Turnkey solution to convert P2 live view (GoPro & ZenMuse H3-3D)

Reaction score
SO... I've searched this a million times all over the web, and can't find a clear and concise solution.

If I could rewind a year, I'd have held off buying the Phantom 2 and waited to buy a Phantom 3. Having a GoPro on the Phantom is cool, but the Wifi interference caused flyaways (w/ return home being a lifesaver), so I'm 100% flying in the blind, and not able to take any still photos.

I desperately want to retrofit my current system (Phantom 2 - GoPro Hero 3+ Black - ZenMuse H3-3D), and make it so I can:
1) see a live stream (either on a monitor or iPhone/iPad)
2) control the GoPro (hit record, switch to take still photos)

I don't know how to solder, and would prefer something that I can buy and just plug'n'play. I've taken the Phantom 2 apart before (cracked the shell), so I'm ok "getting in there", but don't want to go crazy. Hell, I'd pay someone to do it if that service was available!

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks!
john

As above, fpv so you can see what the gopro sees through a monitor is pretty simple, you can buy plug and play cables, monitor, transmitter, iosd mini for less than $200US.

If you want to control the camera consider selling and buying something else.

Thanks guys! I've seen the Black Pearl and agree that it's awesome but no ability to control the GoPro is tough... so it's sort of as I feared!

I don't know if it'll meet your needs or not, but I've captured some excellent still shots from the videos I've taken. I record at 1080 @ 60 fps. and get high quality stills.

I personally like the flexibility of being able to use the GoPro in other activities besides aerial stuff. That being said, the P2 W/GoPro setup is certainly not as powerful/controllable as the P3 or inspire when it comes to aerial photography....

That's a good point Uncle Remus... using a still is totally possible and perfectly fine for the majority of online and smaller-size print uses.

Reactions: 750r
SO... I've searched this a million times all over the web, and can't find a clear and concise solution.

If I could rewind a year, I'd have held off buying the Phantom 2 and waited to buy a Phantom 3. Having a GoPro on the Phantom is cool, but the Wifi interference caused flyaways (w/ return home being a lifesaver), so I'm 100% flying in the blind, and not able to take any still photos.

I desperately want to retrofit my current system (Phantom 2 - GoPro Hero 3+ Black - ZenMuse H3-3D), and make it so I can:
1) see a live stream (either on a monitor or iPhone/iPad)
2) control the GoPro (hit record, switch to take still photos)

I don't know how to solder, and would prefer something that I can buy and just plug'n'play. I've taken the Phantom 2 apart before (cracked the shell), so I'm ok "getting in there", but don't want to go crazy. Hell, I'd pay someone to do it if that service was available!

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks!
john
You are very lucky. I never left wifi on with my Phantom but I experienced it with a micro quad and it was crazy. I think you were smart for getting a P2 depending what you paid for components. I now have a P3 and P2. The P2 actually fits some usage cases that I might not want to risk my P3 (GoPro has better image quality but you cannot control exposure). The P2 with analog FPV I think is still perfect for <150m range where you have a specific shot in mind. The cost is more when considered but you can swap and sell parts rather easily. I plan on hanging to my current for awhile since it might be the last Phantom to allow a GoPro gimbal mount (especially if GoPro enters the market). I would get a P3 when you can as you will always need a spare in case something happens (even if its a salvageable crash, its still downtime). Watch for B&H used as I scored one for 33% off and it is an all around better platform for long range aerial as well as indoor tight shots.

Thanks JC! Good tip on B&H too - I always just use Amazon & CamelCamelCamel as my go-to price drop checkers, but I rarely go to other sites!

I don't know if it'll meet your needs or not, but I've captured some excellent still shots from the videos I've taken. I record at 1080 @ 60 fps. and get high quality stills.

If you don't mind me asking, what software do you use to capture stills from video? I am a still photographer (sports), but I'm new to working with video.

Thanks...

I just used Windows Movie Maker and the GoPro software. Of course imovie on a Mac would work too. If I was needing it for professional use I would suggest some version of Adobe Photoshop or Final Cut/Final Cut Pro.

If you don't mind me asking, what software do you use to capture stills from video? I am a still photographer (sports), but I'm new to working with video.

Thanks...
I take full screen "screenshots" if I'm on a 1080 monitor then paste them in Paint. Works good for a quick still.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1438053792.350145.jpg

Reactions: kenjancef
Depends on the model of GoPro you have but the Hero 3 and 3+ and I assume the 4 all do this.

Here is a video showing the steps on a Hero3+ but it is basically the same for the Hero3...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31