Typical P2 Range with AVL58?

Reaction score
I'm a P2 Vision owner and very content with the simple and integrated, although compromised, setup of the P2V. I'm hooked. The more I fly however, I find myself wanting more, having now ordered a third party 2 axis gimbal, and more importantly, I've developed "range rage" constantly reading and trying to extend RC and FPV range.

I know from this forum that the 2.4 RC offers greater range than the P2V and the AVL58 offers greater range than the stock P2V repeater. I've now realized too that I can purchase a package with iOSD mini and AVL58 already installed, and don't think it would be too difficult to upgrade for Ground Station when enabled. May be a poor assumption, not sure.

In any event, could you comment on your typical range for both RC control and FPV with the AVL58?

mem_ny said:
I'm a P2 Vision owner and very content with the simple and integrated, although compromised, setup of the P2V. I'm hooked. The more I fly however, I find myself wanting more, having now ordered a third party 2 axis gimbal, and more importantly, I've developed "range rage" constantly reading and trying to extend RC and FPV range.

I know from this forum that the 2.4 RC offers greater range than the P2V and the AVL58 offers greater range than the stock P2V repeater. I've now realized too that I can purchase a package with iOSD mini and AVL58 already installed, and don't think it would be too difficult to upgrade for Ground Station when enabled. May be a poor assumption, not sure.

In any event, could you comment on your typical range for both RC control and FPV with the AVL58?

Bad ideea to install AVL58 on Phantom Vision. Use 5.8Ghz frequency same as Vision RC.

If want more range can find a post on Vision forum about how to increase Vision range. Last time when I have read the topic the limit was 1km +.

Thanks ginsonic, but I was considering switching completely over to a non vision P2. I like the range and technology, but am concerned that I will miss the ability to take pics at will.

Mem-ny--I have very quickly gone down the same path you have from my. From my P2V in late November to my P2, AVL58w/cloverleaf antenna, mini IOSD, and 2.4G data link installed. I use the flysight black pearl 7" 5.8ghz sold by drone fly. Only a few flights so far on the P2 but I have gone farther in my P2 already. So far only the wind kept me from going further as I turned back in fear of not making it back into a strong wind. Turned around with 35% battery into a strong wind and landed with 5%. 1400M out and still had a strong enough video and IOSD display to be able to know I was flying back toward my home point. More specifics and real testing soon as my normally temperate weather returns from below freezing here in the Texas Hill Country!

I too have range rage and so next I will head to the San Antonio store for better antennas and maybe onto 1.2/1.3ghz transit and receive.

Then ground station will take us further!

Be careful with 1.2-1.3 could interfere with gps signal. On a quad it is hard because everything is so close, so filters don't always help. 2.4 is better for a quad but then you need to change Rc to UHF and again lots of interference on a quad. It can be done just harder. I am thinking about using one of my ezuhf rx and putting it in p2 and seeing what scans I can get to see where interference is coming from

Thanks for that tip on GPS interference. Was just starting to think about this before visiting the FPV guys in San Antonio to get smarter on it all soon. I have used really long range 70cm with GPS trackers from BigRedBee in rockets we launched up to 12-15K feet but do not have a lot of RF experience beyond that for data/video.

So 1.2/1.3ghz can interfere with GPS but 2.4 and 5.8 do not? What are the specifics on this? And, what about 900mhz. What other options or considerations are in play here to get longer range FPV?

Thanks!

1.3 is around same frequency. 2.4 and 5.8 don't bother it. 900 is great but if your around lots of cell towers then not so good. also the lower the frequency the better range and penetration but less video quality and antennas get bigger. draw backs to all. with a diversity receiver and a helical antenna and clover leaf you should be getting all the range you can get on 5.8 without going to uhf for rc control. i got my P2 over 1.5 miles and went into fail safe but didn't lose video at all. i was using a futaba 8fg though with stock rx. also this was with a 600mw immersionrc vtx with clover leaf antenna.
if you go to antenna search.com you will see what towers are near where you fly

Hi everybody! I have just ordered a phantom 2 and will receive it shortly.
Im interested in a FPV and what I have understand the AVL58 is a good pick for this.

This might be a stupid question, but will the steering range for the phantom be better with this kit installed? I can't really figure out if the AVL58 only give the pilot LIVE video or both (Live video + better range for steering).

And my second question:
How will the Phantom 2 battery be effected with all this extra gear mounted on it? (extra battery, tx module, extra antenna + cables). How many minutes of flighttime can I get with this installed using a GoPro Hero 3+.

Thank you.

TXhillcountryphantom said:
Mem-ny--I have very quickly gone down the same path you have from my. From my P2V in late November to my P2, AVL58w/cloverleaf antenna, mini IOSD, and 2.4G data link installed. I use the flysight black pearl 7" 5.8ghz sold by drone fly. Only a few flights so far on the P2 but I have gone farther in my P2 already. So far only the wind kept me from going further as I turned back in fear of not making it back into a strong wind. Turned around with 35% battery into a strong wind and landed with 5%. 1400M out and still had a strong enough video and IOSD display to be able to know I was flying back toward my home point. More specifics and real testing soon as my normally temperate weather returns from below freezing here in the Texas Hill Country!

I too have range rage and so next I will head to the San Antonio store for better antennas and maybe onto 1.2/1.3ghz transit and receive.

Thank you TXhillcountryphantom for your reply. This increased range without bulky antennas really intrigues me. Are you able to extract (for lack of a better word) photo's from the Gopro video? I really like what the P2 has to offer with the exception that you can't take "on demand" photos.

Yes, the ability to easily start and stop video and shoot stills from my Phantom 2 VISION is the only thing I really miss with my Phantom 2 (NON VISION) setup. I have used GoPro's over the years for various things but am not the expert on them by far. Go to the video forum on this phantompilots to ask those types of questions. I know video frames can be saved to stills but I suspect the quality/resolution would be diminished. You can also set up the GoPro3+ before flight to shoot stills amongst video at the same time in burst and on a schedule. I have read somewhere on this forum that the quality/resolution of those stills is somehow diminished but I did not note that in the GoPro3+ manual. The video and pro movie guys on that forum can address all of these types of questions. Good luck. I will post more of my rage range progress here once I am out flying again!

I flew out to 2000m today and still had relatively good picture quality. Similar to the images shown by ravecreative recenlty, I bent my cloverleaf antenna pointing down a bit and I believe (cannot quanitfy with any level of sceince) that this helped a bit. The problem I am wrestling with a bit and will continue to focus on is the "directional" aspects to my setup...as also like in ravecreatives images, my cloverleaf point off the back of my P2. So when I fly out to 2000m (I am US but use meters as my iOSD reports meters) and still have a relatively good image, certainly good enough to see iOSD readings easily, when I rotate 180 degrees to fly back toward home, my picture quality degrades. You might say fly home backwards, and I do that sometimes, but for the sake of my video, it is more customary to film with the camera on the leading edge of the direction being flown than to drag from behind.

I will try to fly a bit higher today, say 250m and see if I can make it out further, to say 2500m. I have had no hint of failsafe/return to home yet at 1500-2000m as I often do with my P2V. I will start to document and chart my distance and altitutde and picture quality relative % soon.

DISCLAIMER: RANGE RAGE is NOT for the faint of heart. I had my first CRASH in at least 100 flights with my P2V and a handful with this P2. I was flying the P2 back to me into a strong wind. Last reading that I could see clearly was 650m out (I was having some video issues with the P2 flying toward me to the iOSD was intermittent). I was flying home into a steady wind, and while battery should not have been an issue, I was still concerned. I was descedning a bit to try to get into lesser winds (wishful thinking maybe and pilot error) as I was also flying toward me and lost visual (bad idea #2 as I should have kept my eyes on the P2). The last thing I saw on screen was it still appearing to be decending while moving toward me long after I had stopped bringing it down with the controller. Then I had no video, no visual, nothing. **** controller off and did all the normal return to home but to no evail. I had to cross to small ranch barbed wire fence lines (a good way to get bit or shot) into neighbroing ranches that we do not know over two differnet trips to find the craft ultimately just 450m away (seems close until you are in heavy trees and brush). So after over an hour of searching I did find it at the base of a live oak tree, upside down on the ground, two broken props, hair-line crack in one of the arms, battery thrown out from P2, and only some minor structural damage to the gimbal--it was bent up at the base and rubber damper points and while functioning ok, will be replaced. Video, OSD, and camera still ok though the brand new goPro3+ has some cosmetic damage to the rubber edge around the lens but seems to function fine.

I will post some most excellent footage once I hone by video editing skills to cut this clip from the end of a long video. Sad, but all is well that ends well. There was a long period where I thought I would never find the downed P2...

Anyone have any ideas on my crash? There should be little/no RF interference out here and I have never noticed an issue before. The video clearly shows it descending while moving towards me. I still had 26% battery left when I retrieved a checked. Not sure why it continued to descend as it moved toward me...

I flew out to 2000m today and still had relatively good picture quality. Similar to the images shown by ravecreative recenlty, I bent my cloverleaf antenna pointing down a bit and I believe (cannot quanitfy with any level of sceince) that this helped a bit. The problem I am wrestling with a bit and will continue to focus on is the "directional" aspects to my setup...as also like in ravecreatives images, my cloverleaf point off the back of my P2. So when I fly out to 2000m (I am US but use meters as my iOSD reports meters) and still have a relatively good image, certainly good enough to see iOSD readings easily, when I rotate 180 degrees to fly back toward home, my picture quality degrades. You might say fly home backwards, and I do that sometimes, but for the sake of my video, it is more customary to film with the camera on the leading edge of the direction being flown than to drag from behind.

I will try to fly a bit higher today, say 250m and see if I can make it out further, to say 2500m. I have had no hint of failsafe/return to home yet at 1500-2000m as I often do with my P2V. I will start to document and chart my distance and altitutde and picture quality relative % soon.

DISCLAIMER: RANGE RAGE is NOT for the faint of heart. I had my first CRASH in at least 100 flights with my P2V and a handful with this P2. I was flying the P2 back to me into a strong wind. Last reading that I could see clearly was 650m out (I was having some video issues with the P2 flying toward me to the iOSD was intermittent). I was flying home into a steady wind, and while battery should not have been an issue, I was still concerned. I was descedning a bit to try to get into lesser winds (wishful thinking maybe and pilot error) as I was also flying toward me and lost visual (bad idea #2 as I should have kept my eyes on the P2). The last thing I saw on screen was it still appearing to be decending while moving toward me long after I had stopped bringing it down with the controller. Then I had no video, no visual, nothing. **** controller off and did all the normal return to home but to no evail. I had to cross to small ranch barbed wire fence lines (a good way to get bit or shot) into neighbroing ranches that we do not know over two differnet trips to find the craft ultimately just 450m away (seems close until you are in heavy trees and brush). So after over an hour of searching I did find it at the base of a live oak tree, upside down on the ground, two broken props, hair-line crack in one of the arms, battery thrown out from P2, and only some minor structural damage to the gimbal--it was bent up at the base and rubber damper points and while functioning ok, will be replaced. Video, OSD, and camera still ok though the brand new goPro3+ has some cosmetic damage to the rubber edge around the lens but seems to function fine.

I will post some most excellent footage once I hone by video editing skills to cut this clip from the end of a long video. Sad, but all is well that ends well. There was a long period where I thought I would never find the downed P2...

Anyone have any ideas on my crash? There should be little/no RF interference out here and I have never noticed an issue before. The video clearly shows it descending while moving towards me. I still had 26% battery left when I retrieved a checked. Not sure why it continued to descend as it moved toward me...

100 flights with no problem and then ..... Bang !

Just shows how vulnerable we are. Can't wait to see the video.

mem_ny said:
...Are you able to extract (for lack of a better word) photo's from the GoPro video? I really like what the P2 has to offer with the exception that you can't take "on demand" photos.

Actually, at least with the GoPro Hero 3+, you don't have to extract photos from the video.

Simultaneous Video and Photo mode allows you to simultaneously capture both Videos and Photos. You can set the camera to take a Photo every 5,10,30,or 60 seconds while you record Video in 1080p24 fps, 1080p30 fps, 720p60fps, or 1140p24 fps.

v/r

Michael

@ TXhillcountryphantom

You mention a store in San Antonio. I'm going to be in San Antonio and Fredericksburg next week and am looking to purchase a gimbal and have it installed. There is nowhere that does this in the RGV. Do you have a good place you can recommend?

Thanks!

RGVPhantom said:
@ TXhillcountryphantom

You mention a store in San Antonio. I'm going to be in San Antonio and Fredericksburg next week and am looking to purchase a gimbal and have it installed. There is nowhere that does this in the RGV. Do you have a good place you can recommend?

Thanks!

RGVPhantom--The FPV store in San Antonio is http://hobbywireless.com
It turns out they are NOT a storefront and it took some effort for me to get them to help me in person. Bought then I bought a bunch of stuff and all was well.

http://www.uavdirect.com/ nearby in Liberty Hill (NWest of Austin) is a full DJI shop and shipped me a new gimbal for my damaged P2 gimbal. I am sure they would install for you. Good folks there...

What do you do and why are you in my neck of the woods this coming week?

Thanks,
David

RGVPhantom said:
@ TXhillcountryphantom

Thanks!

RGVPhantom--The FPV store in San Antonio is http://hobbywireless.com
It turns out they are NOT a storefront and it took some effort for me to get them to help me in person. Bought then I bought a bunch of stuff and all was well.

http://www.uavdirect.com/ nearby in Liberty Hill (NWest of Austin) is a full DJI shop and shipped me a new gimbal for my damaged P2 gimbal. I am sure they would install for you. Good folks there...

What do you do and why are you in my neck of the woods this coming week?

Thanks,
David

Thanks for the info. I spoke with Hobby Wireless already and they do not install anything unfortunately. I may have to check out UAVDirect though, that's not too far. I also have the option of sending it to DSLRPros and they'll install it for $90 which isn't bad.

I have a ranch in Fredericksburg and am up there all the time for vacation. New to the Phantom, but already looking for more ways to spend too much $.

Hi TXHillcountryphantom,

Question about your AVL58 transmitter and the Flightsight Black Pearl LCD screen with built in receiver. Did the channels on the your transmitter and receiver line up (channel 1 to channel 1). Perfectly. I'm having a heck of a time getting my AVL58 transmitter to work with my lilliput 664/w and have sent it back. Let me know if your transmitter/monitor works like it should. Thanks again!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4