UHS-III - Does anyone have one?!?!

Reaction score
If you do or don't. I don't know how I let this little card escape me but I have it and I must say it is a FANTASTIC card.

It's also one of the very few cards that read at UHS-II instead of 1 (not to be confused with U-1,2,3), those are different.

So this is a class 10 U3, UHS-II which writes at speeds of up to 150mpbs and when I just used it with my footage when I was out East, I don't have a single drop from, on continuous or not. This is a pretty quality card right here

Digressing for a sec, I used to have the Panasonic HVX which was one of the first MicroSD cameras and it had to use a stripe array for speed in order to keep up with the bitrate and I believe it was a raid of 4 for speed which is fast for any of my computer needs and we spends literally thousands on those cards back then in around 2010 or so. Those dropped frames now and again.

Today, comparatively speaking, we can get a single, non-raided card that doesn't drop frames at a cost that I would have paid to put a sleeve on over the other ones. Loving that,

I highly recommend this card for a bunch of reasons. It also comes with a USB-3 card adapter so if you don't have one, you can make use of its high bus speed when transferring files. Makes the process A LOT faster. If anyone knows of a microSD card that meets the UHS-3 standard, please let me know because I can't find one.

STAMP: Approved and HIGHLY recommended! :confused::cool::p

Amazon.com: Lexar Professional 1000x microSDXC 64GB UHS-II/U3 (Up to 150MB/s Read) W/USB 3.0 Reader Flash Memory Card LSDMI64GCBNL1000R: Computers & Accessories

It's also one of the very few cards that read at UHS-II instead of 1 (not to be confused with U-1,2,3), those are different.

So this is a class 10 U3, UHS-II which writes at speeds of up to 150mpbs

Amazon.com: Lexar Professional 1000x microSDXC 64GB UHS-II/U3 (Up to 150MB/s Read) W/USB 3.0 Reader Flash Memory Card LSDMI64GCBNL1000R: Computers & Accessories
Up to 150 MB/s is the card's Read speed rating, as distinguished from the Write speed, and the Write speed for this 1000x card is only rated at up to 45 MB/s. Big difference. :cool:

What size card can the P4 handle ?
It's not the size, it's the capability. ;)
These state of the art cards are largely overkill in the P4 and P3. Only if you are shooting massive quantities of continuous DNG stills in 5 frame AEB brackets will the write speed help with the buffer, and some have reported that the missed frames between the 4GB continuous video segments are minimized with a faster write speed, although I can't see it. The $10 16GB 633x Lexar that ships with most P3 and P4's will never be filled to capacity in a single flight, and already fully supports the 4K video the camera shoots. You would need over 35 minutes of continuous 4K video to fill that card. You should also swap cards every time you land, in case your next flight is your last, and the card is never recovered. That way, you never lose more than one flight recording. Get multiple 16 GB cards. Bigger isn't necessarily better. ;)

These state of the art cards are largely overkill in the P4 and P3. Only if you are shooting massive quantities of continuous DNG stills in 5 frame AEB brackets will the write speed help with the buffer, and some have reported that the missed frames between the 4GB continuous video segments are minimized with a faster write speed, although I can't see it. The $10 16GB 633x Lexar that ships with most P3 and P4's will never be filled to capacity in a single flight, and already fully supports the 4K video the camera shoots. You would need over 35 minutes of continuous 4K video to fill that card. You should also swap cards every time you land, in case your next flight is your last, and the card is never recovered. That way, you never lose more than one flight recording. Get multiple 16 GB cards. Bigger isn't necessarily better. ;)

I am a software tech in real life yet common sense obviously leaves me from time to time :)
What you say makes perfect sense, its just that it needs saying from time to time to take it in ;)

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I am a software tech in real life yet common sense obviously leaves me from time to time :)
What you say makes perfect sense, its just that it needs saying from time to time to take it in ;)
LOL! That's what she said! ;)

Actually I thought I was posting about the 1800x. It's the one I am using. It wasn't cheap for the 64. Might have just had some late night brain flatulance and to be honest, the extra speed is in bandwidth which is not really what I care about. It will transfer faster but I was a UHS-III which is what I am wondering if anyone has seen. How is there this format for a card that doesn't exist? If you look at the physical make up of the card (either the 1000x or the 1800x) it literally has 2 rows of connectors instead of 1 and it alternates creatiing a qui-raid. A UHS-III would have 3 of those and for anyone that knows about raid arrays knows that speeding it up is exponential. In other words a UHS-III speed won't be twice as fast as UHS-II but rather several times quicker because exponential.

But yes, you are right, get the 1800 unless you don't want to spend the money, or can't rather, the 1000x is PLENTY fast. It came with the 633x for other's perspective who aren't hardware nerds, like me.

EDIT: Also and this is VERY IMPORTANT, do NOT ORDER from a non Amazon sold and fulfilled. Not fulfilled or you have a literal 50/50 shot of getting the card you actually want. It's probably about 95% that you will even from shipped and sold by Amazon. SD and MicroSD cards and formally CDs and DVDs are the #1 fake form of media on the market. Mainly because its easy to make a 4gb card look like a 64 and the technology is simple to backward engineer and replicate.

After every card purchase, PC users should use a program called H2Testw (just google and download it for free). It's the standard. The test takes a LOOOONNNGGG time. A 64 gig card is set it and forget it and you will have your results later. If you want a not as good but quicker one, you "FakeFlashTest". But I recommend using the standard H2TestW. You will thank or kill me once you find 1/4th of your media is really a 8gb card by an unknown manufacturer. :eek:

Link to H2TestW. I am very serious by the way. Check your cards. I almost guarantee some of you will find you have fake cards.

h2testw – Gold standard in detecting fake capacity flash

The only one I know on the Mac is sdspeed, available in the iTunes store but it's $8.99. I am sure you can find a free one with some diligence or just wine.

Last edited:
This is all true but if you want to MAKE SURE you don't drop frames for a full 32gig shoot continuously, you can't count on 633x. You can count on it in general but if you want rock solid, definite not dropping frames, you use something like the 1000x. Frankly, I think the 1000x is affordable and really good but the 1800x is too much as I stated above, you're just going to bottle neck anyway.

If I wasn't clear, my mind looks at things frame by frame electronically and I can say with some authority that the speed of the card does make a difference on dropped frames, not only on the transitions but during regular recording. Even at UHS-III it only guarantees a bottomed out speed of 30 and up 250 or something but that means it probably won't ever fall below the 60 that our P4s are. Speed DEFINITELY helps dropped frames. However, some people don't want to spend an extra $35-$40 to not drop a frame here or there and that's understandable.

This is all true but if you want to MAKE SURE you don't drop frames for a full 32gig shoot continuously, you can't count on 633x.
My Phantom 4 will only shoot about 4GB at a time. I think that's a 32bit CPU addressing limitation. My P4 starts a new file after 4GB. Can you do a 32GB continuous shot?

My Phantom 4 will only shoot about 4GB at a time. Can you do a 32GB continuous shot?
No. The video file will split into separate 4GB files.

My Phantom 4 will only shoot about 4GB at a time. I think that's a 32bit CPU addressing limitation. My P4 starts a new file after 4GB. Can you do a 32GB continuous shot?
It's a "continuous" recording that is automatically broken into separate 4GB files, with a noticeable drop of frames during the transition between them. If you stop the recording at a dull moment, and manually restart it, you may avoid dropping frames at a decisive recording moment, as a new up to 4GB file is started every time you begin recording.

Some good info here. I just purchased this cheap from Amazon. If it works out fine I'll buy a bunch more. From my understanding this is a higher performance card than the stock one that comes with it?

Amazon.com: Silicon Power 16GB up to 85MB/s MicroSDHC UHS-1 Class10, Elite Flash Memory Card with Adaptor (SP016GBSTHBU1V20SP): Computers & Accessories
No, it's not. The stock 633x Blue 16GB U3 Lexar is up to 95MB/s read and 40 MB/s write. The one you selected is: Read up to 85 MB/s, but write only up to 25 MB/s. That's why it's only $5.

No, it's not. The stock 633x Blue 16GB U3 Lexar is up to 95MB/s read and 40 MB/s write. The one you selected is: Read up to 85 MB/s, but write only up to 25 MB/s. That's why it's only $5.
Cool. Thanks! I need to do more research:)

How do I find the write speed of cards if it isn't listed?

Cool. Thanks! I need to do more research:)

How do I find the write speed of cards if it isn't listed?
The list of Answered Questions for the cards on Amazon usually includes that question and various answers that need to be parsed and verified.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20