol I’ll keep eye on it all as it comes on phantom pilots best forum out there some one always talking about stuff etc

Reactions: JoBe
why do it amirite?
I do it because I don't know what doesn't work in the old code I'm running prior to installing any updates. Unfortunately, DJI does not disclose everything that has been fixed when releasing new updates.

No company releases new code just to release new code. It involves a lot of work and is done to improve/fix things.

I do it because I don't know what doesn't work in the old code I'm running prior to installing any updates. Unfortunately, DJI does not disclose everything that has been fixed when releasing new updates.

No company releases new code just to release new code. It involves a lot of work and is done to improve/fix things.
of course they dont just release code just for the fun of it. really?
the prob is that they have often unintentionally released code that broke something accidentally. same as can happen with any company but not as much as we've seen with dji, and other companies usually own up to it and actually try to fix it quickly.
dji has also added not desirable stuff without telling anyone. surprise!
you can't deny this with a straight face.
so unless there is some specific item that makes it worth taking a risk, it makes sense to not take the risk. basic logic.
ymmv, but you should for sure try to give both sides to your advice since people could blindly follow you because you have a big like number, and then do something they regret.
peace.

I'm not sure what you mean. Please do explain.

you
can't possibly not know that they have added undesirable things or changed things without notice and with no mention in the release info. aside from so called undisclosed "fixes" as you said.
i hope for the sake of your rep that you are not trying to say that you don't know that they do this.
all i'm saying is that unless they are adding some killer app type of thing its not worth the risk. out.

you can't possibly not know that they have added undesirable things or changed things without notice and with no mention in the release info
Well, yes. That's precisely what I'm saying.

i hope for the sake of your rep that you are not trying to say that you don't know that they do this.
I don't come here to boost my rep. For the sake of your own rep (and to help educate other who don't know what you mean), please stop speaking in vague terms and list the undesirable changes you wish to warn others about.

of course they dont just release code just for the fun of it. really?
the prob is that they have often unintentionally released code that broke something accidentally. same as can happen with any company but not as much as we've seen with dji, and other companies usually own up to it and actually try to fix it quickly.
so unless there is some specific item that makes it worth taking a risk, it makes sense to not take the risk. basic logic.
ymmv, but you should for sure try to give both sides to your advice since people could blindly follow you because you have a big like number, and then do something they regret.
peace.
I believe you are 'over thinking' the decision to either update either FW or SW. DJI does occasionally release updates that create issues for some people that are annoying but in the most part are fairly quickly resolved either through additional updates or through the members of this forum - in particular people like Msinger. His number of 'likes' are a direct result of his input based on his experience, knowledge and willingness to help others.
I have no issues with updating once I've looked around here for any adverse outcomes and remind myself that it's a flying camera that is a remarkable piece of kit for its price point.

Thx msinger Only wanted to know if you got to upgrade to fly as not done one for while and with all those muppets out there flying in nfz etc it making it harder for the hobbist to fly putting all these restrictions on dji app etc I fly in the country when I go away in caravan etc just to get some nice fotos etc will have a look at updating soon hopefully lol thanks again peeps

Reactions: tevek
Updates have always been a bit of an issue, since computers made their appearance. But, except for the camera flip, when pointing straight down and then moving, I have not had any issues with an update. This one, well, it is not a big deal, rarely comes into play and will likely be taken out on the next update.
I don't mind if they update the NFZ and other areas, it is helpful rather than a pain. I for one don't fly where I am not allowed. But maybe that is because I have a Pilots Certificate, so I just know better.:)

Reactions: captainmilehigh
my issue is that pretending to not know full well that DJI has removed and added things without notice (aside from so called "fixes") is doing a disservice to the forum and is not a good look for someone who might be taken at face value just because of his number of likes. its all good. i hope that people can research for themselves before making such an important decision. peace.

my issue is that pretending to not know full well that DJI has removed and added things without notice (aside from so called "fixes") is doing a disservice to the forum
I hear what you're saying. However, I'm not sure which things you're referring to.

Why don't you disclose these things so other people can be aware? Isn't keeping this knowledge to yourself and forcing others to figure it out on their own doing a disservice to this forum?

I hear what you're saying. However, I'm not sure which things you're referring to.

Why don't you disclose these things so other people can be aware? Isn't keeping this knowledge to yourself and forcing others to figure it out on their own doing a disservice to this forum?
Agreed

dji has also added not desirable stuff without telling anyone.

I assume you're asking for examples. I don't know how after reading the forums you don't know any. Unless you treat them as unconfirmed knowledge, and therefore non-existent. While I am not able or not willing to confirm most of these as well, I do keep them in mind.

Here are a few which I can remember right now.

1. It was suggested that in firmware C1_FW_V01.06.0000 the power output of either RC, AC or both was nerfed. One Dji technician admitted it, later all were saying it is not true. Then Dji started saying that they keep the drone parameters within original spec after update, without discussing what was changed in detail. One person was able to confirm the change with a power meter, but results were questionable, as it isn't easy to correctly measure the power, especially in the AC - RC is easier. When I reached to my sources, I only got an answer that it is possible to control power of the transmitter by software and the drone does that, and the protocol allows RC firmware to remotely change power output in the AC.

2. Unofficial batteries rejection - one of the FW updates is believed to cause the drone no longer start if a non-dji battery is inserted. I don't have such battery, so I was never interested in details, versions etc. I also don't know if it was only one version, or if this continues. My sources confirm that Flight Controller recognizes unofficial batteries, so it is very easy for it to block starting motors by software when such battery is inserted.

3. DroneID protocol. While this doesn't concern Ph3 drones, all newer are affected. This was confirmed by many sources and evidence is hard. So Dji added the functionality which makes drones broadcast their position, heading, FC serial number, registration information, flight time, battery level, work mode etc. Anyone with a proper receiver can access that information. Dji made official statement about this functionality 8 months after it was introduced. For 8 months, they played dumb. There was also no option to disable this broadcast until the official reveal happened. Some of my sources claim the reveal was earlier than planned, because hackers noticed it, decrypted the protocol and published its specification - making much easier to receive it.

That's it for now, this post is getting long.

If it ain’t broke don’t let dji break it :)

I assume you're asking for examples.
Not exactly. I'm asking @JoBe to explain what he means. He keeps speaking of undesirable changes, but doesn't seem to want to reveal them for some reason.

Unless you treat them as unconfirmed knowledge, and therefore non-existent. While I am not able or not willing to confirm most of these as well, I do keep them in mind
Even if I was aware of such unconfirmed knowledge (which I'm not in this case), I see no point in wasting time to spread information that might not be true. I'm all about sharing factual data.

It was suggested that in firmware C1_FW_V01.06.0000 the power output of either RC, AC or both was nerfed. One Dji technician admitted it, later all were saying it is not true. Then Dji started saying that they keep the drone parameters within original spec after update, without discussing what was changed in detail. One person was able to confirm the change with a power meter, but results were questionable, as it isn't easy to correctly measure the power, especially in the AC - RC is easier. When I reached to my sources, I only got an answer that it is possible to control power of the transmitter by software and the drone does that, and the protocol allows RC firmware to remotely change power output in the AC.
So, DJI is currently saying this never happened and nobody can prove they did it? I guess this case can be closed then.

Unofficial batteries rejection - one of the FW updates is believed to cause the drone no longer start if a non-dji battery is inserted.
Most people don't use 3rd party batteries. And if DJI was blocking them, we'd certainly know about it since some people in this forum are using 3rd party batteries.

DroneID protocol. While this doesn't concern Ph3 drones, all newer are affected. This was confirmed by many sources and evidence is hard.
There's no need to hire a private investigator to prove or debunk this one since DJI released this detailed news article to explain it.

@msinger, you're very fast to disprove the rumors you claim to first hear about. It is interesting that you repeat my arguments only in one direction.

I provided arguments both ways, anyone can interpret them according to their knowledge and experience. As I wrote, I feel no need to go full Mulder on these. Not because I can't, but because I have other things to do.

For the 3rd case, I don't think you've read my description carefully. It is not the issue that they announced it, it's the issue that the FW update came out in martch/april 2017.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic