Update Helps Locate You

Reaction score
It's appearing in the news more today that the FAA is testing systems to locate YOU. They currently are saying it is to better locate those flying near airports. From there who knows what agencies will be coming to your Home Point location of and flight.

As it is now, they have what they need to gather information from your aircraft while in flight. It should be no secret that dji is going to do their part which should explain why changes are being made with the R/C in this next update.

Now before anyone goes into a panic attack, the fact is, if you are not doing anything wrong it should not matter.

But my concern will be from those who either have the access to such equipment, or those with the knowledge and/or resources to also know your Home Point location. Say you have a half drunk that shows up with any kind of weapons to rain down havoc on you and your family should your Home Point been at your house. Maybe this half crazed guy thinks when you flew 150ft over his house that you were taking video or pic's of his wife while she out by the pool in their backyard. Anyway, I think you get the idea on how something like this could become dangerous in the wrong hands. Without spending a lot of time I was only able to come up with the video below that just came out which says something on the FAA and testing here below.

There are some other areas of interest that you may need to know. Once you install this next update there will be NO turning back! You will NOT be able to load older firmware to remove it. If you know for sure that you don't want this update or not sure yet, make sure you at least uncheck the auto update on your app. They do have the ability to force updates on your stuff as long as you are internet connected. Otherwise it is impossible.

This next part I do not have any experience on or with. It is some ares of interest that I came across over the past few days. I have read from a couple of different people that say they have experienced reduced distance with their aircraft. Even Inspire1 pilot's have said the speed of their aircraft was slowed down, and they're pissed. Now I do know that the sdk firmware has been out since the end of last month being used by many that use the non dji app's. It is the firmware version 1.05.0011 they are working with. As I say I don't know if there is a loss or not. With all the 5-8 mile video's posted I wouldn't be surprised. And the only real-true way of knowing will need to come from either seeing it written in the code, or from a device used that measures output from our R/C's. Btw, the 5-8 mile type video's should have never been posted in the public eye and needed to have been posted in a private forum where only certain member group's had access to.

My overall thoughts on the coming changes are..... I plan to wait before downloading. Good Luck to all!

Keep your Android or iOS device in 'Airplane Mode'. Install apps via the USB port. Without a connection to the internet, there is little possibility of the FAA or anyone else to gather your flight data.

Reactions: Mike Mauk
You touched on a couple of points that made me post here recently that 1.4 will be the last FW update that I make. It was said at the time however that I was spreading conspiracy theories, but I don't think so.

A pervasive government often tells people, "if you are not doing anything wrong, it shouldn't matter to you." Well, I don't do anything wrong but it does still matter to me. My P3 will not see 1.5. Sadly, it also means that I probably won't get a P4.

Last edited:
You touched on a couple of points that made me post here recently that 1.4 will be the last FW update that I make. It was said at the time however that I was spreading conspiracy theories, but I don't think so.

A pervasive government often tells people, "if you are not doing anything wrong, it shouldn't matter to you." Well, I don't do anything wrong but it does still matter to me. My P3 will not see 1.5.

I was told the same thing when I shared that the flight logs can be accessed at anytime if you go online. Btw, the flight logs show your info, even where you launch from. But they want to know where you were are even while in flight.

Reactions: Oso
If the FAA wants to know where you are or where you fly from, they just need to get the data from the various places that let you upload "logs" and decode them. Same with law enforcement. Have you looked at the privacy policies of some of them? They say they can sell the data to 3rd parties. So all those uploading logs to get the actual data from the logs are in turn making your flight patterns locations etc. available to third parties. Just a word about reading privacy policies and being aware of where you upload and share data.

Alan

Reactions: B- Scene Films
The NSA is already collecting all 'upstream' data. So they have everything you uploaded already. Doubtful they'll share that info with the FAA since everyone is asking what the hell does the NSA do with all that data anyway?

I doubt the FAA will do anything about this matter. They dropped the ball on the last deadline and to CYA they announced a 1.9 million dollar fine against a drone company to make it look like somebody at the FAA is doing something.

Last month the secret service was testing anti drone methods at the Whitehouse to try to figure out how to knock drones like ours out the sky. There is little they can do, they can jam the RC signal but the drone can be programmed RTH or fly by GPS waypoints. The only way they can override the GPS is to spoof GPS and that would wreck all GPS in the DC area. The bottom line is unless DJI somehow makes a government back door to have a high powerful universal remote control to take over the aircraft from us, they are up sht creek until then.

I wouldn't doubt if the FBI and SS are giving instructions to DJI on their wishlist (backdoors) and telling DJI to comply to face enuff regulations to go out of business here. They already bark orders like that at Apple and Google over encryption on phones so they can hijack them from us.

The FBI compelled nearly all ISP and telecoms to turn over their phone records on 2/01/01 and the one who didn't went to prison. At this point I'd assume that DJI either voluntarily forwards all their metadata on our flight logs to the NSA or they get them upstreamed from spliced fiber cases at US access points. If you ever uploaded to 'the cloud' you sent a copy to the NSA forever.

Wait until somebody starts flying one of these around the border of Area 51. I'll bet on public land you can get a decent video of the base.

6b94a5a3492799f22622392eaa882d0c.jpg

The bottom line is unless DJI somehow makes a government back door to have a high powerful universal remote control to take over the aircraft from us, they are up sht creek until then.
This I think is the main objective of the next FW. A new encryption protocol which will be shared with governments. It's one of the reasons that downgrading to an earlier FW will be disabled after 1.5.

As noted, Apple gets this same request and they have famously pushed back on providing the ability. Well, at least they say they are pushing back. ;-)

Public land or not, they will arrest you for photography:

fgsg2.jpg

Naw, I've been there 3 times. I video taped and took photos and didn't get arrested. I even lite up the camo dudes with a million watt spot light at night. They didn't like that.

If you pass the posted signs what will happen is security will detain you until the sheriff arrives, takes you to jail for a few hours and pay a $500 fine. If you don't go to jail the camo dudes will do their best to get your license plate number and enter it into the locate security database. One entry is fine, but if you license plate ever comes up twice, EVER, you are become a person of interest to the FBI. Then for about 6 months they tap your phone and internet to find out why you have a hobby of visiting the base that don't exist so often.

That said if you are on public land it would be legal to go up 500 feet and record the base (you won't see much its around 20 miles from public land). Hell the hill that block you from viewing the base where that sign is located is only a hundred feet high. They'd probably shoot down the quadcopter after they launch a big chopper after ya.

When the P4 or P5 comes out and can do 10 or 20 miles in range this will get interesting on how they'll secure these deep bases into the desert.

The NSA is already collecting all 'upstream' data. So they have everything you uploaded already. Doubtful they'll share that info with the FAA since everyone is asking what the hell does the NSA do with all that data anyway?

I doubt the FAA will do anything about this matter. They dropped the ball on the last deadline and to CYA they announced a 1.9 million dollar fine against a drone company to make it look like somebody at the FAA is doing something.

Last month the secret service was testing anti drone methods at the Whitehouse to try to figure out how to knock drones like ours out the sky. There is little they can do, they can jam the RC signal but the drone can be programmed RTH or fly by GPS waypoints. The only way they can override the GPS is to spoof GPS and that would wreck all GPS in the DC area. The bottom line is unless DJI somehow makes a government back door to have a high powerful universal remote control to take over the aircraft from us, they are up sht creek until then.

I wouldn't doubt if the FBI and SS are giving instructions to DJI on their wishlist (backdoors) and telling DJI to comply to face enuff regulations to go out of business here. They already bark orders like that at Apple and Google over encryption on phones so they can hijack them from us.

The FBI compelled nearly all ISP and telecoms to turn over their phone records on 2/01/01 and the one who didn't went to prison. At this point I'd assume that DJI either voluntarily forwards all their metadata on our flight logs to the NSA or they get them upstreamed from spliced fiber cases at US access points. If you ever uploaded to 'the cloud' you sent a copy to the NSA forever.

Wait until somebody starts flying one of these around the border of Area 51. I'll bet on public land you can get a decent video of the base.

Funny thing... In my neighborhood, an air base that shut down in 1997 is a NFZ... I looked up Area 51, and it's not a DJI NFZ!!! Hahahaha

Also make sure you back up a few copies of the Current/preview DJI Go App or if you have any previous version saved in your computers.. keep it.. in case DJI update the app to make it only work with the new firmware....

Never be in a hurry to update your firmware if the current firmware is "good enough"... wait to see is always good advice for firmware & software updates.

A pervasive government often tells people, "if you are not doing anything wrong, it shouldn't matter to you." Well, I don't do anything wrong but it does still matter to me. My P3 will not see 1.5. Sadly, it also means that I probably won't get a P4.
Isn't this just paranoia, or have I underestimated the severity of the problem across the pond again?

Isn't this just paranoia, or have I underestimated the severity of the problem across the pond again?
Absolutely its only paranoia. Nobody ever collects personal data and nobody wants to control where drones fly. No worries!

Reactions: JoBe and snowghost
Absolutely its only paranoia. Nobody ever collects personal data and nobody wants to control where drones fly. No worries!
Oh, that's alright then. I thought you were being serious for a minute there.

Reactions: JustinJ
If pilots where to fly responsibly then there would not have been all the problems we are seeing no w.Things like filming where told its illegal see post above, why ?? just being clever .

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20