TX range problem - help!

Reaction score
Long story short - the stock antenna on my TX was terrible so I upgraded to a 6db omni, but still eek out about 600ft tops on FCC mode before I get the "Control Signal lost" warning and RTH. I was flying today at a rowing meet and kept losing signal at about 500ft with direct line of sight with no power lines or obstacles anywhere near me and fresh batteries. It seemed to happen more when I rotated the aircraft in a certain orientation, because it happened at 100ft out occasionally as well. I don't know what to do, any suggestions how I could get to maybe 1000ft without a directional antenna?

There can be a signal 'shadow' area between your LOS and your reciever when the aircraft is turned so the gimbel/camera is in the way. Its just a trait of 5.8 Mhz - it ain't good at going through things. A diversity reciever helps as it will choose the antenna with strongest signal. A good matched set of antennas also helps. My tx antenna sticks out from the side and is turned to point downwards. In fact its near level with the bottom of the land gear. I gotta say I dont get loss of signal when turning at all. Then again I'm not going big distances just 500 - 600 metres usually.

Edit: this is the antenna matched set of 3 that I use
http://horizonfpvantennas.mybigcommerce ... -and-rhcp/

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

Have you checked in RC assistant to make sure its set to FCC mode? My transmitter bleeped twice when I got it (vision non+) I turned the pot so that now it only bleeps once so am assuming it should now be in CE mode but when I did a range test I still had control at 450metres(and ran out of bottle) so I suspect mine is still in FCC mode but I have not yet connected to the RC assistant to check cos I don't have the external USB on my TX. :D

Ok, well as he has posted in the phantom 2 (non vision) section I would guess thats what he has.

2.4ghz on the p2z, not 5.8. Also turning that pot on the p2z controller doesn't change between fcc and ce mode like it does on other models.
I would turn that pot back to the centre or wherever it was before you touched it.

Also p2z controller never beeps at all.

Confused, are you talking about a video tx or your controller? fcc mentioned so I assume you mean the controller?

MrC said:
2.4ghz on the p2z, not 5.8...
I thought he was talking about loss of video signal is he not, which is 5.8

Not sure hence why I asked. He mentions fcc and fresh batteries which makes me think hes talking about the controller. Will have to wait and see what he's talking about. Can you adjust fcc/ce modes on video tx/rx?

MrC said:
Not sure hence why I asked. He mentions fcc and fresh batteries which makes me think hes talking about the controller. Will have to wait and see what he's talking about. Can you adjust fcc/ce modes on video tx/rx?
Im told its irrelevant on a P2

I too heard it's irrelevant on p2z, but also read somewhere that it can have a negative affect if you change it on this model. Something along the lines of fine tuning rather than changing modes.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic