Turning Off the Vision+ Gimbal

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I to have had a problem with the gimbal having a mind of it's own, my question is.

"is there a way of turning off the Vision Plus gimbal"

I pose this question because like many have reported, the camera still works without problems but it is the gimbal that needs repair. If we can turn off the gimbal and lock it in place with the gimbal lock we would be still able to fly and take video until replacement parts for the gimbal become more readily available. This way we would still be able to enjoy most of the experience except for the rock steady video. I personally could live with that.

If what my repair man tells me is correct, you can only replace the whole gimbal + camera unit.
Replacing part of the system is not an option.

DownunderPhantom said:
What I am asking is if the gimbal can be turned off and the camera still operate, If it can, the Phantom can still be flown and still take photos/videos instead of it being a doorstop etc, until replacement parts (gimbal assembly) are available.

This is only guessing, but there are three grey ribbon cables attached to the gimbal, I would presume these supply power to control camera/gimbal. You could try carefully unplugging them one at a time to see if it disables the gimbal but still allows the camera to work.... Just a thought.

If you remove the two black ribbon cables from the two brushless motors nearest the camera, the gimbal will stop flopping around. There is a third black ribbon cable inside the silver housing at the top of the camera assembly which you can remove if the gimbal is still active on the 3rd axis. I wouldn't recommend just pulling the cables out of their pins; however. If you carefully open each of the brushless motors, there is a small clip that holds the ribbon cable on the pins in each motor. If you lift the clip the ribbon cable will lift off. Once the gimbal has been "deactivated" you could put the gimbal clamp back on to keep the camera from moving around since there will be nothing to hold it in place once the brushless motors are deactivated.

On another note - if you try to unclip any of the grey cables from the main body to the camera unit it will deactivate the wifi signal to your phone rending the phone app useless.

Question to this:
I have a moving gimbal (the camera works) but the gimbal is constantly grinding around (thanks to a early crash). The gimbal becomes quite warm. If I disconnect the black ribbon as indicated above, does the camera still work? I would assume I could then fly with a fixed camera angle?

Are there any posts or pictures that show how to take apart the gimbal motors? I know some have screws on the back - but I think they just lead to circuit boards. Is that the direction to take?
Many thanks!

I have flown mine with the gimbal clamp on. You get the message on start up "remove gimbal clamp" but that goes away as soon as the phantom lifts off the ground.

YES, you can turn off gimble

If i'm understanding your post correctly... there's an "FPV Mode" available that shuts off the gimble and allows you to fly in true first person view mode allowing your FPV to show the tilts/angles of the aircraft during flight. This should take care of your possessed gimble. It's on page 40 of the manual.

JB

Re: YES, you can turn off gimble

johnbrowning said:
If i'm understanding your post correctly... there's an "FPV Mode" available that shuts off the gimble and allows you to fly in true first person view mode allowing your FPV to show the tilts/angles of the aircraft during flight. This should take care of your possessed gimble. It's on page 40 of the manual.

Unfortunately the FPV mode does not completely shut down the gimbal. It is still active and provides mild compensation during flight.

Thanks for the input.

Still not sure if I have the straight understanding:
If I disconnect the black ribbon from the gimbal motors, will the camera continue to "see"? I was hoping I could stop the gimbals from moving (and creating a lot of heat and I assume also consume battery power) and then still use a FPV. I know if you disconnect the grey wires from the camera, all your telemetry goes away.

Are people doing this with their damaged gimbals? I dunked my first bird in the lake (lost GPS signal), and everything dried out and has come back except for the gimbal (I am quite lucky). I have since bought a new bird, and am being very careful with getting a GPS lock.......

Thanks!

Hi folks;

Sorry for beating on this horse, but I still am looking for the answer to this question:

If I unhook the black ribbon cable that goes to the gimbal motors on the camera, will the camera still function?
My gimbal is wonky at this point, but my camera still records and takes pictures etc. I want to stop the gimbal motors - and then I will just fly with the plastic camera guard only.

Many thanks.

I guess there is one way to find out, disconnect them and see if the camera still works, what have you got to loose.

I have seen a youtube video where a guy has mounted the P2VP camera on a third party gimbal, he did not explain how he did it but I would surmise that he just removed the camera from the gimbal, removed the gimbal and disconnected the black ribbon cable and then installed the third party gimbal and mounted the P2VP camera. As long as the cable from the camera/gimbal main board to the camera is still functional everything should be ok....

hollermga - I don't know if you ever figured out the answer to your question but the answer is "yes". The camera will still work and you can put the gimbal clip back on the hold it in place since the gimbal motors will be deactivated.

Thanks - dezunka - that is the answer I have been hoping for. Now to do the actual surgery on the gimbal. Gulp.
Thanks one and all for the input!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.