Update Recommendations P3A

Reaction score
I haven't had time to fly for a while, or even to lurk this site. I think I'm getting too old to keep up with the technology any more. My FW versions are AC 1.8.80, RC 1.6.0, Go app 3.1.3. Don't ask me how/why I arrived at these,, I've slept since then. Everything has updates available, AC, RC, Camera, and Batteries.
I use the drone (when I had time) to watch the deer, hogs, and cows around my place. I'm not interested in how far or how long I can go, I just want to be able to see where I am on GoogleMaps, not this mess with the Chinese writhing on top of everything. I don't take the bird anywhere else, not near airports, and I don't go over 200 ft most times. So , I would appreciate suggestions on which versions are the most stable, simple, and easy to upgrade/downgrade to. I never had this much hassle flying airplanes. Course they weren't Chinese. :)
Thanks to all who share their time and wisdom on this site,, Well Done. Gary

Gary, I'm kinda like you. I don't go for distances, etc, I just like photographing sunsets and pretty things and don't go out more than a few hundred feet. I have not updated my AC and RC for a year or more. I also do not log in or connect to the internet. My thinking is, if it runs fine now, I'm not gonna upgrade and take a chance messing things up. I know there will be several replies for you here, and all have merit. But I believe in not messing with a good thing. If it works, leave it alone and enjoy. Let's see what the forum says.

Reactions: GWTX
I spent my life in the aircraft business, and my firm belief is if it is not broken, do not fix it. Most of the 'improvements' which are advertised in updates are for someone other than you. Ask Microsoft.

I have the P3A also and below is what I am using and am perfectly happy with it as it is.
Phantom 3 Advanced Software
as of 08 28 2016 to present
DJI Go 2.8.1
Aircraft 1.9.60
Remote C 1.6.0
Flight Controller sn 03Z0243119

Reactions: quaddamage and GWTX
Thanks for the replies, and sharing your info. Kirby, do you get g--gle maps without any problems with the 2.8.1 Go version?
That's one of only two problems I'm having now, and both are related to DJI GO. No problem with the batteries or camera that I am aware of, so I probably won't update those. I am looking to switch to a different "GO" version.

Thanks for the replies, and sharing your info. Kirby, do you get g--gle maps without any problems with the 2.8.1 Go version?
That's one of only two problems I'm having now, and both are related to DJI GO. No problem with the batteries or camera that I am aware of, so I probably won't update those. I am looking to switch to a different "GO" version.
Yeah, I get G***le maps just like a few years ago when I first bought my little toy. There was a time back around when DJI went to the other maps, I forget what they are called, and DJI Go forced everyone to update DJI Go. There is a well known work around for that which I installed loooong ago and I have not had one issue since.

To install the old Go version, (on Android) I had to download the APK and install it 'manually' as they call it. All it ivolves is clicking on downloads and telling your phone to install it although it warns you not to.

And thinking a little more about this, I also use Litchi and Ultimate flight, not much, mind you, and they both seem to work fine for small little waypoint missions around the subdivision which are for sure out of VLOS.

Thanks Kirby. I finally found 2.8.3, for my P3A. I couldn't find a copy of 2.8.1. I downloaded, transferred to the tablet SD card, installed, and now I get the msg that I HAVE to update. How do I get around this. I'm about ready to put it up for sale, or use it for target practice. I have seen some of the fixes, and I tried doing the mod on my pc , but couldn't figure out how to get it back into the tablet to replace the .json file. I cleared cache, and data, and uninstalled GO. Reinstalled, and I don't get the nag,,,,,until I allow it to connect to load the maps. It apparently rebuilds the files to cause the nag again.
When I connect to the AC, things don't look right. It says all the firmware is up to date. All the controls work, and I started it but I'll not try to fly until I get everything right,,,even if I have to go back to 3.1.3 and do without google maps. Thanks for your help. Gary

I got the nag stopped by editing the json file as per the instructions on this site, thainks. I haven't had time to do a lot of checking. Still getting the chinese map on startup. Will work more later.
Thanks

I did a little research and NOW remember that the phone has to be rooted, and you edit your hosts file. Sorry, it was so long ago that I forgot all that and may have led you down the wrong path.

On a rooted android phone install an app called the 'Host Editor'.

Alright here's how:
1. Install Hosts Editor from Play Store.
2. Add the following entry:
IP Address: 127.0.0.1
Hostname: upgrade.bgcentre.com
3. Clear your DJI Go app cache
4. Run the Go App
5. Enjoy nag free Go App with Google Maps [?IMG]:).

Tested on version 2.9.1 of the Go App
#4spectra9, Today at 11:24 AM

Thanks Kirby. I never have got around to "rootin" my tablet. I may have to. As of this morning, no "must" nag, BUT NO GOOGLE MAPS,,,,yet. 0verything else seems to be back to normal, time and testing will tell. Thanks again, I appreciate any and all help. Gary

Last edited:
I run my P3A with:
DJI Go is 3.1.0
P3A is 1.5.30+
Controller is 1.8.0

But I actually use Litchi almost all the time now. No issues at all so far, I keep my internet connection off all the time.

Thanks for the input gingerbloke. Litchi looks and sounds very interesting. Don't know if I'm up to the learining curve anymore. Too many other things to keep track of,, and not enough "stuff" to keep track with. I would just like to have a good mapping program, and stable system. And not have to keep up with which update is good, and which ones are not.
I just want to fly, look, and take pictures. If I was going to a 3rd party system, It would be Litchi. Thanks again, Gary

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers