Unexpected Christmas gift!

Reaction score
Completely unexpected, and best gift in years, I've received a P2V+ V3 for christmas! I've flown fixed wing gas RC for years and been very interested in multi rotor for a while now so I'm very excited. I've read through all the manuals, read the guide posted here and flown a couple times here in Terrace BC. Due to rainy weather, flight time has been pretty limited so far but I'm heading home to Alberta on Sunday and other than cold, we should have much better weather. This seems to be one of the better forums out there so I figured I'd join. Any hints, tips, must read posts?

One question regarding winter flying. What's the lowest temp recommended for flying? Seems the range is supposed to be 0°to 40°C which makes about 6 months of the year un fly able for Alberta. I flew a friends V+ a couple times last month around -5°C and the only thing we noticed was reduced flight time due to battery performance in the cold and very cold fingers.

By all accounts you shouldn't have any problems at least down to around -10.
Realistically if you have it in a warm vehicle or house and set of reasonably quickly it won't be that cold - the battery which is the main concern will generate its own heat anyway.

I think my one best tip would be learn to hand catch safely.
How many threads on here recently describe damage due to bumpy landings.
Use throttle held down to stop it not a CSC action.

I would advise against hand catching. Your health is more important then your stuff. But that's up to you, lol.

Don't fly in the rain and try not to be too eager to fly in very cold conditions. No need to take risks, right? :D

Here in London the weather is too poor to fly for about 6 months of the year also it seems. But hey I'd rather not fly and have a working craft then fly, crash and kick myself!

So far absolutely loving it! Been reading way too much about it and learning so much. I've been doing a bit of hand catching, mostly due to availablity of good landing spots. The throttle down catch helps a lot with that. I was reading up on the GPS shielding thread but it seems the v3 might not benefit as much as the earlier generations from that. May test in the future. Most of the places I'll be flying when I get home have great GPS coverage due to living on the prairies.

flyNfrank said:
Shuether, checkout the radio glove. I have one being shipped to me now.

http://www.limacproducts.com/RG.html

Sweet! That should help immensely. Could even throw a couple hand warmer packs in to help. Looks like I'd have to figure something out for phone mount though

welcome to the hood! I use a piece of square plywood for a landing pad, instead of hand catching, makes for a smooth landing, and safer too! it doesn't have to be thick or real big. Make sure you read the manual over and over, and always ask questions. Have fun shuether.

TomWolves said:
welcome to the hood! I use a piece of square plywood for a landing pad, instead of hand catching, makes for a smooth landing, and safer too! it doesn't have to be thick or real big. Make sure you read the manual over and over, and always ask questions. Have fun shuether.

Same here, I only hand catch if I am forced to due to terrain. I think everyone should learn to land properly. I have a round plexiglass landing pad that I purchased (sort of like this one: http://www.uavstickers.com/helipad.php). It has three concentric rings, and my buddy and I play Phantom darts to see who can outscore the other with our landing skills. I enjoy working on my landing skills and pride myself on making a spot on landing.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic