Unpredictably unstable p3s...help

Reaction score
so I have a p3s with only 19 flights, when it was out the box it was amazing to fly ridiculously stable with the newest firmware. Since then I have put magic power on it that has given me extensive range on my video feed.
My concern is now flying today its all over the place. up, down, left and right. The stability has just vanished.

I have new props on order as I was silly let my beloved friend have a go flying, he got carried away and snapped a prop with a small crash. I replaced the broken one and carried on flying with no problems. Could this have caused further damage I cant se?

It flies fine in the air but the GPS hold, hover is no where near as good as once was. I'm very particular with my things, I look after my belonging like a baby.... especially my toys.

I re-calibrate every flight and have done some reading but nothing yet has helped my problem and further advice would be awesome. I am new to the Phantom world thanks for taking time out to help.

After a small crash it could help to recalibrate the IMU to get the sensors aligned. That could help the issue, possibly.

thanks I have tried that, and I'm actually doing it again now. I'm wondering is there a possibility a prop is bent/damaged that I cant se .

Before spending lots of energy investigating the hardware be sure you have considered environmental factors. Even slight differences in breeze (wind) will impact the Phantom 3 Standard's ability to hold its hover. The number of GPS satellites will also play into this equation. My own experience is that I see differences flight by flight in my perception of how stable the Phantom 3 is.

Reactions: 120CCPM
im in the UK so no best buy here, but soon enough i have 2 pairs that should arrive from DJI, however i have some spare so i will change and try tomorrow but i have a feeling that is not the problem, just because they all look good.

Speaking from experience, even the smallest little nick or ding on a prop can cause a jittery, unstable flight. Often it looks OK in flight, but very obvious when you download the shaky video. While you replaced the broken prop, after even a minor crash, another prop or two may have a nick or bent out of shape. Good clean props are cheap and makes a world of difference. Good luck.

So today I tried with new props and flight was just the same. Also my video feed was the worst its ever been so I'm clearly having some kind of signal or balance fault. I'm going to remove the magic power mod and re asses. Thanks for all of your support

Also you may Have just broken it when you crashed. Never let friends fly your drone it ends in tears.

yeah i gathered that, what may have i off broken? all motors are ok and spin well. there is no cracks, signs of damage.
When he crashed it was only minor and only broke a inch from one of the blades. Compass seems to be fine.
One thing i have now noticed is that it always "warms up" for ages beforwe i can fly

One thing i have now noticed is that it always "warms up" for ages beforwe i can fly

Redo an IMU calibration when the AC is cold, that should help with the warmup time. No need to go to extreme cold, just try to do the calibration at the lower end of the range of temperatures you'll be flying in.

Yes I have another set of props arriving today, I took a Video yesterday and will take another one today with another set if it's still the same, just in case my spare new props are not good. I also purchased a new gimbal gaurd and got the wrong one it's only good for advanced and pro so if anyone can make use of it, failing I can't return it. First to inbox address with receive it free.

OK ... Stop keep calibrating it ...

Do a decent IMU calibration and then a decent Compass claibration well away from any interference. Then LEAVE it alone !!

You only need to recalibrate after FW updates, repairs or you move SIGNIFICANT distance from original flight site ... and I am talking 100miles or so ...

Advice to keep calibrating is rubbish .. sorry to be blunt - even DJI manual basically says to do it when flying different location.

Change the props ....

Loosen motor mount screws .... check motors are bedded properly ... Blue Threadlock (NOT RED) on the screws and refasten motors. The knock by your pal may have caused one or more motor to be moved ...
To break 1" of end of prop is actually not a slight knock ... I've had knocks on mine and props are still fine.

Go over all screws and gear ... make sure all tight.

Other than that ?????

Nigel

so here is a link of yesterday flight with new props and calibrations, its only a short recording as i accidentally deleted the proper flight recording (probably a good job as it was so unstable it makes me sick, not to mention dangerous to fly). This vidio is actually stable in comparison.

Today i went to the beach and tried something knew, i forgot each time to remove my I watch. Alongside this, i did a nice slow calibration with the same props as yesterday and wolla! flight is as good as knew. No moving all over the show, nice and steady and once again safe to fly.

I believe the "I watch" and maybe rushed calibration messed with the compass so much it trashed the flight. It could also be the fact i removed magic power but i do not think this is the case or others would have the issue also, but my feed was better today without magic power.

I normally fly in new locations but local in town so no further than 20 miles apart. Am i safe not to do the calibration every time?

I know there will be someone argue with me ... but I am confident and sure that once good calibration is made - LEAVE IT ALONE !!

The old saying "Don't fix what aint broke" ......

Calibration of compass is only needed if you move significant distance to alter the earths natural variation .. and that needs 100 miles or more.
I've been professionally using compasses for many years - my original career was a professional navigator - trained to swing and correct compasses etc.
I still use them as a yachtie ... and we don't go round recalibrating / correcting compasses when cruising !!

Glad to hear you found the cause ........... now relax, go enjoy !!

Nigel

Reactions: 00kingi
I know there will be someone argue with me ... but I am confident and sure that once good calibration is made - LEAVE IT ALONE !!

The old saying "Don't fix what aint broke" ......

Calibration of compass is only needed if you move significant distance to alter the earths natural variation .. and that needs 100 miles or more.
I've been professionally using compasses for many years - my original career was a professional navigator - trained to swing and correct compasses etc.
I still use them as a yachtie ... and we don't go round recalibrating / correcting compasses when cruising !!

Glad to hear you found the cause ........... now relax, go enjoy !!

Nigel
Thanks buddy. I think I will take your advice

If you get to a location and you get warning about Compass interference etc. DO NOT RECALIBRATE !!

Move away from the spot .. restart all units RC / AC and Go ... you will most likely find the warning has gone ...

That's because there may have been iron / steel works under you ... anything that could cause magnetic disturbance. If you had calibrated - guess what ..... your AC is now calibrated to 'crap' !! Once it lifts off and gets away from it ... ??
OK - if the local disturbance is that bad - and you try to calibrate - the results will most likely be outside of acceptable range and the P3 will likely still warn you.

Just switch all off ... move away and switch all on again ...

Nigel

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj