Two devices connected via WiFi

gunslinger

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
This might seem like a stupid question, especially coming from a pro geek, but... why couldn't I connect to the PV via WiFi from two devices at once?

-slinger

gunslinger said:
This might seem like a stupid question, especially coming from a pro geek, but... why couldn't I connect to the PV via WiFi from two devices at once?

-slinger

they don't want this because they don't want some random person being able to tap into your phantom when you're already connected. imagine if anyone could pick up the signal and launch the app and access your photo's, etc.

You can connect multiple devices simultaneously to the wifi extender - but only one of them at a time can actually log into the Phantom camera to receive video, send commands, etc.

race3 said:
they don't want this because they don't want some random person being able to tap into your phantom when you're already connected. imagine if anyone could pick up the signal and launch the app and access your photo's, etc.
Perhaps, but I think it's just as likely because the "server" software on the camera is not multi-threaded, multi-user - and the camera probably has a slow CPU with little memory, etc.

jimre said:
You can connect multiple devices simultaneously to the wifi extender - but only one of them at a time can actually log into the Phantom camera to receive video, send commands, etc.

Yeah... that's kind of where I'm coming from. I know I can connect my Nexus to the bird and use it as the only smart device... But.. From what I've heard and experienced during testing is that the weight of the Nexus 7 is a bit of a problem. If I can use my iPhone like I've been doing and use the Nexus ONLY for getting a better view from the camera... I could put the Nexus on a stand next to me and not clamp it down to the TX at all...

After reading this... maybe that last shot of tequila just caught up with me... hmmm... :oops:

-slinger

Or you could get a cheap portable TV or monitor (like the kind used for car DVD players) and connect it to your iPhone via HDMI or Composite Video adapter.

jimre said:

I had that happen to me unknowingly. I have been using my Note 2 and decided to try my IPad to see how well it worked. I lost video feed at about 200 ft. Flew back in closer and regain video. Flew back out and lost the feed again. I landed the Vision, powered down the rotors, removed the rotors leaving everything on. I went into the house and checked my Note 2 and it was connected to the range extender along with my IPad. I turned wifi off on the Note and went back out and flew with the IPad. No problems at all this time. The Note was about 150 ft. Away in the house when it was connected to the Phantom.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Jimre, not sure I follow how you accomplish this. iPhone only has a lightening connection. Are you saying there is an adapter that goes from lightening to HDMI and/or composite and the Iphone will automatically feed video down the line to a monitor? That would be a feature I could definitely make use of. Do you have details on making this work? I've been told this isnt doable.

:? I think the P2V WiFi is actually a loose cannon!!

Yesterday my barn flew up and ran into my P2V which knocked the camera completely off of the P2V (again!). I reassembled the camera back on the P2V and checked the gimbal, which was fine. I was going out to fly this morning and found out my Nexus 7 (original) could not connect to the camera with the DJI Vision app. Also I had noticed this morning that there was an automatic DJI Vision app update on my Nexus 7 (2013) but did not appear on my N7-original. So I powered up the N7-2 and the camera function worked perfectly. Since I still had N7-original connected to the WiFi, I turned N7-2 OFF and then camera function started working on the N7-original (?????).

So I powered everything OFF and started again. This time the N7-original worked perfect, unfortunately I have no clue why.

As a side note, the video taken with the P2V camera is really outstanding in quality, very clear picture even out to the horizon, so I am quite pleased with both it's ruggedness and the quality of the picture.

ChesterT

jimre said:
Or you could get a cheap portable TV or monitor (like the kind used for car DVD players) and connect it to your iPhone via HDMI or Composite Video adapter.

I recently used "Miracast" to wirelessly display the Vision app on a TV while I used it on my Android phone. I need to do a little more testing to ensure that it doesn't affect the FPV range, but it worked (and would have been really cool if the sun hadn't washed out the TV's picture).

I'm not sure if the iPhone supports Miracast or not.

-- Roger

Butcher99 said:
Jimre, not sure I follow how you accomplish this. iPhone only has a lightening connection. Are you saying there is an adapter that goes from lightening to HDMI and/or composite and the Iphone will automatically feed video down the line to a monitor? That would be a feature I could definitely make use of. Do you have details on making this work? I've been told this isnt doable.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD826 ... av-adapter
This will mirror the iPhone display on an HDMI monitor.

There are similar adapters for iPhone to Composite Video, but the only ones I've found are for old style Apple Dock connector, not Lightning.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers