Unexpected Failsafe landing - Battery issue?

Reaction score
Hello all.

Can you offer some things I can check after a flight yesterday when the bird went into a normal low battery RTH but then went into failsafe landing?

I was high up but not far away so flying into the wind should not have been an issue. Luckily I was able to land it on a road nearby to my home point. No damage thankfully. I am concerned that this happened and want to know why it happened?

Will a flight log show battery data?

Thank you for your help!
-Jesse

Ok, I will do that this evening. To clarify, I will plug my Samsung tablet into my computer to locate the flight log? I have never pulled a flight log before.

Thank you.

To clarify, I will plug my Samsung tablet into my computer to locate the flight log?
Yes. Look for it in "DJI/dji.pilot/FlightRecord".

Reactions: Jesse_M
Thanks Msinger! Your help on this forum is always appreciated!

OK, here is the flight log.

Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Lots of red and yellow battery info. In the middle of RTH it went to failsafe @ 38% which seems odd. Can you guys help me determine the issue? Is this battery toast? I flew with it again yesterday but didn't push it far as to be careful of a repeat. I did get a warning that propulsion output was limited to ensure battery health.

Your Phantom started auto landing when the battery reached the critically low level. While the automated features are pretty good, they aren't fool-proof. Next time, start returning home before the battery reaches such a low level. It's a good idea to try to be on the ground when or before the first battery cell reaches 3.4V. Your Phantom was quite a distance away from the home point at 3.5V.

So 38% is normal for 'critically low'? Or was it strictly voltage that brought it down?

I ask because I have had lots of flights were I fly until RTH kicks in and she comes back home with no problems.

Ok, I appreciate the help. One more question, looking at the log I see lots of red and yellow voltage numbers. Is that part of the problem? Are you seeing that this battery is acting 'off'?

Your battery shows a lot of deviations and was at 50% after only 8 minutes. It looks like it might have been pretty windy though, so that could explain the rapidly depleted battery. Try another flight at a lower altitude (e.g. 200 feet) in calm conditions and see if the battery is rapidly depleted again. If so, it's probably time to get rid of it.

Reactions: Jesse_M
Will do! I appreciate the help.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20