TX Started Beeping

N017RW

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
The exact time between first warning and before RTH would likely depend on battery type or chemistry and quality. It is intended to give you ample warning so you can land or complete the flight.

But as you mentioned, RTH would follow when appropriate so no need to panic unless you are in a bad place for RTH to occur.

Thank you. I always charge my tx batteries after going through 5 batteries so I have never seen that nor do I choose to wait for it.

For me, my first experience the first week.
Every time I urned the tx on, I'd here it beeping in a few minutes.
The batteries were brand new out of the bag.
yeah right.
I went to a large parking lot to try it out. Same thing.
Then suddenly it shot up to 20 meters, came down, landed and shut off.
So I bought a pack of new batteries.
Problem solved.
At least I found out that RTH works as it should.

Monte55 said:
Thank you. I always charge my tx batteries after going through 5 batteries so I have never seen that nor do I choose to wait for it.

I use Duracells now, that have the power meter on the side. I've easily done 10 flights on a set.

I use a different series than this (with a slightly different gauge on it)... either the ProCell or Max or something, but, you get the point.
http://previewcf.turbosquid.com/Preview ... 9Large.jpg

Thinking about trying rechargeables.

I always check battery voltage with digital vom. I never touch the ends of cells. Before installing I always rub the ends on my clean jeans to be sure they are clean.

Monte55 said:
I always check battery voltage with digital vom. I never touch the ends of cells. Before installing I always rub the ends on my clean jeans to be sure they are clean.

That's the beauty of the Duracells... you don't have to touch the ends of the cells.

I'm not sure I understand your comment. You never have to touch the ends but many do leaving body oils etc which degrades contact. It's hard ..say a watch battery without touching the contact area. I've seen many do it without consideration.

Monte55 said:
I'm not sure I understand your comment. You never have to touch the ends but many do leaving body oils etc which degrades contact. It's hard ..say a watch battery without touching the contact area. I've seen many do it without consideration.

Ah, got it. Yeah, it's like touching the glass part on a halogen bulb.

For what its worth I just put 25 flights on a set of duracells. A new set is slightly better than 1.6 volts and after 25 flights they are down to 1.35 volts.

I think N017RW said in another thread that the TX voltage is regulated at 3 to 3.3 range area. So that said you should be able to make a lot of flights on a set of batteries before you get any loss in performance.

Dirk, if you still have the batteries can you put a voltmeter on them to see where there are at this beeping point?

Holy crap!!! Your changing batteries every 5 flights? :eek:

I go 24-25 15 minutes flights before I here a peep. I'm using Duracell Quantum, I buy a 40 pack at Costco for about 18 bucks

rrmccabe said:
For what its worth I just put 25 flights on a set of duracells. A new set is slightly better than 1.6 volts and after 25 flights they are down to 1.35 volts.

I think N017RW said in another thread that the TX voltage is regulated at 3 to 3.3 range area. So that said you should be able to make a lot of flights on a set of batteries before you get any loss in performance.

Dirk, if you still have the batteries can you put a voltmeter on them to see where there are at this beeping point?

Yes, the Tx is definately regulated [down] to some voltage in the 3.3 +/-vdc range but requires a bit of voltage above that called dropout to be able to regulate. The Tx will not operate at a reduced RF output but rather just shut-down after falling below the dropout voltage (and thus iniate a fail-safe RTH).

No big deal. I was just curious at what voltage the beep kicks in at.

dirkclod said:
Was Flying this morning and out about 1000" and way above any trees and that's when I heard it, Beep Beep, Beep :shock: When I finally figured out where it was coming from and remembered that it was the TX"s Battery's I liked to stroked :lol: I used to change them about once a week as I fly a lot and have seen in here where some folks change them every 10 flights and I had just not thought about them for about 40 flights . What I am wondering is when you get that warning beep how long do you have before it shuts down and does the bird just hit RTH ? Glad to know that that function works and reminds you to put new ones in :D
You were flying at one thousand inches?
"=inches
'=feet
That's about 83 feet.
Just wondered if you caught that. :D My cat's eye did.... ;)
Use rechargeable and save buying all those batteries....

Happyflyer said:
Use rechargeable and save buying all those batteries....

He only flies 1000" so he just needs a rubber band for power.

rrmccabe said:
He only flies 1000" so he just needs a rubber band for power.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I had to get the calculator out for that one. :oops:

I wish I could fly that high, I live right next to an Army base and we have helicopters out all the time. I have to take a drive to get away from them. They are restricted to 500' But who knows with Army pilots. :roll:

Where are you buying your rubber bands !

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik