Unstable flight before Broken Gimbal

Reaction score
For the most part, my experience with my PV2+ has been fantastic! Incredible integration of multiple technologies.

I had a bounce landed a couple of weeks ago (came down hard after it lost control on descent). Camera was "twitching". Shut it off, and when it restarted, all was good. Made 8-10 flights since then without incident.

Yesterday, when I was doing a demo flight for a friend, the flight was not stable immediately (e.g., it would drift rather badly and randomly in different directions). (Yes, I did the compass calibration before I flew). It was hard to control, but I got it down successfully. But when it landed, I noticed that of the gimbal motors had separated, and the magnetic material inside the "cap" had been chipped/damaged. I snapped the cap back on the motor and tried another flight. Same unstable results.

So a couple of questions:

1) What would cause the platform to be so unstable. In the past, any time I would let go of the controls, it would simply hover in place (as expected). If the camera was hanging by the ribbon cable flopping around, would that cause unstable flight characteristics?
2) What holds the "cap" onto the gimbal motor (see pic)? It won't stay attached and seems loose. Was it a "press fit" that is now loose? Would a little dab of adhesive hold it in place?
3) With the "chunks" missing from what appears to be a magnetic strip around the inside of the gimbal cap harm performance?

Any chance I can get this repaired by DJI? Can I repair it myself?

Attachments

• Gimbal problem 1.jpg
    Gimbal problem 1.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 675
  • Gimbal probem 2.jpg
    Gimbal probem 2.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 594
  • Gimbal problem 3.jpg
    Gimbal problem 3.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 620
The shaft has after shearing. Look closely and you'll see the end of the bar is most likely rugged. It doesnt just snap back on even though most people assume it does I'm afraid. It's a dji expensive fix until they start selling spare parts which hundreds of people are waiting on

If its simply pressed on, it would seem to be a poor design. Much stress would be applied to that coupling point. Perhaps a better solution is a shaft with a screw or other fastener attaching the cap.

Anyone know how critical the integrity of the chipped-up magnetic strip around the inside is?

I'm thinking I should attempt to bond the cap to the shaft with an adhesive - see if that solves the problem.

It would definitely be nice if reasonably priced replacement parts were available. As cool as this device is, I'm NOT buying another one just to have it break or flake out again.

I've submitted a trouble ticket at DJI. Haven't heard back (other than the auto-response when I first submitted). How does one get a RMA?

Hey Jon... Sounds kind of like what I've had happen to me (twice).. Check my 2 threads..

Did you notice the color and blinking pattern (if any) of the status LEDs while this was going on?

Jay

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4