*UPDATE* P3P flips after only seconds in the air and lands hard in the water

Reaction score
After having flown nearly 2,000,000 feet without incident, my beloved P3P ended up flipping upside down after only a short distance from take off and slammed into the lake that I often fly over. Was able to grab it out of the water however, it had already become submerged. Dried it off the best I could with hairdryer and no connection between RC and copter appeared. The gimbal would move however, it started to smoke a bit and I just pulled the battery and will contact DJI. At this point, it's probably time to start thinking about its replacement. I'll keep all posted.

Last edited:
**** Bra, they make RC boats for you water enthusiasts! You can put the little FPV cam on and everything![emoji41]

Reactions: flpholt
Last edited:
that is horrible I know how you feel that really sucks

Too bad being good flying weather everywhere.

It may recover after a good dry out. Sounds like it wasn't wet very long nor very deep.

That sucks big mutch! I remember you staying that if you already have a P3 the P4 was not that big of a jump to upgrade, and I agree. Now this incident is a game changer for you maybe. I did not think the P3 had a microphone, it must have cuse it probably herd you talking that you are considering a typhoon H and decided to end it all! Best of luck on your next bird.

I'm just a bit aggravated as I've flown from this same spot many times including yesterday on 7 batteries. The only thing I can think of is I had the windsurfers on and was taking off while sitting next to the P3P, of course the antennas weren't yet pointed at the bird. I don't think a brief loss of signal on takeoff would cause it to flip upside down and drop that HARD. At this point I feel I got more than my moneys worth and if DJI wants to assist me great otherwise, I have a whole lot of stuff to unload should I opt for something different. In regards to the Typhoon H, I think that the limited range will disappoint me. I may just splurge for the Inspire 1 Pro.

Reactions: Phantom-Four
I'm just a bit aggravated as I've flown from this same spot many times including yesterday on 7 batteries. The only thing I can think of is I had the windsurfers on and was taking off while sitting next to the P3P, of course the antennas weren't yet pointed at the bird. I don't think a brief loss of signal on takeoff would cause it to flip upside down and drop that HARD. At this point I feel I got more than my moneys worth and if DJI wants to assist me great otherwise, I have a whole lot of stuff to unload should I opt for something different. In regards to the Typhoon H, I think that the limited range will disappoint me. I may just splurge for the Inspire 1 Pro.
Yay!!! I want an Inspire too! Do or you ain't got a hair.....lol

Man, always sucks to hear these stories. But I have heard more than one story about this things taking a swim and getting dried out and running like a champ. But heck Bud, if you're talking about upgrading to the Inspire 1 Pro, if I had enough green for one of those, I'd buy it now and use the P3P as a back-up drone. Decisions decisions...

The flipping upside down is weird as if you may have lost a motor or its controler. The inspire is a nice quad I really like the 360 gimbal. Did you see the rumor pics that show a second front view camera for pilot on the inspirer, that would be for me the ultimat video machine. If dji makes it the price may also be ultimat.

Too bad being good flying weather everywhere.

It may recover after a good dry out. Sounds like it wasn't wet very long nor very deep.
Yeah a good dry out woulda helped it , but did I read something about turning it on too early and seeing smoke.

didn't someone say put it in rice will absorb the water out of it

Reactions: Shantok
Too bad, hope you get a good compensation.

Bag of rice to dry it out completely sounds wonky that it would just keel over like that. I just sent mine back. After 1,000,000 feet of flying. I heard what I thought was a bearing going in one of the motors. I'm betting it was a motor fail or ESC. Sorry for your loss. Did you buy that Typhoon? Thought you did.

Phone in rice works great if dropped in water, but it would take a huge bag to put a complete phantom in...lol..not to mention you would never get all the rice out of it...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Phone in rice works great if dropped in water, but it would take a huge bag to put a complete phantom in...lol..not to mention you would never get all the rice out of it...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
I guess I should have been more specific..

Put the Phantom in an airtight bag with a thick layer of rice at the bottom. The rice absorbs the water vapor. Basically sucks the water out. Many people on this forum have done it and successfully recovered their Phantom without the need for a repair.

Good luck..

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: flpholt
Contacted DJI and set up a case with them. The rep mentioned it's unlikely they'll ask for me to send it in since they don't repair any that have been submerged. I sent in the flight log as instructed along with completed claim form and receipt. He mentioned they'll likely offer me something however, I don't know what that "something" will amount to. Will keep you posted.

Last edited:
Reactions: John N Kronyak
I've always wanted an inspire but two things always change my mind before purchasing. One, shorter battery time for flying. Two, when an inspire comes down, that is just too much money to lose. Good luck getting airborne again, whichever way you choose.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers