Two quick questions if you have a moment

Reaction score
Question 1. I noticed when I turn on my Standard controller, I don't hear any beeps. Any idea why? I was watching a video about assuring you have the FCC setting turned on and it indicated you would hear two beeps. I checked and I was not set to FCC mode and still never hear any beeps.

Question 2. I have the 7 in Diversity monitor from DSLRPros. The other day I was flying and I couldn't have been more than a half a block away and lost the picture from the quad. It would come in and out and as I brought the quad back, the picture got stronger. I was on Div band E channel 1. I sure thought the range was supposed to be better than that. Any ideas? I don't know if I inadvertently hit the wrong button on the monitor to cause this loss of range.

Thanks,

Phil H.

1] Only Phantom Vision controller beeps and LED is green.
2] Could be strong interference from 5.8GHz antennas or something. Try a different spot. Or you had poor line of sight (building or something in the way).

Fyod said:
1] Only Phantom Vision controller beeps and LED is green.
2] Could be strong interference from 5.8GHz antennas or something. Try a different spot. Or you had poor line of sight (building or something in the way).

FYOD is right, the no beeps is standard on P2 RC. I have had 3 in my possession and each one behaved the same. I did not check for FCC mode like I did with my Vision and my Vision +, good reminder.

5.8 G has longer range, but inherently does not like going through "stuff" (ie people, trees, buildings, etc), so again FYOD is right, line of sight is key, but you're right half a block sucks.

My experience, I had the DJI AVL58 and the diversity receiver monitor and it was a bummer how limited my range was. I bit the bullet and changed to the immersionRC 600mw TX and some better antennas. It's pretty sweet. $69 http://www.getfpv.com/5-8ghz-600mw-video-tx.html

I didn't even need to change the RX I already had - I just gave it some better ears. I tried this antenna on the RX. http://www.getfpv.com/5-8-ghz-spironet- ... tenna.html
Awesome. And just to play I bought a 6 ft SMA cable and put a cloverleaf on the end - up on a mast and the other connected to the RX. Works great for my FPV, but I also get free HBO, which is a nice perk :)

One last thought.... remember not to mix SMA and RPSMA. You can put the wrong type of antenna on your TX or RX depending what they are and therefore have almost no antenna even though you know you screwed one onto the connector.... yeh I never did that.

http://phantomlogs.blogspot.com/2014/07 ... ctors.html

evonbart2 said:
5.8 G has longer range

Typically the lower the frequency, the better the range.

Speaking specifically of range, typically a 2.4GHz RC (with all other things being equal) will outperform a 5.8GHz RC.

tferrari said:
evonbart2 said:
5.8 G has longer range

Speaking specifically of range, typically a 2.4GHz RC (with all other things being equal) will outperform a 5.8GHz RC.

Similar to cellular frequencies....the old Nextel frequency was 821-869mhz and penetrated buildings wonderfully....as it's grown to and beyond 1900mhz that has gotten a little worse.

tferrari said:

I always understood it was the other way around...higher frequencies = better range, lower frequencies = better penetration. Same holds true for audio as well as RF frequencies.

Effective range in free space is directly related to attenuation from what I can tell. Lower frequency radio waves typically exhibit less attenuation than higher frequencies. However, we are operating with very high frequencies to begin with, so the difference in practice may be negligible.

Here's some information: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_propagation

5.8Ghz propagation is about half that of 2.4GHz for a given ERP.

Penetration is also a lot worse. My home 5.8GHz wifi drops off way before the 2.4GHz signal and video links are the same.

You really need a wide open space with nothing much in the way to give you good range - either that, or plenty of height!

5.8GHz really is line of site unless you either have very well match antennae or a cranked up TX. In the UK we are limited to 25mW, which can give a range of less than 100' on badly set up kit. With a bit of effort, you can get 500M, but beyond that needs some experience with RF that's well beyond my skills!

noiseboy72 said:
5.8GHz really is line of site unless you either have very well match antennae or a cranked up TX. In the UK we are limited to 25mW, which can give a range of less than 100' on badly set up kit. With a bit of effort, you can get 500M, but beyond that needs some experience with RF that's well beyond my skills!

I'm using a 2000mW "Thunderbolt" transmitter on my P2 here in the UK which is claimed to give a range of up to 5km. I have not yet tested this in anger, but it's good to know that I should be able to maintain FPV video out to the limits of the control range.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik