Unable to send Drone by any Carrier

Reaction score
Hi all, UK flyer , have just sold a Phantom 4 but trying to find a carrier offering insured post is a no no, as soon as I ask for insurance carriers ask for parcel contents I confirm it’s a DJI drone and carriage is then refused because of the battery, how can I overcome this, cheers Len . Inspire 1, Mavic 2 Pro, Phantom 4 Pro

Parcel Force, Hermes and UPS have all brought me drones, I assume the senders declared the content correctly. I think the condition is that the device that the battery powers must be included or that the battery is fitted to it. Whether or not the parcels were insured I have NO idea.

Thanks for reply, tried all those , you can send without insurance, which I did but drone was damaged in post had it repaired with drone doctor over £200 so this time wanted full insurance but even after speaking with carrier customer service staff telling them that it was installed in drone, a drone battery in or out of a drone they will not transport, so I had to cancel sale. I know it’s seems stupid but they all refused, think it must be the insurance all uninsured parcels do not have the contents to be declared, cheers Len

How did you get the drone in the first place?
I suppose you could sell it " collection only" but depending where you are that may limit your potential buyers and therefore the likely price.
I have my eye on one for just that reason.

In the UK, if they are discovered, you run the risk of separate batteries, sent without the drone, being destroyed and the remaining contents of the package, if any, then returned to the sender.
I know this from experience, 2 P3 batteries, the sender got a nice letter from the carrier, I got a refund from the seller.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not sell without batterys - offer a reduced price accordingly ...

Sell the batterys locally to another user ...

You'll probably get more money that way anyway ...

Many thanks for all the input , however still cannot understand how sending a parcel uninsured containing a drone with battery is safer than sending an insured parcel containing a drone with battery. Have purchased the Phantom 2 and3 and 4, an inspire 1 with extra batteries, a Mavic Pro 1 and 2 both with extra batteries, all were new all were delivered by Carrier with no problems. Can only assume that Company’s that sell drones have them delivered uninsured. Contacted Ebay and was told that this is a very common problem and they were not aware of any carrier that would transport the drone and batteries, cheers Len

"how sending a parcel uninsured containing a drone with battery is safer than sending an insured parcel containing a drone with battery."
Since when do rules have to make sense? :D
Might it come down to a question of liability rather than safety.
To my mind your question is equally applicable to sending a battery with or without the device it is supposed to power, I suppose it could be argued that the device gives some physical protection if the battery is installed but ......

Last edited by a moderator:
In the US, we have to ship “Ground” if battery included. All mine were shipped that way. By multiple carriers. FedEx is easiest. Had to put fire hazard stickers on UPS Ground. Expensive.

Last edited:
The problem is the LiPo itself ...

Try buying a LiPo from Hobby King or other online International seller and you find shipping is the limitation.

As P.Foggg suggests - its liability not whether its safer or not. As would be obvious insured or not - the shiping itself is same and therefore with same safety risk factor.
Imagine the insurance claim if your LiPo decides to 'let go' and significant damage is done to other items and the actual carrying vehicle ...... its not just your loss of the single item ...

Many eBay and other market sites ship uninsured and do not declare any LiPo .... even when they are included. There are various well known sellers who will mark item as 'Gift' ... 'Toy Goods' ..... 'Game Parts' ...... etc. to avoid restrictions on shipping.

Hi Len, I've mailed, UPS anf FedX Products with Lithium Batteries using this sticker, so far so good.
Lithium Battery Mailing Sticker.jpg

I believe there's been a 'tightening' up on carriage of Lithium batteries which is going to make it harder to ship.
Someones not thought this through (as usual these days for 'management' actions).
I wonder how late model laptops can be shipped, those without removable batteries' then overall what about electric vehicles' packed with hundreds of lipo cells, they're deemed safe to clutter up our roads etc.
This will be rather farcical/hypocritical when there are electric commercial vehicles allowed, fitted with hundreds of lipo cells, but not allowed to carry lipo cells!
So no more shipping of mobile phones, sat nav's, cameras, 'smart' watches etc...
Maybe we can see a market place /upsurge for liquid fuel powered drones :-}

Just sent mine to Drone Doctor via DPD, £8.85 fully insured - Ah, no battery but recently bought a battery from Ebay, no ;problem receiving it b post????

We have same problems in Sweden.
I have bay a drone from Geek polen store they probably send by Truck or have paid for possibility to send by Ait transport plane.
I get hardware failure to store at memory card and get permission to send it back.
Swedish custom open Al package ho propobly contain Li-po battery from Private Person.
Postal service selling fraight on Website and didn't get information of limited stof to send Package could be avay several weeks and be send back to sender.
I get a agreement to reduce price within 50 USD.
You must bay Road transport to be able to send battery for PB battery is it forbidden because of contain Asid ho could use to harm people in atacks .
But if you pay for permission from Authority and have A Company is it possible.
Transport company say that Li Po battery come bay Boats from China and transport by Truck to store and consumer.
Al this problems is because International Terrorism and get limitations and restrictions for Al Normal and working people in Countries ho Authority respond at IATA agreement of transportation in Aircraft ho take people and fraight in same flight.
Some people send package without mark whith contain and in no suspicious cartoon for custom or shipping company .
Consumer Li-po battery normally send with not full charge cell and package away from something ho can make contact to avoid Explosion and only weary limited of battery have damage ho can get problems and Explore.
But charge daytime and not in place ho can Fire and not in place you Use to go aways from Faire and Use good charger for Li-po battery

Same problem in Cyprus also.They are not shipping here lithium batteries.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4