UK 50m vessel, vehicle or structure regulation.

Reaction score
Hi, I've spent hours trying to research this area regarding flying within 50m of a vehicle without much luck.

Paragraph 2c states: must not fly within 50 metres of any vessel, vehicle or structure which is not under the control of the person in charge of the aircraft.

How do you all interpret "under the control of the person in charge of the aircraft"

An example.

1) If someone I know was on a quad bike and I told them to drive to a certain point, turn round and come back again. Yes?

2) A car was travelling down a non active closed for the day 1.5 mile runway at an event. Strictly speaking not in my control this one so I may well have to keep the minimum 50 metre distance. Or depending on what you all think in control is??

Initially I though in control was driving. vessel...yes, vehicle....yes, structure....no.

What's your thoughts or does or does anyone have a link to more info?

Thanks in advance

Small Unmanned Surveillance Aircraft
167 (1) The person in charge of a small unmanned surveillance aircraft must not fly the aircraft in any of the circumstances described in paragraph (2) except in accordance with a permission issued by the CAA.
(2) The circumstances referred to in paragraph (1) are:
(a) over or within 150 metres of any congested area;
(b) over or within 150 metres of an organised open-air assembly of more than 1,000 persons;
(c) within 50 metres of any vessel, vehicle or structure which is not under the control of the person in charge of the aircraft; or
(d) subject to paragraphs (3) and (4), within 50 metres of any person.
(3) Subject to paragraph (4), during take-off or landing, a small unmanned surveillance aircraft must not be flown within 30 metres of any person.
(4) Paragraphs (2)(d) and (3) do not apply to the person in charge of the small unmanned surveillance aircraft or a person under the control of the person in charge of the aircraft.
(5) In this article ‘a small unmanned surveillance aircraft’ means a small unmanned aircraft which is equipped to undertake any form of surveillance or data acquisition.

It's all very vague - some of the terms are never clearly defined. What does it man for a building to be 'under your control?' If you walked up to a building and told it very sternly to stay exactly where it was and not move at all, and it did exactly what you told it to, then is that building a 'structure under your control'?

Yes its all very odd to me.

A structure is something made of several parts, so if I made a full size house out of playdo I could fly near it but as soon as I fitted a wooden door to it I can't. :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20