UK based? Where do you fly?

Reaction score
I was just wondering.....

Here in the UK we don't have a great deal of wilderness in which to fly, and we are not supposed to fly over built up areas or roads etc for obvious reasons. So I was just wondering where you all go with you Phantoms and quads?

RC flying clubs?
The beach?
Local parks?
National Parks?
Local farms (with permission)?

Just interested.

Pacman said:
I was just wondering.....

Here in the UK we don't have a great deal of wilderness in which to fly, and we are not supposed to fly over built up areas or roads etc for obvious reasons. So I was just wondering where you all go with you Phantoms and quads?

RC flying clubs? - No, too restrictive and many clubs think that multirotors are the work of the Devil :lol:
The beach? - Yes. But not on a crowded weekend in August! Mostly early morning or dusk and Non Windy days !
Local parks? - Yes. Again being careful and taking care with children, dog walkers etc
National Parks? - Yes, I sometimes fly in woodland trust areas. (Have had a 'ranger' come up and speak to me and rather than tell me "You can't do that, you can't do this he was really interested in what the Phantom could do and loved the FPV groundlink!)
Local farms (with permission)? - Yes (No :D ). I actually do not enter their land unless there is a publc right of way/ footpath etc. At the end of the day the farmer does not own or have any control over the airspace over his land the same as we don't over our properties.

Just interested.

There is also what is known as 'Common Access Land' (Look it up) There is probably some near you.
I think the most important thing is that you are sensible in what you do and how you go about it.
Have I flown over my neighbourhood? Absolutely (who hasn't)? Do I do it every day - No, of course not. Do I do it straight after uploading new firmware to give it a try? - Never ! Do I buzz round over peoples gardens? No... I wouldn't want it done to me so I won't do it to other people.

Another good tool... Google Earth/Maps is your friend! Load up your own address, switch to satellite view and start to explore your local area. You will be amazed how much open space shows up. If you see something that looks like a good flying area, zoom in and go street view for roads that give access to it. Is it restricted? Is it private? Is it surrounded by houses etc. Is there a little car park that might give a clue you could nip down there and have a whizz around.

In the summer when the evenings are longer - large retail parks after closing still have accessible car parks !

If you are questioned/challenged on what you're doing or why you're there be honest and say you have a hobby for aerial photography etc. Answer their questions etc. 9 times out of 10 they usually think the gear is so cool they start chatting about it especially if you have FPV groundlink and can actually show them what your quad is seeing. Once they realise that you cant see the retina's on peoples eyes or hear what individuals are saying from 200 feet up they understand you're not actually spying !

Rule of thumb - Be sensible with where you fly
Be responsible where you fly (don't swoop down on people etc)
DON'T hover over schools !! :shock: (We'll read about you in the national press!)

Local farms (with permission)? - Yes (No :D ). I actually do not enter their land unless there is a publc right of way/ footpath etc. At the end of the day the farmer does not own or have any control over the airspace over his land the same as we don't over our properties

I'm bit stuck on airspace local to me, The fields near have pylons across or close. I've made contact with a couple of farmers for the reason above. One off flys but if i'm wanting to use the airspace more i wanted to let them know what I'm doing.
A mile from me a farmer is having a Solar Farm in stalled in a field so had words and he's agreed to give me access to film the build from above to build a start to finish video and offered to give him a copy of clips so he doesn't think i'm check his grounds over.

Weather looked fine this dinner odd bit of rain so off I went into the sun 10 mins later downpour - life.

Tomorrow going over Yorkshire dales to coast weather say ok low wind sun so the quad will be with me, saying that since I got the quad I've needed a brolly more lol

Plenty of open farm land around my way in South Oxfordshire. I have permission from two places I fly (both of who looked totally dumfounded that I was even bothering to ask!). That said I don't lose a lot of sleep from flying over open fields/land as long as I take off/fly from a public area. The law is a little vague on this but I believe the CAA want to make sure your are not phyiscally tresspassing whereas the airspace above land is a grey area when it comes to ownership.
Problem is with fields is they are fricking dull... Now I have the Zenmuse + F450 too I intend to branch out and get permission on a few more interesting places :D

"I have permission from two places I fly" - It's the only way to keep people sweet last thing we need is old farmers kicking off and giving flyers a bad name.

My reason for the Phantom was 2nd choice against a replacement new camcorder which was going to cost me near a grand so this option opened up more filming options (with a fun thrown in)

Roll on winter and get use of filming fast flowing water courses safe and we have few Steam trains nearby and be able to send quad to film them pulling up a banking not able to do before etc. no permissions needed just a flask of tea lol.

Siddy said:
"I have permission from two places I fly" - It's the only way to keep people sweet last thing we need is old farmers kicking off and giving flyers a bad name.

Yeah and farmers have shot guns too ;) Really hoping for some cold frosty and sunny mornings for some filming. Bit of snow too would be good.

that old (and boring I think) chestnut of PfAW and aerial "rights" has me confused (easily done :) )

I use my Phantom to check factory roofs are ok for installing solar panels for our company.
I go up, go forward, turn round, come back and land. I'm not into sweeping aerial shots or artistic scenes, just use it as a useful tool. So, I'm on private property (owned by the factory owner), have their permission and am not within 50 m of other persons not under my control etc. etc. I'm a safe flyer, I take sensible precautions and even joined the BMFA to get their 3rd party insurance (probably invalid in this case, but useful for my training flights at a friend's farm).

So my question Mr CAA is - since when did you have the rights to come onto private property and tell me (actually the factory owner) what I can do on my land??
Is the law an *** in this case? Or has the CAA an automatic right to enforce anything not bolted to the ground, including the £15 minicopter I bought my small nephew that's flown in my living room?

The key issue is this idea of "reward". I can understand if I'm charging someone for a wedding video or a commercial advertising shoot over Stonehenge etc., but I'm quietly minding my own business with the full cooperation of the property owner. I guess if I give him control for 10 seconds he can claim it's his flight and therefore no "consideration" will take place.

I think the PfAW criteria need to be clearer - in the end it's whether the CAA can be bothered to enforce it.

Hi Everyone, I am starting to get frustrated with this before I've even started. I have one flight under my belt which was minimal on a piece of sparse public land.

I would love to get some good flying in but I want to film things and places of interest and not just fly and film an empty boring grass field.
It seems that due to the limits with where you can fly and considerations you need to apply i.e. people property etc, it is so restrictive that it seems pointless unless you are prepared to break the law.

Before I give up, in desperation I thought Id ask if anyone has ideas as to where to fly in Essex thats both interesting and legal?

If I have to go further afield then fine but it needs to meet the criteria.

Any help would be most appreciated.

I am a farmer in Australia I fly my P3 all over the place ,chase the cattle (they can't complain I own them) !fly over our place or any of the properties next to us they don't care. I have to say though we don't let anyone come on to our place to cut wood shoot foxes camp hike or the like because these days it is treated like a work place and you are held legally responsible for anything that happens there I would imagine it's the same in England So maybe keep that in mind. Or maybe they are just growing something they shouldn't be .?

Reactions: Derek Mackinnon
It is the same here. I have a fair few acres of woodland and people have asked my permission to use it for various things and I have to say no because of the liability factor. It's a sad state of society here. Where there's a blame there's a claim. That being said, if they are causing no harm I turn a blind eye. That's the same blind eye I turned to some kid who got tangled up in my electric stock fence while he and his friends were running away from a fire they had lit. Squealing like a piggy is an understatement!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm up in Scotland and mostly spend my time on the islands on the west coast. Plenty room to fly up here. I also live next to the airport where I certainly don't fly but actually know the traffic controllers. We also one have a few flights a day.

I know when I'm in the city it's pretty boring to fly but I tend to find beaches and fly there.

I'm up in Scotland and mostly spend my time on the islands on the west coast. Plenty room to fly up here. I also live next to the airport where I certainly don't fly but actually know the traffic controllers. We also one have a few flights a day.

I know when I'm in the city it's pretty boring to fly but I tend to find beaches and fly there.

A mountain bike rider I see Derek ? We complain about riding here in the winter (-5 degrees C some mornings) At that temperature in Scotland I bet you would be breaking out the sunscreen and heading for the beach !
I tried a bit of heli mustering with the Phantom the other day .The cattle were all very inquisitive the they all galloped off I chased them for a while at about 3 meters high but got nervy .Its really hard to judge height and distance at speed in FPV and our country is very hilly ! Might try my luck mustering some sheep instead ,my dog can have a day off .

Before I give up, in desperation I thought Id ask if anyone has ideas as to where to fly in Essex thats both interesting and legal?

If I have to go further afield then fine but it needs to meet the criteria.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Hi, I'm new to it, but happy to share my experience. First of all I'm checking this map No Fly Drones | No Fly Zones for Drones in the UK | Fly Safe
And then you just follow advices that were shared on this topic earlier. Over bank holiday I did this video in London.

Nothing special, but something to start with. Some people in my office were asking about 'how legal is it', but they have no experience or knowledge about drone low. So unless someone on this forum point me on my mistakes I'm sure it was legal. Just don't do stupid things.

On Sunday I'm going South, hoping to film something nice.

Last edited:
It was obviously late at night as the traffic was almost non existent. As far as how safe and legal is concerned I wouldn't like to say as Im not experienced enough but I'm sure someone will mention it on here who is more knowledgable.

Nice little film though, very atmospheric.

All along the coast is fantastic for filming as it is usually public property for the most part. Otherwise national parks are a great spot and rural locations. There really is a wealth of choice in the UK for filming.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1