UAVSA.org America's First Drone Association

Reaction score
I'm reading in an issue of Rotor Drone about America's First Drone Association. They hope to be our voice in regards to the FAA. They can't reach that point, if they don't get members.

As for me, I'm joining.

What about the AMA?

LiLPhantom said:
Anything for a buck, membership bucks rule and are known to fund retirements, look behind the scenes and find out whom is the supreme leader of this said org. Happens all the time with excitement and new tech.... Hell I can start a .org and blow it up...

I agree.

Anyone these days can start a "drone association". Just pay a few bucks for a GoDaddy domain name and you're good to go. All those membership dollars can be abused for a comfy salary, company car, and lavish trips to various drone expos and talks, although plenty of golf outings and fancy dinners expensed as well. Politically, not much lobbying gets done.

I think I'll pass on this one. I can get a lot more done sending heartfelt letters and emails to my Congressmen.

Khudson7 said:
SteveMann said:
I wrote an essay recently: "Who Represents Us". You can read it here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1421565/copter/Who Represents Us.doc
Wow Steve, very nicely written essay. I found it very informative, opening my eyes to a number of org. out there I was not aware of. ( I suspect you might get some pushback on your AMA comments, but over all, lots of good info)

Thanks...
What?? I said that if you fly as a hobby that you should be a member of the AMA.

SteveMann said:
Khudson7 said:
SteveMann said:
I wrote an essay recently: "Who Represents Us". You can read it here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1421565/copter/Who Represents Us.doc
Wow Steve, very nicely written essay. I found it very informative, opening my eyes to a number of org. out there I was not aware of. ( I suspect you might get some pushback on your AMA comments, but over all, lots of good info)

Thanks...
What?? I said that if you fly as a hobby that you should be a member of the AMA.
Sorry Steve, my bad. It is a well written and full of information article. I probably read to much into the AMA part of it, after the back and forth we had in another post. Thanks for posting it.

UAVSA is part of the Tesla Foundation, an initiative to strengthen US based innovation in critical areas, drones being one. UAVSA takes a progressive approach to drones and RC and is interested in using technology to integrate them safely into the NAS. It has interests in both commercial and amateur use. They see a big future for drones in many aspects of our lives. Personally, it's a much better fit for me. I share that vision. It's a 501c(3) which means they know the only way to get action is to raise money and lobby. Sad but true.

ianwood said:
UAVSA is part of the Tesla Foundation, an initiative to strengthen US based innovation in critical areas, drones being one. UAVSA takes a progressive approach to drones and RC and is interested in using technology to integrate them safely into the NAS. It has interests in both commercial and amateur use. They see a big future for drones in many aspects of our lives. Personally, it's a much better fit for me. I share that vision. It's a 501c(3) which means they know the only way to get action is to raise money and lobby. Sad but true.

I did a Professional subscription. Looks like it's right for me as well. Thanks for the background info ianwood :)

Looks like a good organization that knows the industry well. I'm curious if anyone out there has used UAVSA's Exemption Assistance? It's significantly less costly ($500 for the Professional package) than many of the other providers out there (ie, Gowdy Brothers, Carriere & Little, UAV Coach, etc) who charge $1500+, who basically obtain your detailed info, tailor your application, submit your application, monitor it, and make any changes and communications w/ the FAA for you. My guess is that UAVSA may not provide the full scope of services that these others do, and acts more as a guidebook and advisor, but I could be wrong? Haven't got a return email from them yet. Has anyone used their Exemption Assistance services yet?

I'm just about ready to pony up $1,500 to the Gowdy Brothers

They say that they have never had a client fail to get their FAA exemption, just trying to do some due diligence...

Matthew

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik