Two questions, new advanced with 1.19 fw

Reaction score
Got an Advanced for Christmas, very excited. Here is my quandary, it was purchased in October as Christmas gift and has fw 1.19. Must have been old stock right?

Two questions.

1. It has original style motors and crazy old fw. Can be returned and exchanged but would be hassle, I would get a free case if I did this. May be able to anyway.

2. If I hold on to it and don't exchange which is what I prefer if it makes sense can I upgrade from 1.19 to latest firmware or must it be done in steps? Dji does not address this in PDF for 1.40.

Thanks for opinion and advice.

There are several folks here who would LOVE to have a Phantom that still had 1.1.9. Don't be too fast to consider it "crazy old" and think you must update.

You don't need to update if you don't want to update. There are some cool features on later versions, so you should check them out to see if they interest you. You can decide if you'd use them often or if they are "one time just to try it" features. There are also some safety considerations such as the recent battery management concerns and how they have been addressed with the latest FW.

Bottom line is to not do anything hasty without a clear understanding of what you are getting with each change. Some changes can't be undone later.

If you do decide to update, I do think you need to get to a certain level first and then can go right to the latest. I don't recall if it's 1.3.2 first or 1.4.1 first. I'm pretty sure it's 1.3.2 first, but research that before you do anything or perhaps someone who knows with 100% certainty can chime in.

Last edited:
There are several folks here who would LOVE to have a Phantom that still had 1.1.9. Don't be too fast to consider it "crazy old" and think you must update.

You don't need to update if you don't want to update. There are some cool features on later versions, so you should check them out to see if they interest you. You can decide if you'd use them often or if they are "one time just to try it" features. There are also some safety considerations such as the recent battery management concerns and how they have been addressed with the latest FW.

Bottom line is to not do anything hasty without a clear understanding of what you are getting with each change. Some changes can't be undone later.

If you do decide to update, I do think you need to get to a certain level first and then can go right to the latest. I don't recall if it's 1.3.2 first or 1.4.1 first. Research that before you do anything or perhaps someone who knows with 100% certainty can chime in.

What about the hardware revisions like motor and shell update? I am assuming that if it came with 1.1.9 it was made in March right?

Got an Advanced for Christmas, very excited. Here is my quandary, it was purchased in October as Christmas gift and has fw 1.19. Must have been old stock right?

Two questions.

1. It has original style motors and crazy old fw. Can be returned and exchanged but would be hassle, I would get a free case if I did this. May be able to anyway.

2. If I hold on to it and don't exchange which is what I prefer if it makes sense can I upgrade from 1.19 to latest firmware or must it be done in steps? Dji does not address this in PDF for 1.40.

Thanks for opinion and advice.
The older motors are nothing to be concerned about...the free case might be tempting though.

There are many cool features in the newer Go app that require updated firmware, and some important bug fixes in newer firmware. As many have suggested, do a little research on the features to determine if they are right for you.

You may skip all previous AC FW versions except 1.3.2. So...1.1.9 to 1.3.2 to 1.6.4 if you want to go all the way. Should cycle all your batteries thru the AC with the 1.3.2 FW on the SD card before moving on to which ever version FW after that you decide to stop at.

Reactions: dirtybum
What about the hardware revisions like motor and shell update? I am assuming that if it came with 1.1.9 it was made in March right?
There have been many long and ugly threads here about whether or not the "new" motors matter at all or how prevalent the cracked shell issue is considering the vast number of Phantoms out in the wild. My personal opinion is that it doesn't matter if you have new or old motors. I also don't think the shell issue is as vast as people lead you to believe, plus DJI has demonstrated that they will replace any shells that crack. Those statements may very well lead to another long and ugly thread, so the best thing to do is to research the topic yourself and make your own informed decision.

You can find detailed firmware installation instructions here if needed. I'm still using the original P3P with the old motors and it runs like a champ. There is really no evidence that the new motors are any better, so it might not be worth your time to swap it out.

Thanks for the replies. So I will get the case for free and will upgrade to 1.32 and then to 1.64.

If reseller won't send then will get new one, don't expect to have to do that they are very good.

Where can I find 1.32 it's not on Dji site.

Everything updated fine. Looks like card was written in July. original shell and motors. Need to wait till tomorrow to call, they are closed on Saturday but not Sunday.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4