TSA?

Reaction score
Has anyone taken their Phantom thru a TSA checkpoint? I'm not concerned about the drone( but who knows), but the batteries. When I returned the P2V the Post Office clerk almost refused it because it had a lithium battery in it. 'Fortunately there was a smarter clerk there. So I worry the TSA (not the sharpest pencils in the pocket) might say the batteries are illegal or some other stupidity. At that point there is nothing you could do but throw the battery in the garbage can(so the TSA guy can retrieve it and sell it on ebay). So has anyone gone thru with their Phantom in hand?

Hovtech said:
Has anyone taken their Phantom thru a TSA checkpoint? I'm not concerned about the drone( but who knows), but the batteries. When I returned the P2V the Post Office clerk almost refused it because it had a lithium battery in it. 'Fortunately there was a smarter clerk there. So I worry the TSA (not the sharpest pencils in the pocket) might say the batteries are illegal or some other stupidity. At that point there is nothing you could do but throw the battery in the garbage can(so the TSA guy can retrieve it and sell it on ebay). So has anyone gone thru with their Phantom in hand?

print this out and highlight the lipo batteries section and put in your case
I have went through many tsa checkpoints with no issues
They usually ask what it is and have questions as thy think its cool but not as a issue

http://safetravel.dot.gov/documents/air ... teries.pdf
http://safetravel.dot.gov/definitions.html#lithium

skyhighdiver said:
Hovtech said:

print this out and highlight the lipo batteries section and put in your case
I have went through many tsa checkpoints with no issues
They usually ask what it is and have questions as thy think its cool but not as a issue

http://safetravel.dot.gov/documents/air ... teries.pdf
http://safetravel.dot.gov/definitions.html#lithium

Thank you so much for this.

They used to give me a hard time about my broadcast camera batteries. I covered the part that said "Lithium Ion" with electrical tape and printed "NiMH" on an address label and affixed it elsewhere on the battery. That was two years ago. Haven't had that trouble since.

The "transportation security administration". They make sure you don't take bottled water or toothpaste on airplanes via an overpaid , bloated workforce.

I have taken it several times with no issues.
just plan on having it inspected closely.
Plan on a extra 5 to 10 min with security.
Be nice to the security agents answer any questions do not be in a rush.

I always get to the airport at least 3 to 4 hrs before my boarding time which is 30 min before take off.

Put your tools in checked luggage and carry on the batteries. ;)
Never ever put batteries in checked baggage.

What I want to know is, has anyone every checked the UAV or Phantom with other luggage? Kinda scary, but I also have a box of DSLR camera gear that has to go with me as carry on, so I'm thinking of checking the Phantom (carrying the batteries with me). Any thoughts? I have to travel from USA to Europe, and return in September. d86

I have had the Phantom on dozens of flights. In every airport TSA knew that it was. No extra searches. Just moved on through.

"You better cut the pizza into four pieces because I am not hungry enough to eat six" - Yogi Berra

Good posts,, TSA can be like a box of candy,, you never know what you will get,, Haha,, That said as I live part time in Honolulu it entered my mind to skip taking it on board an aircraft. Just to be safe,, dont want my Drone in the trash. For $30 you can ship it safe via UPS, USPS or Fedx. Just a thought on the subject.

Read through some of my comments in this thread and for God sakes ship your batteries GROUND!!!

There's a lesson in here somewhere - and TSA destroyed my drone | DJI Phantom Forum
I travel between NY/CA/Hawaii constantly and bring my P2V+ v3. I have a hardcover backpack by Koozam for traveling on flights (HPRC hardcase for car/roadtrips). You just need to make sure all your tools are in your checked luggage. Everything else is carried-on w/ you. FAA does not allow lithium ion batteries in checked luggage.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik