UAV Ground School

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I know of several ground school programs for certificates for UAV operations. I'm not sure if that is necessary for me at this time, but I'm always looking for materials / sources for learning and becoming a better pilot. Does anyone know of any such resources? Thanks

Hi Voodoo,

Its all depends on where you are in the world! I can give you some information that might help but it is UK focused - does that help?

Thanks

I didn't know there was an UAS (that's the term the FAA likes, Unmanned Aerial System) ground school, at least in the US. The FAA stuff I've read regarding UAS operation seems to specify Private Pilot Certification ground school.

What country are you in? In the US, the current thing the FAA is doing for any non-commercial non-public users is refer to a national model aircraft association and follow their self-regulations (which are informed by various FAA regs and advisories). So if you ever got into trouble somehow, it would probably help you out quite a bit if you could at least say you were following some national model aircraft association's rules and practices. It doesn't seem that the FAA wants to endorse a specific model airplane club though.

Before you go out wasting your money understand a few things.
The FAA does not issue "certificate of authority" to private individuals.
The few that have been issued went to government agencies and universities.

The US FAA is forbidden from regulating UAV's.
In my opinion, the few flight training schools that have cropped up, are a joke.
You don't need to sit at a desk for two weeks. You need to get your lazy butt outside, and fly the **** thing!

Find an AMA flying field. Chances are someone there will have a quad.
So learn from them. And have fun watching them fly their big birds for free!

Suwaneeguy said:
The US FAA is forbidden from regulating UAV's.
I agree that there isn't much point to going to "model aircraft" quadcopter UAV ground school right now, but what? The FAA already has a bunch of regs regarding UAVs (though they're calling them UASes). Most of them are oriented toward things larger than 40lbs or something. Where are you getting that they're forbidden from regulating UAVs? They're certainly not forbidden from regulating controlled airspace, and they're certainly issuing a few tail (registration numbers) for larger UAVs to companies that build experimental ones, for example.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4