UK Regulations/Licences - Concerns.

Reaction score
Greetings

I'm about to be the proud owner of a Phantom 2 Vision (tracking the courier as I type!)

However, since placing my order, (and despite my previous research), I am now finding very conflicting views and opinions with regards to flying a model aircraft especially one that has a camera mounted. I have also found today that my local council banned the flying of any RC model aircraft a little while back (due to a fatal accident)

Is becoming a member of The British Model Flying Association a prerequisite to model aircraft flying?

Since there is much video footage on You Tube that appears to be with the P2V "off-road" (i.e. beyond the boundaries of anything that appears to be a designated flying club, and not always private land) - what licences/agreements are required?

I would also expect that London Royal Parks are waaaay off limits.

Where are you guys flying your P2V (without risk of confiscation or worse)

Any guidance would be very much appreciated.

Many Thanks in Advance.

dp

deepheat said:
Greetings

I'm about to be the proud owner of a Phantom 2 Vision (tracking the courier as I type!)

Exciting! Welcome to the club!

However, since placing my order, (and despite my previous research), I am now finding very conflicting views and opinions with regards to flying a model aircraft especially one that has a camera mounted. I have also found today that my local council banned the flying of any RC model aircraft a little while back (due to a fatal accident)
Sorry to hear that, I can understand why they would instigate a ban in their open spaces after that. :(

Is becoming a member of The British Model Flying Association a prerequisite to model aircraft flying?
No. There are benefits to joining a club or organisation, however. Apart from the social side you're supporting financially an organisation that can give us a voice in negotiations/consultations with the CAA. Often you'll get third party insurance as part of your membership. Personally I am a member of http://www.fpvuk.org which is a virtual club (I'm not completely new to RC) and memberships gives you £5,000,000 of third party liability insurance for all of your flying in the UK/Europe from wherever you fly.

Since there is much video footage on You Tube that appears to be with the P2V "off-road" (i.e. beyond the boundaries of anything that appears to be a designated flying club, and not always private land) - what licences/agreements are required?
On private land, you need the landowners permission to "operate" - i.e. take-off or land - on their property. You do not need permission to fly over any land unless restricted by law (e.g. prisons, nuclear power stations, etc). Council parks and gardens, whilst public spaces, may be covered by by-laws as you have already mentioned. If there are no by-laws then technically you can fly there unless someone in authority tells you you can't. Common sense and safety would dictate you don't pick busy parks full of kids and dogs... Personally I fly a lot from public footpaths on farmland, bridleways, national trails, etc - you can see some of the sorts of places in some of my videos below.

I would also expect that London Royal Parks are waaaay off limits.
I would suspect you are right, although you can always ask!

Where are you guys flying your P2V (without risk of confiscation or worse)
See above...

Any guidance would be very much appreciated.
The Air Navigation Order in the UK (which is statute) governs use of the airspace and from their point of view you're basically ok if you don't fly in restricted airspace, don't fly in the ATZ (aerodrome traffic zone) around an airfield without permission from them/their air traffic control, don't fly in a way that's likely to interfere with general or civil aviation traffic - generally just don't be a prat and you'll be fine.. The guidance for models says you should try and keep under 400ft above ground level and about 1500m horizontally. You can't see your aircraft beyond about 1000ft in any direction in any case, never mind any range issues. I have taken mine up to 1000ft but I did so keeping the aircraft visual at all times and keeping a good lookout and listen for light aircraft/helicopters. I used to fly full-scale aircraft so I do know the airspace in my area and where air traffic is likely to be found and at what height, etc. However you should always be mindful that low flying helicopters and light aircraft can appear anywhere at any time at 500ft or more. Common sense and safety first will keep you out of trouble with the CAA.

Good info. I'm sure I read in the ANO that their guidelines/rules apply to any UAV over 7kg or something like that?

However I think the main point which has already been made is to just fly responsibly.

I would be a bit apprehensive to fly in any major tourist parks but just take a look on YouTube and ull find 1000's of similar flights. I mean I've seen Videos directly associated with DJI/Colin Guinn flying in major cities parks, built up areas etc etc. Legally is all still a grey area, the legislation has not kept up with the technology.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a strict rule for heavier models and for any weight being used for aerial work under a CAA permission - it's probably a sensible idea to see it as guidance or "best practice" for anything else. Obviously if you fly recklessly or endanger people, property or aircraft then you'll still be for the high jump in any subsequent investigation even with a Phantom! :D

Bit late replying here, but OP, are you by any chance in SE London/NW Kent?

If you're where I think you are, the byelaw specifically states "model aircraft" and previous documentation mentions wing spans etc. A Phantom is technically a "rotorcraft" rather than an aircraft from my understanding although I'm not sure whether than means we can get off on a technicality. There are nearby parks in a neighbouring borough which doesn't seem to have any similar byelaw so I use those.

Where I fly, I keep it at least 50m away from people and structures at all times and land it if people start turning up. Not being a prat and a danger to the public seems to work so far where I am. I have FPVUK membership too. :)

I'm eyeing up some other private sites as well but am having difficulty finding out who the landowners are so I can ask permission. Not great considering you could quickly burn through some cash doing land registry searches!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj