Updated shell cracked :/

Reaction score
So my 6 month old phantom 3 developed a small crack on the upper part of one of the arms. It's never been crashed. I guess I got hit with the dreaded crack issue. This is the updated model with better shell. I'm upset but it's still under warranty for a year I think. Will DJI still repair it at their cost? Any advice?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    996.2 KB · Views: 925
I've never seen a crack in that location. It does appear to be a defect though. Contact DJI support and see what they have to say.

Yep, thats exactly the crack my p3adv got after about 4 hours flight.
Since I live a long way away from any dji reps, I just bought some plast-aid
And repaired it myself. (Great stuff)

Unfortunately this crack is getting common among the newer version of the pro/adv.
Seems mor common on the advanced for som reason.

Let us know what dji says pleaee

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

So I just got off the phone with technical support. Took about 10 min wait, not bad. They sent me a shipping label and instructions on how and where to send the bird. They said the techs will have to determine if it's a stress crack and not damage from crashing. I never crashed this drone, there isn't a single scratch on the shell. Hopefully they don't pull any funny business. I wonder how they check to see if it's been crashed before. But from the pictures, doesn't it look like a stress crack?

But from the pictures, doesn't it look like a stress crack?
It was certainly stressed somehow. Either from normal flying, crashing, or storage.

Are you showing P4? Else something wrong with my phone, it shows a pic of P4.

I might be wrong. But the crack is for sure not one call (stress crack), stress crack mean crack start from area of extra stress such as bolt. This could be a manufacture defect and just become more visible with use-(vibration)

Well that's not good. I'm 100% sure this bird has never encountered a crash, or abuse. I just want to be sure DJI can confirm that and not claim anything funny.

I have exactly the same problem on my P3A, although my crack is in exactly the same place as this one, it is not so pronounced. I have flown about 8 hours since noticing it and it has not deteriorated in any way, I believe that as the crack is on the upper half of the shell, and as it is not supporting the motor, there shouldn't be any further deterioration.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Dounin Front
I have exactly the same problem on my P3A, although my crack is in exactly the same place as this one, it is not so pronounced. I have flown about 8 hours since noticing it and it has not deteriorated in any way, I believe that as the crack is on the upper half of the shell, and as it is not supporting the motor, there shouldn't be any further deterioration.

Thanks for your input. Most cracks ice seen were from the bottom and branch out of the screws. I don't want to take any chances, if DJI can fix it for free why not

Reactions: Dounin Front
Good call it will take time. But you'll get a new shell upper at least

Thanks for your input. Most cracks ice seen were from the bottom and branch out of the screws. I don't want to take any chances, if DJI can fix it for free why not
The P3 have an internal SD card which records all the data from your flights so if they find what looks like a crash (like a bump on something) they probably won't honor the warranty but that doesn't look look like a crash crack because the bottom around the screws would be cracked or warped.

The P3 have an internal SD card which records all the data from your flights so if they find what looks like a crash (like a bump on something) they probably won't honor the warranty but that doesn't look look like a crash crack because the bottom around the screws would be cracked or warped.

Cool that's an honest way to check. You just reminded me to put my camera SD card back in. I'll update this forum later when I get some news

When mine cracked I kept flying it, the crack slowly grew.
Even though it is on the top, it does affect the strength of the arm.

I was reading on the DJI website that there is no warranty on the frame. Not sure if that means the shell? I have had this drone for around 7-8 months. Is it even worth sending it in? I don't Want to go thru a hassle.

I was reading on the DJI website that there is no warranty on the frame. Not sure if that means the shell? I have had this drone for around 7-8 months. Is it even worth sending it in? I don't Want to go thru a hassle.
It's a defect. Send it in if they will take it. It looks pretty obvious and I'm sure they can replace the upper shell in less than 30 mins.

Do you have to pay for shipping?
If so how much compared to you buying a shell and replace it

Do you have to pay for shipping?
If so how much compared to you buying a shell and replace it

I don't have to pay to ship it there, but if it's not under warranty I'm sure I'll have to pay the return shipping. No biggie, they are located in the same city as me

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers