Turn the Amp or controller first?

Reaction score
I just added (1)2.4ghz amp to my receiver for a stronger signal. Do you turn on the amp first or the controller? I do not have an anteuator on it. Seems like there we some different opinions on it.
Just posted pic, as someone was wanting to see what i have done.

Thanks

IMG_0139.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Romans109
as long as all cables/wires are connected properly i found with my set up it doesn't matter the order but just to be safe i make sure my amps are on first then i power on my RC, i've even flown without the amps on but i can't get very far lol

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

do you have a picture with the RC set up?

Yep, I always do amps 1st but we were having this same discussion today on my other post and there is some convincing reasons to maybe turn controller on first then very quickly turn on amps to allow controller power spike to deaden before amps are powered to avoid burning the amp up!

Yep, I always do amps 1st but we were having this same discussion today on my other post and there is some convincing reasons to maybe turn controller on first then very quickly turn on amps to allow controller power spike to deaden before amps are powered to avoid burning the amp up!
sounds like a wive's tale -about the amps burning up

There is an initial spike that comes from the controller on power-up (found in a sine wave test) and that's what causes the concern with the amp because the spike is in excess of the amp's maximum power input range. This was discussed in a thread last year. Tony of FPVLR who sells these amps suggested using an attenuator. Then it was theorized that if the controller was turned on first, the amp wouldn't be subject to the spike since it was not powered on. So no attenuator would be needed. What about burning the transmitter? It was explained in another thread that the power would be absorbed by the amp even though it is off.

There is an initial spike that comes from the controller on power-up (found in a sine wave test) and that's what causes the concern with the amp because the spike is in excess of the amp's maximum power input range. This was discussed in a thread last year. Tony of FPVLR who sells these amps suggested using an attenuator. Then it was theorized that if the controller was turned on first, the amp wouldn't be subject to the spike since it was not powered on. So no attenuator would be needed. What about burning the transmitter? It was explained in another thread that the power would be absorbed by the amp even though it is off.
these are two contradictory statements in your paragraph, even though they are not your statements.

Reactions: Sim597
sunhans are good in my opinion, couldn't possibly explain as to why they burned up though

sunhans are good in my opinion, couldn't possibly explain as to why they burned up though

Yep Romans, I don't know either! But if there is something to a power spike when you initially turn the controller on, and I'm not saying there is because I have no way to tell that, then that would definitely do it. That's why I shared it on your thread here.

Well, there is some info about NOT turning on the RC without the antenna or it'll burn out the internal booster, so does that play into anything? Maybe it's best to have the controller on first, so if you turned on the Amps first, they would be hitting the RC with no way of controlling the spike?
I'd love an engineer (electrical) to chime in here to let us know, I have the antenna and prolly gonna get the boosters. With only using one, which signal are you boosting? For which phantom, inspire?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hey millionmanus. I've got a Banggood 2 watt 2000ma 2.4 booster. Upon opening my controller up I found that the drone operates on 5.8 and the wifi camera on 2.4. Is that correct? The label on the transmitter that goes to the antenna says 5.8 ,and the transmitter going to the 2 flat antanna's say 2.4. I'm a little unsure about which is correct. What is your take on this

Yep Romans, I don't know either! But if there is something to a power spike when you initially turn the controller on, and I'm not saying there is because I have no way to tell that, then that would definitely do it. That's why I shared it on your thread here.
i hear ya but this ain't my thread

Reactions: dirtybum
@ mr dronenut yes, the one going to the antenna is the 5.8 and the ones going to the flat panels on the left and right are the 2.4ghz

That's what I thought. So the drone operates on 5.8 and the wifi camera on 2.4. Very interesting

these are two contradictory statements in your paragraph, even though they are not your statements.

I think the idea is the amp, since it is turned off, is protecting the sensitive areas. This causes the amp to mimic an antenna and so the energy radiates out as it does with an antenna.

I think the idea is the amp, since it is turned off, is protecting the sensitive areas. This causes the amp to mimic an antenna and so the energy radiates out as it does with an antenna.
so in your opinion, you say turn on the RC first then the amps? or the amps then the RC?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj