Unstable

Reaction score
My software & firmware are up to date and I have now flown around 12 batteries worth with no issues in either Phantom or NAZA modes. However, today I fired it up in GPS NAZA mode [GPS all green lights] and hovered as usual for a bit around 3m. It did not appear to hold in the usual GPS radius but started off in one direction with the sticks centred. I checked S1 and S2 position were both at top position and brought it back to the start point. It then started to fly off in another direction gaining height and speed [sticks still centred] but I managed to bring it back and land OK. After power cycling TX and Vision, everything was back to normal and it behaved perfectly for the rest of the battery. Anyone else experience this?

Make sure to start up the transmitter with the sticks untouched. I think they register 'center' during power up, so if the sticks are unintentionally pushed during power up, it'll record that deviation as center.

OK thanks Leo. I wasn't aware of touching the sticks during power up of the TX but will certainly try to avoid in future. If that was the cause, I'm happy that it's not a bug....

Worth plugging it into the Assistant and checking the stick calibrations. Also check to see if an IMU calibration is needed. The IMU sensors will naturally drift from time to time and it is normal to need a recalibration every so often even if you haven't pranged it. It may also be a slightly off compass, but again the Assistant software will allow you to look at the calibration parameters and if any are outside expected ranges you can calibrate them true again.

LeoS said:
Make sure to start up the transmitter with the sticks untouched. I think they register 'center' during power up, so if the sticks are unintentionally pushed during power up, it'll record that deviation as center.

That could be it, as the manual does say the sticks should be centered before turning on the transmitter with the S1 and S2 switches up. It's within the realm of possibility that the center positions could have been incorrectly registered and simply recycling the power corrected it.

Thanks Pull Up, everything worked normally after a power cycle so sticks, compass etc should be fine but I'll check it all out before my next flight.

Ben, Yes I'm hoping that that was the problem - another case of 'pilot error' :D

LeoS said:

Not the case. In Fact the original phantom didn't have a centring throttle (it what's known as a ratcheting type) I have since modded my Tx to be centre return, tho I noticed while completing my rebuild that it doesn't quite return to 0, usually finds -47 or 11. I might need to sand down the piece or use a better spring?

When I turn my Tx on, it actually beeps (like, "beeeeeeeep . . Beep-beep" repeating) until I push my throttle down to zero!

Not that I've tried it, but I assume the later model Tx's could be modded to a ratcheting type for those who prefer manual flying, that would mean the throttle could be anywhere on power up.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31