Upcoming max lift test (maybe)

Reaction score
Haven't seen many videos around were people tried to test the limits of just how much the phantom can lift, so I have an idea on how find out just how much the phantom can lift using a fish scale and some rope. Ok, so today if I can find my old scale, I was going to tie one part of the rope to something fixed to the ground and the other side to the bottom of the scale, and the other piece of rope to the top of the scale to the phantom. Then once everything is setup, I'll take the phantom up until the rope is nice and tight and then give it full lift and write down how much weight it tops out at. (I'll be testing this in gps/atti/and manual) Then to confirm my results, I'll try to lift that same amount of weight in an actual flight. So with that said, do you think this would be a good idea, or do you think it would hurt the phantom by putting to much of a strain on it? Also might have to subtract the weight of the actual scale and rope to get a more accurate reading since I'll be lifting the scale instead of hanging it from something... I think that should do the trick.

I don't see any issues regarding damaging the Phantom in any way unless it becomes entangled in your setup. :)

But what your measuring is thrust not payload or lift capabilities. I'm not an engineer in this field but some power must be reserved for flight and control. Maybe someone else can elaborate.

Also note that thrust decreases with altitude. ;)

Reactions: RichWest
N017RW said:
I don't see any issues regarding damaging the Phantom in any way unless it becomes entangled in your setup. :)

But what your measuring is thrust not payload or lift capabilities. I'm not an engineer in this field but some power must be reserved for flight and control. Maybe someone else can elaborate.

Also note that thrust decreases with altitude. ;)

Well that's a bummer, I really thought I was onto something for a second lol, guess it's back to the *can I lift this thing* method. At least I learned a few new things today.

In a way you are touching on how to match props and motors to evaluate efficiency by comparing thrust to current draw.

If the P2 has a flight time/mass curve anything like that, It shows that the very rough estimate of 1g=1s of flight time is not too far out around the 1300-1500g range. Close enough for first approximation anyway.

What ever happened to just flying and taking pictures/videos?

Nothing, lots and lots of folks are doing it.

Others like to experiment, explore, invent, etc. These folks help bring innovation to this hobby.

I'll submit that unless people were willing to test things such as weight capacity, etc. You wouldn't have a phantom with which to fly and take pictures/video.

This hobby is far from any capability plateaus.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers