UK - Drone owners will be forced to register devices on tracking database

What constitutes a fatal near miss?

Same is happenng here in Italy with new rules.. Also you need a "license plate" on the bird clearly identifying owner... And max 70mt heigh, 200mt distance for hobby fly. Sigh...!

I don't mind registering as long as it keeps me flying. Installing a tracking device, this is another matter. How can these be retrofitted to an already purchased UAV like the P3? If a user does it, it would invalidate any warranty etc.

I think it will just come down to a database registration, maybe an Index for the craft etc, clearly written on it.

Thinking about this database, the thing is, if someone wants to cause harm to aviation then they will not register any new drone. It will be just like gun control, the innocent and law abiding individuals will register, criminals will get them on the black market anyway.

First to remember is this is the daily Mail in the UK ....it has a certain reputation for putting up articles and ....allegedly.....quoting sources in high places.....when in fact....it's all hype. Second is, even if the laws are proposed to register and or "chip" quads for identification, it will take two years to implement. While DJI and perhaps other " high end" quad makers may have the Technology to implement such ...alleged...legal requirements .... Do they think that the makers of $30 toy quads are going to rush into it? And sure as eggs is eggs....IF such legislation came about, I will put money on that within days, we will see a post on how to circumvent the new ID chip / ID requirements...within days and the idiots that caused negative publicity will be doing it again.

Last edited:
First to remember is this is the daily Mail in the UK ....it has a certain reputation for putting up articles and ....allegedly.....quoting courses in high places.....when in fact....it's all hype. Second is, even if the laws are proposed to register and or "chip" quads for identification, it will take two years to implement. While DJI and perhaps other " high end" quad makers may have the Technology to implement such ...alleged...legal requirements .... Do they think that the makers of $30 toy quads are going to rush into it? And sure as eggs is eggs....IF such legislation came about, I will put money on that within days, we will see a post on how to circumvent the new ID chip / ID requirements...within days and the idiots that caused negative publicity will be doing it again.

+1 Daily Mail have a huge reputation for hyping things up.

Reactions: J.James and toorboy
Thinking about this database, the thing is, if someone wants to cause harm to aviation then they will not register any new drone. It will be just like gun control, the innocent and law abiding individuals will register, criminals will get them on the black market anyway.

If such legislation came about - I guess it would be aimed at the makers to factory install and possibly include a "registration code no" being required in an app(!) before the motors will start.
Even the £30 toys are now getting apps to FPV etc,.
I would also consider that such legislation will trigger the Pied Piper syndrome - every other country would copy the idea and implement it. Simply because they will catch those who get around the laws or simply drift into a "no fly" area... then they become liable to a newly imposed fines - just like traffic offenses and in Aus we have Rangers - sort of wanna be cops, not sure what they are called now in the UK.. but they do have "civil police" who can issue fines for tossing a cigarette butt or dropping a chocolate bar wrapper etc,. Another source of income for cash strapped local authorities.

there's already a drone registration in the UK..

Drone Reg
It is not an "offical" registry... I removed his address - but its available with the whois info online

Result of WHOIS query:
Domain name:
dronereg.co.uk

Registrant:
kristoffer clarke

Registrant type:
UK Individual

Registrant's address:

Wigan

United Kingdom

Data validation:
Nominet was able to match the registrant's name and address against a 3rd party data source on 18-Mar-2014

It is not an "offical" registry... I removed his address - but its available with the whois info online

Result of WHOIS query:
Domain name:
dronereg.co.uk

Registrant:
kristoffer clarke

Registrant type:
UK Individual

Registrant's address:

Wigan

United Kingdom

Data validation:
Nominet was able to match the registrant's name and address against a 3rd party data source on 18-Mar-2014
Yeah, I thought it was not official. I guess someone trying to do the 'right thing' especially if the drone has been lost.

If such legislation came about - I guess it would be aimed at the makers to factory install and possibly include a "registration code no" being required in an app(!) before the motors will start.
Even the £30 toys are now getting apps to FPV etc,.
I would also consider that such legislation will trigger the Pied Piper syndrome - every other country would copy the idea and implement it. Simply because they will catch those who get around the laws or simply drift into a "no fly" area... then they become liable to a newly imposed fines - just like traffic offenses and in Aus we have Rangers - sort of wanna be cops, not sure what they are called now in the UK.. but they do have "civil police" who can issue fines for tossing a cigarette butt or dropping a chocolate bar wrapper etc,. Another source of income for cash strapped local authorities.
Yeah we have these in the UK, called PCSOs.

Wait a second here! Isn't The Daily Mail the paper with the Page Three Girls? Can't be all bad. ;)

Reactions: dirkclod
The CAA said today that they have no current plans to change the rules, but will consider enforcing them more strictly if problems persist.

Reactions: Trumple
7 near misses in the last 12monthes, then 4 last month. I think their getting the numbers mixed up with their sales figures

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31