UK drone law- within 50m rule

Reaction score
Hi all sorry to drag this up when there are a few similar threads But I am new to drones and trying to get to grips with the legal requirements but could someone clarify a point, the caa rules state you cannot fly: over or within 150 metres of a congested area, But only state you cannot fly: within 50m of a person or structure or vessel.

Now does the fact that the caa have omitted the "over" from the wording of 50m of a person structure or vessel mean that I can fly say 60m over a person, vehicle or structure and that's ok? Just not sure why they omitted the "over" or is it a case of I am not allowed within 50m irrespective of height?

within 50m of a person=================

the full sentence is======= unless landing or taking off when it's 30 mts, that's the rule I read

Thanks, a bit worrying really because that would apply to structures as well and what constitutes structures? I know bridges do but where is the line drawn? Looks like a totally empty remote field with no public footpaths is the only sure safe bet

Thanks, a bit worrying really because that would apply to structures as well and what constitutes structures? I know bridges do but where is the line drawn? Looks like a totally empty remote field with no public footpaths is the only sure safe bet
You have to use common sense I dont fly over populated aways but there are times im not exactly 50 m over or away from a person i try to keep an eye on the app but its impossible all the time I do a lot of coastal shooting and sometimes i want to get close to shore and there might be the odd person walking their dog that isnt 50 m away but so long as im a good distance and im not endangering them i carry on you have to you your judgement I know some dudley do rights will disagree with me but lets face it have many people stay constantly within the speed limit whilst driving their cars!!

It's a 50m radius irrespective of height.

sorry but========

The aircraft must not be flown:

• over or within 150 metres of any congested area
  • over or within 150 metres of an organised open-air assembly of more than 1,000 persons;
  • within 50 metres of any vessel, vehicle or structure which is not under the control of the person in charge of the aircraft
  • within 50 metres of any person except during take-off or landing when the aircraft must not be flown within 30 metres of any person except for the person in charge of the aircraft.
another rule==========
In a nutshell, these are the main UK drone laws that you should be aware of…

Firstly, the drone should not be flown within 50 metres of a person once it has taken off and begun its flight.

Last edited:
Thanks have seen them but can't figure out why they have omitted "over or" at the beginning of the 50m parts

I took my drone out today and went to the view point of my town where its on a hill in a big open space. There was 1 guy on a bench about 20 meters away while i took off and shot up to around 100 meters away and up. I did all my video i wanted and pressed return to home and came back veey safe at 30 meters high and lowered to me from above. He then came over and told me it was illegal to fly within 50m of him. I said i took off and went away. He was moaning that i was irresponsible which i was actually very responsible and safe. So i understand its ok to take off and land but sont go zooming past people doing low flybys as that would be stupid lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4