Uncontrolled Fly-Away--GoPro with Wifi?

Reaction score
I haven't been able to find matching topics, nor have seen any videos that specifically mentioned interference from a wifi-enabled GoPro, but the following warning is in the description of BH Photo's DJI Phantom 2 Quadcopter with Zenmuse H3-3D 3-Axis Gimbal at:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... _with.html

Warning: Never use the DJI Phantom 2 Quadcopter with your GoPro camera when both devices have their Wi-Fi systems turned on. The DJI Phantom's Wi-Fi and the GoPro camera's Wi-Fi run on the same frequency, so if you use them together when both Wi-Fi systems are engaged, the DJI Phantom's transmitter will lose the ability to communicate with the DJI Phantom Quadcopter. Whenever this happens, you will not be able to tell the Phantom where to fly. This may result in loss of property or damage to your equipment.

When I read about other people's Fly-Away problems, they seem to be at loss as to why if occurred. Could a wifi-enabled GoPro be the cause?

It's a concern because sometimes the wifi (blue lights) on my GoPro 3 and 3+Black Edition cameras intermittently turn on when I turn on the camera--even though my fingers did not come close to the button to turn on wifi. Anyone have this problem?

Yes, GoPro with WiFi on plus Phantom is Murphey's law waiting to happen. Do a google search and you'll see plenty of flyaways attributed to this.

I've only been flying my Phantom (2) for about a month and I very clearly remember at every stage of the process from research, purchase, reading documentation, and plastered ALL OVER this forum were warnings about not flying a Phantom 2 with gopro with it's wifi enabled.

I use the gopro's wifi and the iPad app to quickly change camera settings all the time, but you should always always always triple check that the wifi is off before you spin up the propellers

dragonash said:
I believe the FC40 and the Visions are the exceptions to those rules since they work on the 5.8ghz frequency, correct?

I don't own a FC40 or Vision series but according to everything I've read on this site you are correct. those models already have 5.8ghz RC's.

Flying Cephlopod said:
When I read about other people's Fly-Away problems, they seem to be at loss as to why if occurred. Could a wifi-enabled GoPro be the cause?

It's a concern because sometimes the wifi (blue lights) on my GoPro 3 and 3+Black Edition cameras intermittently turn on when I turn on the camera--even though my fingers did not come close to the button to turn on wifi. Anyone have this problem?

No one knows for certain what caused their fly away unless they can record a datalog of events from the FC. But, GoPro WiFi being left on is up there on the list of top causes.

I've never seen a GoPro turn it's WiFi on by itself. I have 2 GoPro 3+ blacks. Upgrade the firmware.

P2V and FC40 are 5.8GHz systems and totally different.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20