Ultimate Flight (Android)-waypoint + save/load RELEASED!

Reaction score
Over time this will be a full replacement for the current Vision app but in the current form it is camera focused. I am tracking current issues, bugs and downloads on the website which also includes bug reporting, questions and suggestions. Once I get the 1st release completed and finished I'll be working on the autonomous flight in which the 1st items on the list are to investigate "follow-me" and "point of interest"; the former I think everyone know what it is, the later will all the pilot to plot a flight path and camera point and the Phantom will maintain camera bearing to the location file flying the waypoints associated with the POI.

The complete list of upcoming features is on the website as is a download link.

https://www.facebook.com/DJIUltimateFlight

http://www.kenargo.com/AndroidApps/UltimateFlight/

Beta downloads are available through sign-up; information at the above websites.

The final release of the DJI Ultimate Flight app will pick up where the DJI VISION App left off. Over time features will be added, initially for camera and following with complete autonomous flight that will extend the features currently included in the Vision App and Ground Station.

This app is intended to work with the DJI Phantom Vision and DJI Phantom Vision+. Support for the Inspire 1 will follow once DJI releases the public SDK.

This app allows remote camera control through a mobile or tablet device.

The currently released version includes the following features:

(Updated: 6, March, 2015)

• Basic video and camera controls on par with the DJI Vision App currently available in the Google Play store as supported by the existing DJI SDK (currently version 1.06). All currently exposed configuration parameters for the DJI camera will be available to the user. Setting changes can be saved as new default, which will persist to future flights or saved for the current flight only.
•Photo and Video control via onscreen controls
•Enhanced camera control. A number of control settings will be made available to the user:◦ Auto video start/stop – video recording can be configured to start/stop with the Phantom motors.

•Live video feed from the Phantom projected onto the Moverio display
•Availability of 3 display modes: (1) Split screen, ¾ video stream / ¼ map. (2) Full video stream. (3) Full map display
•Map display will represent the location of the Phantom and the Phantom’s currently set home point location and will be available in satellite, terrain or hybrid views as defined by Google Map.
•Map display will auto-orient during flight to maintain onscreen display encompassing the location of the Phantom and location of the Phantom’s home point.
•Flight safety – the app will include the following flight safety features:
◦Pre-flight health check that will display to the user the estimated health of the Phantom. This will include verification and reporting of:◾Satellite count (6 or greater)
◾Available battery power in Phantom and Wi-Fi range extender
◾Home point is properly reporting
◾MCU health as reported by DJI SDK (e.g., compass calibration error, MCU error, etc.)
◾Camera health (e.g., SD card is inserted and available)

◦Flight battery limit will use the smart battery information sent back from the Phantom via the SDK to calculate and display a “circle” on the map display that can be used as an indicator for the turn-around point for flight.
•Pre-caching of maps as supported using the Google Map SDK will be available, allowing the user to load maps at a location where Wi-Fi connection is available and using those cached maps at flying locations which may not have Wi-Fi connectivity. A full-screen activity will be available increasing the ease and efficiency of caching flight locations. Cached maps will be usable for both free-flight as well as waypoint flight missions.
•Phantom latitude and longitude can be optionally displayed through user configuration
•Active voice feedback system will include configurable settings that can be controlled by the user and includes the following. The information is repeated at regular intervals configurable by the user or turned off if the user so chooses to do so.◦Current Phantom flight information including, but not limited to: altitude, distance from home point, speed, flight mode and flight mode changes (GPS, ATTI, waypoint, pause, landing, etc. as available in the DJI SDK)
◦Current Phantom craft information including, but not limited to: satellite count, battery level, Wi-Fi battery level and signal strength
◦Camera information including, but not limited to: video status (recording on/off)
◦Warning information. The user can configure limits for a number of settings as triggers that, when breached will report to the user the appropriate information. Warning will include: MCU error information, Phantom entering a no-fly area, low satellite count, low battery (in Phantom of Wi-Fi range extender) and low Wi-Fi signal.

•Phantoms that have had camera and gimbal replacements using the DJI Zenmuse H3-3D, 3-Axis Gimbal with GoPro camera will be supported in a screen-efficient manner. Since this configuration does not allow for certain camera operations to be performed the screen controls for camera will be removed resulting a more efficient display without the additional controls unneeded for this configuration.
•Variable speed gimbal control. For Phantom Vision and Vision+ equipped with stock camera and gimbal, controllable using the DJI SDK the user will have the ability to control gimbal angle.
•Onscreen information displays:◦Phantom flight information: altitude, distance and speed
◦Phantom status information: flight timer, satellite count, Wi-Fi strength and batter levels of the Phantom and Wi-Fi extender will be available on screen
◦On screen camera orientation display
◦Phantom bearing and bearing indicator towards home with easy-point allowing the pilot to rotate the Phantom until Phantom bearing aligns to home point indicator and fly towards home.

•Ground Station flight mission
◦Waypoint missions can be designed at a comfortable location for the pilot and saved on the device. Once on location the mission can be loaded and flown. Waypoint missions are saved using a comma-delimited format and can be edited using the app or the users favorite text editor
◦Waypoint names are chosen by the user and can be named with descriptive and identifying information (e.g., location name).
◦Waypoint can be deleted in single or whole
◦Waypoint load screen will display name in addition to a number of flight details (e.g., number of waypoints in the mission and total distance)
◦Waypoint editor will extend the ability to individually control speed, altitude and stay-time for each waypoint individually.
◦Waypoint editor will include an easy-copy mode, enabling the user to setup one waypoint, edit the settings based on the flying location and to use those settings as a temporary default for new waypoints in the same mission. In effect this creates a temporary override of configured waypoint defaults
◦Mission limits are enabled by default that match DJI Vision Ground Station but will be configurable by the user. Limits will have the ability to be increased, decreased or disabled.
◦Waypoint flight protection will inform the user of issues identified in a waypoint mission. For example, if the Phantom is reporting a ground-level altitude of 9m and the mission includes waypoints which would result in the Phantom being lower than 10m the pilot will be warned of the low altitude and allowed to have the app automatically increase waypoint altitude’s the distance equal to the ground level offset.
◦Waypoint missions can be started from the ground, with motors on or off or after take-off while in the air based on the user’s preference.
◦Waypoint missions can be easily paused and continued using the hardware buttons as allowed using the Moverio SDK
◦Return to home will be available using the hardware buttons as allowed using the Moverio SDK
◦Waypoint mission summary will be displayed to the user prior to waypoint flight. The user will be able to review the following and choose to cancel or fly the mission as displayed.◾Total distance
◾Speed, Altitude and hold-time per waypoint
◾Distance between waypoints

•Miscellaneous features:◦Compass calibration
◦Flight logging will be stored in comma-delimited files and stored on the device. There will be 2 typed of flight logs: (1) Flight summary, this one-line log will include summary information per the flight (e.g. min/max satellite, starting and ending location, battery min/max, etc.) (2) Flight tracking log will include detailed flight information as the Phantom flies as reported by the DJI SDK. This details log can be used to review the flight offline at a larger time.
◦All presented measurement to the user will be in the user’s specified units of display: metric and imperial will both be available.

Re: New app for Phantom Vision and Vision+

Yes, at this time I have no plans to create an iOS version.

Downloaded this today and hope to test it tomorrow...will let you know what I find and think...Tha KS for letting us beta test it.

lsteigerwalt said:
Downloaded this today and hope to test it tomorrow...will let you know what I find and think...Tha KS for letting us beta test it.

Thanks, please check the downloads page for a list of known issues.

hi ken
been experimenting with your app, i think once you fine tune it it will be great, just wanted to leave you some feedback if it helps you.

Ive been getting a crash as soon as i touch the take a picture button, it freezes my tablet completly sometimes, others it just freezes the app but i can still kill it via task bar, also i think you should set some bounderies as to when to zoom the map out or in, so that the phantom icon and the home position icon dont get on the edges of the screen making that you can only seen the map in between them.
other than that i think its a really great concept, and if you can make you ultimate plan go all the way... you set the price, ill hapily buy you app...

hope it helps in some way,

cheers

I cannot get it to install .I got as far as running the app when it said a version of this is already installed . IT THEN SAID INSTALL FAILED. sINCE THEN I CANNOT GET IT TO RUN AND ISTALL AT ALL. Sorry for caps

You will need to check the box to allow installation of apps from untrusted apps or it will not install. What version of Android are you running; this app is created for 4.2 and above?

If the app installed it would be in your apps list; you can try to uninstall it and try again if everything else fails.

Let me know.

I like the voice reminder. Downloading..

I have an old Nexus 7, hope there won't be any video lag. Also worry about the wrong dynamic home point which is dangerous.

I will check and look for the intrusted app thanks

I tested your app today. I love the voice feedback feature for sat lock, battery life etc... Screen view image could be better, couldn't find setting like DJI app has... App did not crash on me. I would purchase app when it's ALL polished and done. I believe this very same app is being worked on by the makers of the FPV Booster App. And there are a few beta tester on this forum working on it....

Anyway, I manage to record today's test flight via ScreenRecorder App on my GS4, of course what I believe is the best part of the app you can't hear...
Take a look: cheers!
http://youtu.be/5EMG0eoonPM

lsteigerwalt said:
Just to much wind to attempt a flight today. Will try again tomorrow.

Bigdz said:
I tested your app today. I love the voice feedback feature for sat lock, battery life etc... Screen view image could be better, couldn't find setting like DJI app has... App did not crash on me. I would purchase app when it's ALL polished and done. I believe this very same app is being worked on by the makers of the FPV Booster App. And there are a few beta tester on this forum working on it....

Anyway, I manage to record today's test flight via ScreenRecorder App on my GS4, of course what I believe is the best part of the app you can't hear...
Take a look: cheers!
http://youtu.be/5EMG0eoonPM

Something similar is being done by the Booster person but they focus on iOS and I don't know about L2 (GPS flight) with them. I have an L2 access and plan to start work on point of interest and follow-me once I get the camera version released.

Camera settings as in a slide menu (slide in from left side) and many people are not finding it so I've added a wink for the menu in the next release. The crash happens when leaving the live screen, moving back to the main screen; DJI is investigating fix.

Feedback, bugs and suggestion are welcome here or there is a form on the website as well.

Updated download is now available with the following changes:

Fixed WIFI strength setting was not following configuration setting for on/off.

Change: wifi strength is Off by default.

Change: Reordered application settings menu: Created new "Camera Configuration" section, moved "live stream resolution" and "video starts and stops with flight" into the new section.

New: Added "When Connection Breaks" configuration which was removed from camera settings screen.

New "Enable Return Home When Battery Low". The Phantom has an internal default of ON for this feature (Vision app is off by default). The prior release did not expose not set the value and as such pilots who flew until batteries where low where seeing thei Phantoms landing on low battery. Default is "off" to match behavior in Vision App.

Change: Frequency of updating dynamic home location from every 1/2 second to every 2 seconds.

Change: Moved the DJI SDK call that resulted in the app crashing then existing live screen into the code for the main screen. This does not remove the crash (DJI needs to fix that in the SDK) but with the changes the app crashes when you leave the main screen which would likely be when you are closing the app so I feel the new behavior is much less annoying.

Change: Removed "When Connection Breaks" configuration from camera settings screen, it is now located on the app settings screen.

New: Added camera menu wink; users where unable to find the camera settings menu. Wink behavior causes the menu to peak out from the side giving the user notice that it is available. Once you use the menu it will stop winking unless app settings are reset to default.

Change: Flight information reads every 60 seconds, was every 30 seconds.

Fix: possibility to crash if dynamic home point was enabled when phantom was powered off.

Fix: it was possible to have both dynamic and map home point settings enabled at the same time.

Change: disabled auto zoom in; the current calculation does not work well on all screen sizes. auto-zoom out is still enabled and appears to be working as designed.

Fixed: Dynamic home point now sets to the correct location

Fixed: Map no longer jumps when location points are moving around due to accuracy updates for pilot or Phantom current location or home location.

Change: When using dynamic home point the map no longer orientates the pilot icon towards home as it would result in map spinning as home point moves

Looks very interesting - I'll try it out shortly.
In the meantime have you or can you address the wrong altitude issues lots of use face ?
My suggested "Zero" button before takeoff or similar perhaps ?
You'd win a legion of fans with accurate altitude ! :mrgreen:
Maybe a sexier voice too ? Bit ....abrasive this one....and as much as I hate to say it, it sounds like an Aussie sheila from beyond the Black Stump.
(You'll need to an Aussie to understand that one :lol: )

As a developer myself, first let me congratulate you kenargo on the app!
I would however advise you to be careful about the following feature. Although you certainly can implement zeroing the altitude before take off on the app display, you can't change the altitude in the phantom, and phantom uses that altitude when calculating at what height it should perform an RTH or at what height should it start flying to first waypoint and so on. So zeroing it out only in the app could introduce much confusion later.
morph000 said:
In the meantime have you or can you address the wrong altitude issues lots of use face ?
Maybe a sexier voice too ? Bit ....abrasive this one....and as much as I hate to say it, it sounds like an Aussie sheila from beyond the Black Stump.
There is already a way you can zero out the altitude. After your phantom has been sitting on the ground waiting for the satellites it actually heats up, that is what is causing the altitude to rise. When your preflight checks have been completed(enough satellites found and similar) and you are ready to fly, before you do, turn the phantom off and turn it back again on(power cycle). You will have zero altitude. That is so because phantom is zeroing the altitude at power up, so you just need to do it once again when it has a working temperature. I even believe I read somewhere DJI will fix this in the next firmware release. So that it gets zeroed out on take off.

morph000 said:

I'll consider the altitude offset but keep in mind it really wouldn't make it accurate; it would only be an offset for display and wouldn't affect the actual (internal) value of the Phantom but it would be easy enough to offset the reported value and show you an offset-adjusted value. Let me think about how to add this so not to cause confusion.

Just downloaded it now, its nice to see an alternative to the DJI app,

Ive downloaded the file and installed it on a Samsung S3, I did all the usual and launched the app and got this

livestream.jpg

So i closed the app and tried again, and again, after a few minutes i managed to get an image ok.

Screenshot.jpg

I notice that the image for the range extender (i assume thats what it is) has a question mark next to it, what should it show.?

Also it pops up this screen.

voice.jpg

All well and good, however it only pops this screen up when you are connected to the Phantom WIFI and not when you are connected to your home network, should you try and leave the screen to change your WIFI settings then this message disappears, i did manage once to get onto my home WIFI and had to update my google app settings, however i couldnt get it to let me download the voice file.

After a few tries i got this

crash.jpg

I like this map caching service with the ability to do it outside of the app and the response is really quick at moving round the map, and the voice (funny i couldnt download it before but i do get a voice) is good but needs an on/off switch. I like the homepoint image on the right but again maybe a swipe to close if you dont need it.

Will try a flight as soon as i can.

Thanks

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic