Unbalanced Motors? After Crash (Help!)

Reaction score
Hello everybody. I was flying yesterday, and I wrecked, slamming down onto bricks from 5-6 ft up after hitting a low hanging branch. Miraculously, on first notice, the only damage seemed to be two broken props and a very small separation in the casing on one of the arms. However, on my next flight, the motors seem to be out of balance. When hovering or moving, the phantom will periodically make a low whirring sound instead of its usual high-pitched one. I think this is from shaking because of the lack of balance. Also, it constantly tries to slowly turn right.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to verify this is the problem, and how to fix it (digitally or mechanically)?
Thanks

Hello everybody. I was flying yesterday, and I wrecked, slamming down onto bricks from 5-6 ft up after hitting a low hanging branch. Miraculously, on first notice, the only damage seemed to be two broken props and a very small separation in the casing on one of the arms. However, on my next flight, the motors seem to be out of balance. When hovering or moving, the phantom will periodically make a low whirring sound instead of its usual high-pitched one. I think this is from shaking because of the lack of balance. Also, it constantly tries to slowly turn right.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to verify this is the problem, and how to fix it (digitally or mechanically)?
Thanks
Several things you need to do

Check each motor attachment hole by remove the 4 bolts that hold the motor and carefully lift the motor and inspect each mounting location and then bolt the motor back on if there are no cracked or chipped mounting holes. Do this one motor at a time and be careful not to put the wires to the motor in a strain when you unbolt each one. Lay the Phantom upside down on a soft piece of foam to unbolt the motors.

Then if that checks out,
Do an IMU Calibration
and make sure your new props are balanced.

Check the motor mounts first and then let us know what you find out.

Thanks for responding. the motor mounts are fine, but I am currently removing the top casing to inspect the arm where the casing separated as there might be some damage there [emoji16], so I'll let you know, and I will do an IMU calibration. thanks for that suggestion.

Turns out the casing near two of the arms was lose, causing the motors to be loose, because the channel through which the screw go to clap the case together broke.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1437012520.683854.jpg

That's on two arms, so I'm going to glue them back, but I can't find one of the channels, so I'll probably glue down a small washer and then use that.

No, mine were looser, causing the phantom to shutter. I simply glued those three channels (one of which you see in the picture) back. I ended up finding the third one as well. I also had to glue some other cracks together. Interestingly, every crack was around a screw "channel" or around a nut embedded in the casing. I'm going to test it today. For you, just take off the top casing (Remember to undo the latches around where the two casings join as well. You might need a dull blade like a dinner knife.). This will allow you to look in since your stiff arm. Hopefully you'll see the problem! Let me know how it goes!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl