Updated hard case info

Reaction score
I'm going to get a hard case and have seen some old reviews on the board. I don't need ultra hard or air tight quality... just a nice case that will let me store and transport my pv2 with the rotors on and not have stowed items falling out of the foam.

I was looking at the trade craft for $179 based on what I've read in here.

Any updated info would be greatly appreciated!

andyparker said:
I'm going to get a hard case and have seen some old reviews on the board. I don't need ultra hard or air tight quality... just a nice case that will let me store and transport my pv2 with the rotors on and not have stowed items falling out of the foam.

I was looking at the trade craft for $179 based on what I've read in here.

Any updated info would be greatly appreciated!

I think that's the case I'm going to order. However, one user here states that you need to cut part of the foam in the lid to make room for the rotors. As I remember it, he stated that it's no big deal - just an exacto knife and some trimming where the blades would go.

By the way, the main reason I chose this case was because I travel a lot ... I understand that it fits quite nicely in overhead bins on airplaines, and it has wheels and a built-in pull handle :)

[![/quote]

I However, one user here states that you need to cut part of the foam in the lid to make room for the rotors. As I remember it, he stated that it's no big deal - :)[/quote]

It is a good idea to remove the props anytime in the case to prevent warpage
its a 10 second deal just take them off and no worrys

I received my trade craft case for my p2 and definitely recommend it. I'll take some pictures and have'em up for tomorrow.

skyhighdiver said:

I However, one user here states that you need to cut part of the foam in the lid to make room for the rotors. As I remember it, he stated that it's no big deal - :)[/quote]

It is a good idea to remove the props anytime in the case to prevent warpage
its a 10 second deal just take them off and no worrys[/quote]

I agree on this point.

Also, as someone who owns a case where the props need to be removed anyway - I can't see how a case big enough to hold a whole props-n-all Vision would fit into the overhead luggage compartment. Can you guys with such cases actually do that? Airlines here in Australia have a luggage tester made from metal tubing,as you check in. If your case doesn't fit into that then you can't carry it on board.
http://www.carlousmoochous.com/wp-conte ... C05833.jpg

@El rey.
Any of the cases that say they are airline approved I have not heard anyone say they have not brought them on a flight. Which I why I purchased the trade craft case for my p2

I have had my Tradecraft for about a month now and although I have not taken it on a flight yet am completely happy with it. Last Saturday morning at this time I carted it out to the end of the pier in Santa Barbara, California by the wheels and the pull up handle (just like a carry on luggage).

It just looks so much more professional and hence you will have even more on-lookers and questions as you will get the attention of many people. It's all in good fun!

Be safe!

I ordered my HPRC Phantom Vision Case on Jan 6. So far, the UPS guy hasn't delivered one to my door. :cry:

I have received 2 backorder updates and apologies from B&H. The weather is the Big Story here and I haven't missed any opportunities not having an all-in-one transport case....yet.

No delivery by March however, I'll cancel.

Ostensibly, the HPRC comes with cut foam so there is no putzing around cutting weird shapes or pulling out pre-cut foam mini-blocks. The HPRC appears to be Pelikan-like ( a good thing) with a built-in set of rollers and an extensible handle. I schlepped photo gear around for 30 years; a case WITHOUT wheels is a major drawback. With no rollers (or convenient handle) one needs an ADDITIONAL roll cart of some kind.

This March I may be researching alternatives (with rollers and handles as described). Can someone please post a link for the Tradecraft case?? Any other suggestions? $200-300 is not a lot to protect a $2K investment. Thanks.

Ron

Sounds like the trade craft is the way to go... This board never disappoints for information. Thanks to the quick replies!

My AA flight yesterday was on an MD-80 with 2+3 seating. The Tradecraft case did not fit in the overhead on the 2 seat side but did on the 3 seat side. It didn't fit wheels in so I had to turn it lengthwise. If the plane is full and you're one of the last on board, there might not be room.

Security was a "fun" experience. I have 2 artificial hips and almost always set off the metal detector. At about the same time, the Xray crew said they wanted to see inside the case. One guy was patting me down while another was pulling things out of the case and wiping it down for the explosive detector. He was really impressed and kept saying he wanted one. My fiance waited patiently to the side while we had our "guy moment".

I also have the Tradecraft case. I too, recommend removing the props. The pre-cut section for the props has an extra piece of foam in the bottom that can be removed to make the hole deeper to store spare props as well. The battery charger hole is similarly depth adjustable.

Richard,

Muchos Gracias for the link to Tradecraft!

As for a travel case, I personally don't plan to travel (much) with my Phantom (at least in commercial airplanes). However, there are many loose "bits" to bring to any location and the basic pieces can be easily damaged (my FPV is an iPad Mini) - so it makes sense to to have a convenient, cushioned, all-in-one box. Besides, a Pelikan travel case is also a nice "privacy container." Looks professional, too. This helps with the many folks who like authority.

Later this year I'll be in Costa Rica and will bring my Phantom; I'll report back what this travel experience was like. I plan to check the Phantom into baggage, not carry-on. The scanner may see my genitals, but the TSA blueshirts won't see my Phantom... :D I know that less than 5% of all baggage on domestic flights gets scanned. On internationals, it's slightly higher (depending on destination country).

Ron

Hey hollowneck I also ordered the hprc case from bh, because I really like the options and looks like better prop protection, I called them this morning and was told they should ship out to customers next week. Will post on quality when it gets here.

I went with the Go Professional case through B&H. Very happy with it. Good protection and it easily fits in the overhead on airliners.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj