Ultimate FPV, Samsung and Oculus combine.

Reaction score
Lads I have just fallen in love with some new technology. I was gonna be buying the new Samsung note 4 anyway but then they go and team up with Oculus and create a mobile virtual realitly system based around the note 4. Could this be the future of fpv flying?
Samsung Unpacked - Gear VR and Oculus with John C…: http://youtu.be/VO6T4M4VMuk

God **** ---- 96 degree viewing angle and 175-inch simulated screen? I got drool running down my chin, and even a little chubby in me trousers ;)

Something like this is such a huge leap forward for FPV flying --- I might have to pump the brakes on buying a Lightbridge system and hope that DJI quickly develops Lightbridge 4K soon?

The Samsung Note 4 display is already higher than 1080p so we need a reliable 4K video transmission system FAST !! :mrgreen:

It's the sort of stuff ive been dreaming of. Apple lose Steve Jobs and they make a larger screen while Samsung team up with Oculus and make a 175" VR screen. Not only is this an Apple killer but its a google glass killer :)
It comes with a preloaded VR tour of Tony Stark's Lab :mrgreen:

Like I mentioned in another post --- Apple is choking and sputtering on the dust of truly innovative, aggressive companies like Samsung and Google. Watch any presentation by Tim Cook and it's like watching paint dry. It's a hollow, empty shell compared to when Steve Jobs ran that joint. :lol:

I'm now firing off an email salvo to DJI engineering dept. to get off their lazy asses and start developing Lightbridge 4K. We NEED this by summer 2015. :mrgreen:

And what's more they reckon the Galaxy gear VR will come in at a cool $200!!!!
Of course the Note 4 will set you back also but seeing as I was gonna get that anyway the goggles will be mine too as soon as they are released.

Reactions of a dude checking out the Iron Man lab
Samsung Gear VR First Look: http://youtu.be/wd4Xqq12b00
With the gyro option in the dji vision app already in place that can turn the vision and + by turning the phone there is no reason dji couldnt incorporate the VR headset to just control the movement of the camera on a 3 axis gimbal thus doing away with the need of a pilot and camera operator that are used in pro rigs. Even if used with waypoints you could set a mission and just look at POI's as you fly around them with perfect smoothness. The possibilities are making me drool more than Homer Simpson right now.

Boy... Carmack sure knows how to sell to an audience, huh? Not. :p

This looks awesome! But I'm afraid it's so good that I would spend all my time gaming instead of flying my Phantom ;)

Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
With the gyro option in the dji vision app already in place that can turn the vision and + by turning the phone there is no reason dji couldnt incorporate the VR headset to just control the movement of the camera on a 3 axis gimbal thus doing away with the need of a pilot and camera operator that are used in pro rigs. Even if used with waypoints you could set a mission and just look at POI's as you fly around them with perfect smoothness. The possibilities are making me drool more than Homer Simpson right now.

That's what I was thinking as well. The 2-man system for pro camera rigs will still find it's uses, but being able to gyro a 3-axis gimbal with your VR goggles while your hands stay focused on flying the Phantom is a killer way to get the best of both worlds as a 1-man operation.

This is me when I think about the mere possibility of Samsung Note 4 FPV goggles + Lightbridge 4K video transmission system:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSwS-Ax_pL8[/youtube]

Feck sake I'm already organising my divorce, there wont be any time for the wife and kids with all the gaming and FPV flying. Bonus is that at least I'll be able to film the divorce in HD haha

Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
Feck sake I'm already organising my divorce, there wont be any time for the wife and kids with all the gaming and FPV flying. Bonus is that at least I'll be able to film the divorce in HD haha

Why put up with real wife & kids when a VR family in 4K will be much better? :mrgreen:

MadMitch88 said:
Why put up with real wife & kids when a VR family in 4K will be much better? :mrgreen:

Well... there is that one thing that, no matter how high the res, VR will never be able to come close. ;)

I was also thinking another cool feature of these Samsung goggles would be to utilize the Note 4's rear camera for a real-time view of immediate surroundings for when you bring your Phantom in for a landing or close flying? That way, you wouldn't have to take the headset off for these situations, and not have to worry about see-thru lenses like the Epson Moverio BT-200 is using.

Also, a Bluetooth touchpad for these goggles is a must-have so the pilot can access features in the DJI app. It would need to be quite small and attached to the side of the goggles or maybe you can stick it to the Phantom's controller.

ProfessorStein said:
MadMitch88 said:

Well... there is that one thing that, no matter how high the res, VR will never be able to come close. ;)

Oh, you're surely referring to the honey-do list, no doubt! (Honey do this, honey do that ... )

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik