Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Registration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
If you own a drone, you must register it with the Federal Aviation Administration's Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) registry. A federal law effective December 21, 2015 requires unmanned aircraft registration, and you are subject to civil and criminal penalties if you do not register. The FAA site for it.

Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Registration

Wonder what took them so long, I wonder how many folks will bite at this. And as usual the government is about to make a ton of money. I believe it's a good start but it will be a bad ending. There will be folks out there that will not comply. Those are the ones that will make drone flying hard for others. What's the good about this is those folks that refuse to fly there drone in safe open places and think they are immune to do whatever, like getting in the way of firefighters, and flying around airports etc. Those folks that fly around those places no that they are wrong.
And to be honest you folks that think you are so good at flying those drones in those areas are really not that good at all. Just daredevils!
So the new law on the surface sounds bad, but in reality I believe it will keep most folks honest.
I live about 9 miles from the airport, and even then there will be low flying planes that need a runway and will fly low over my house to land, maybe 1500 feet or more. Believe me when I say I don't even look at my drone to fly. I don't want to be in a conversation about someone saw a drone in the area, even at ten miles away.
So I can look at this in two ways, one, there are to many fools out there flying, or two, the government is looking to a way to make some money. Could be both.

Camtech you are right in many ways, however you do license your car for basically the same reason, identification. Same thing. $5 every 3 years isn't bad and if you do it within 30 days it is free! Number does not have to be visible, it can be put inside the battery compartment or any area that is accessible without tools. I understand that the rule is for fixed wings as well. AMA is unhappy and they were on the panel! Lawsuit propably coming.

I agree, the law is no different than any fixed wing, automobile, boats , etc. registration laws. I have no problem with the law, however I hate to be told what to do, but this new law is a good one. I would not want yo harm anyone due to reckless flying. So I'm not worried because I fly responsibly.
And like you said what is five dollars.
Robert

Reactions: Discoverydave
Wonder what took them so long, I wonder how many folks will bite at this. And as usual the government is about to make a ton of money. I believe it's a good start but it will be a bad ending. There will be folks out there that will not comply. Those are the ones that will make drone flying hard for others. What's the good about this is those folks that refuse to fly there drone in safe open places and think they are immune to do whatever, like getting in the way of firefighters, and flying around airports etc. Those folks that fly around those places no that they are wrong.
And to be honest you folks that think you are so good at flying those drones in those areas are really not that good at all. Just daredevils!
So the new law on the surface sounds bad, but in reality I believe it will keep most folks honest.
I live about 9 miles from the airport, and even then there will be low flying planes that need a runway and will fly low over my house to land, maybe 1500 feet or more. Believe me when I say I don't even look at my drone to fly. I don't want to be in a conversation about someone saw a drone in the area, even at ten miles away.
So I can look at this in two ways, one, there are to many fools out there flying, or two, the government is looking to a way to make some money. Could be both.
First of all, this is not a "ton" of money by any measure; and in fact it's a cost to the taxpayers that didn't have to be had we been a society of users who were willing to regulate ourselves.
And I agree .... the effort by the FAA is a good one.
Those who are saying "I will not comply" are admitting that they are the problem children ....

I agree, the law is no different than any fixed wing, automobile, boats , etc. registration laws. I have no problem with the law, however I hate to be told what to do, but this new law is a good one. I would not want yo harm anyone due to reckless flying. So I'm not worried because I fly responsibly.
And like you said what is five dollars.
Robert
I hear Americans say all the time "I hate being told what to do". In truth, you're told to drive a specific direction on a one-way street, told to not smoke or use a mobile phone inside a courtroom, told to work between certain hours (if you're employed), and told to register and license your automobile. And you probably comply with those - no questions asked.
So I've concluded that Americans actually just love bitching and moaning .....

There are already 36 pages of comment on this topic in the thread msinger mentioned.
No need for multiple threads on the same topic - this isn't the DJI forum.

Reactions: bobomet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj