UAV Forecast Trustworthiness?

Reaction score
The app shall we say...is a somewhat acceptable, and I dare say, yet a reliable app? It is seriously in question. IMO? A wholeheartedly BEWARE what you see as a "SAFE TO FLY" recommendation! While the efforts of the designer(s) of the app may have tried to be so-called accurate in the offering advice as to weather conditions .You may find that their advice to be horrendously detrimental to your actual flight in conditions for your area.

Following your local weather reports for real time actual weather reports for wind and other adverse weather conditions in your area are your best options.

I find it to be accurate and reliable. I ignore the whole KP Index nonsense though. But their wind readings are spot on when I cross reference them to other weather apps. By far, the best feature is the "Forecast" that tells you hourly wind conditions. Makes it easy to pick the best time of day/evening to fly.

That said, anyone who completely relies on an app to tell them it's safe to fly isn't being very responsible.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

As much as I love this app I find the rain % here in central Florida to be highly inaccurate. I have given up many opportunities to fly due to UAV Forecast showing high rain chances and it never raining. I've had to fall back on my trusty Accuweather app for (as close to) accurate rain chance percentages.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I cannot use it at all in Hawaii. When it says safe to fly 0% precipitation it is raining. When it says 5mph wind it's blowing 15-20. It may work other locations but not on any of the three islands I fly. I can't find a support email or contact to give feedback.

All the App does is gather and 're-transmit' existing reports.
These may suffer from not only the proximity of the reporting site to your actual location but also latency.

Weather radar and a 'wet finger' in the wind at your exact site are far more accurate and insightful.

Reactions: Meta4 and BigAl07
Weather radar and a 'wet finger' in the wind at your exact site are far more accurate and insightful.

Couldn't agree more. Apps like this are very useful for planning (full disclosure, I'm part of a team building something similar) but weather forecasts in particular should be treated as a supplementary tool instead of an end-all be-all.

I cannot use it at all in Hawaii. When it says safe to fly 0% precipitation it is raining. When it says 5mph wind it's blowing 15-20. It may work other locations but not on any of the three islands I fly. I can't find a support email or contact to give feedback.

It's better to use METAR and TAF from local airports. :sunglasses:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4