UAV's going mainstream in USA Today

Reaction score
With the recent news about Amazon's plans to use UAV's to deliver goods, the FAA is now having to deal with their UAV regulations. I'm sure many of you caught this on USA Today. Although the main guy interviewed is not using a Phantom, I thought it would be an interesting story to link here nonetheless. I'm curious about his statements regarding 'certification' and 'insurance'. Who does the certification and what are the requirements?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2013 ... y/3805387/

If you read in to it well enough you will learn the FAA has actually given certification to a lucky few already!

I'd imagine DJI is one of those lucky few, or everyone of their videos/demos at a expo would be in violation of the FAA regs.

Driffill said:
If you read in to it well enough you will learn the FAA has actually given certification to a lucky few already!

I'd imagine DJI is one of those lucky few, or everyone of their videos/demos at a expo would be in violation of the FAA regs.

DJI doing a demo at an expo is not the same as someone setting up to charge for aerial videography services. At an expo, DJI are no more than a company supplying a 'hobby' aircraft. Plus, the way that main guy in the video was speaking, I got the impression that he was certified by either the (1) manufacturer, or (2) more likely the vendor. There are a few companies I've seen on the web who offer 1-2 day workshops. I'm guessing this is the type of 'certification' he's talking about. I doubt the FAA has any official certification process in place for UAV pilots.

http://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/uas/

About half way down it has info about "Certificates of Authorisation" and how many have been granted thus far. It also has some info on how to apply etc . . .

I'll admit I haven't watched that video you posted, but I just wanted to point out that there is a method that you can take to allow you to use a phantom for commercial purposes! Not easy, not cheap!

That video starts "gettin deep" about 2:52 when Manie says he's the First and ONLY certified Drom operator (for one particular model) yet I carry Two Certifications for two different models .. then some double speak. The certifications are from the MANUFACTURERS themselves. Who certified you Manie? Oh the manufacture ... that's the Chinese guy that builds 10 or 12 of these things a year. Or the 800 square foot factory in Shenzhen run by two 18 year olds. Geeezzz it gets deep.

And that's how the confusion grows and grows.

I may be wrong but don't think so. COA's are only being issued to agencies operating Aircraft in the Public use category and to
qualified Universities, military and contractors. There is no civilian commercial certification going on at this time. That's because there's no regulation. Lots of confusion out there.

He's (Manie) right about one thing ... it's like the wild west out there ... carpetbaggers and card sharks coming from all directions.

He must be spending his daddy's money. if it took him 4 years and $70K to get a couple of DSLR's in the air; he must be one hella businessman but not too good with a screwdriver. Motor skills might be lacking too, I had my 8 year old Grandson flying figure 8's in two battery pac's. I must just be a cranky old man 'cause some of this stuff makes me dizzy.

Sidewinder said:
I must just be a cranky old man 'cause some of this stuff makes me dizzy.

I should send you an invite to our new group, COPP (Cranky Old Phantom Pilots) :lol:

Our motto: "Hey you kids!! Get outta my **** airspace!"

OI Photography said:
I should send you an invite to our new group, COPP (Cranky Old Phantom Pilots) :lol:

Our motto: "Hey you kids!! Get outta my **** airspace!"

LOL I'd fit right in but I'm not really a phantom pilot. This is the first one I ever had and sending that POS back in favor of the new one coming out between now and the 20th. (not my first multi-rotor though, got a couple of Blade 350's and box full of other broken Chinese junk)

That PV is what brought me here because mine had so much wrong with it. Now I kinda like the place with all the drama with JSG and gang. LOL

Actually there's quite a knowledge base here so I'll hang around at least until I know all the in's and out's of this Phantom. Although it ain't 'xactly Rocket Surgery. But, surely you see what I rant about .....

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik