TSA Certified Locks for Phantom Cases

Reaction score
Thought I'd just share this:

I had a few bad experiences flying with a Phantom 2 in checked luggage where the case was opened and stuff jammed back in where it didn't go and the case was thrown around and treated roughly. The gimbal actually came off with a bent mount plate at one point.

I began a search for TSA approved locks that would fit and added a liberal amount of "FRAGILE" stickers.

The idea with the lock was to keep curious airport workers from casually opening up the case and mucking around with the contents (mostly concerned about small airports in foreign countries but it's always a risk), but still let the TSA do their job and not have locks cut if they wanted to inspect the case formally.

I settled on this lock after trying a bunch that didn't fit:

Master Lock 4688D TSA Accepted Cable Luggage Lock
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WO84Z2/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_UyNXtb0TSY6V2

So far so good.

Hope that helps

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405515754.664570.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405515754.664570.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 445
I like the situation you are describing. Something we should all be aware of.

However, how does one inform the TSA about the combination code without disclosing it to others ?

I mean, TSA or other entity's with authority may need to open it outside of your presence.

garrock said:

However, how does one inform the TSA about the combination code without disclosing it to others ?

I mean, TSA or other entity's with authority may need to open it outside of your presence.

It's a TSA approved lock which basically means they don't need your combination to open it. There is a special key insert on the bottom marker with "TSA007" which I presume indicates to the agent which key to use (see photo). That means the good guys get in. The curious folks don't.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405517067.352406.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405517067.352406.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 408
damoncooper said:
It's a TSA approved lock which basically means they don't need your combination to open it. There is a special key insert on the bottom marker with "TSA007" which I presume indicates to the agent which key to use (see photo). That means the good guys get in. The curious folks don't.

These good guys treat luggage like crap, some of them not so good.

garrock said:

Not sure but it's possible the FAA-equivalant in other countries have the same capability with TSA locks.

Worst case, they cut them to open your case for inspection.

But at least at only $8 each, it's not a tragic loss.

damoncooper said:
Not sure but it's possible the FAA-equivalant in other countries have the same capability with TSA locks.

Worst case, they cut them to open your case for inspection.

But at least at only $8 each, it's not a tragic loss.

They won't cut it open, they'll page you on the intercom even if you're on the plane already and get you to open it up. Worst case scenario, is that it won't make it on the plane and you won't know about it. Which is bad... This scenario has happened to me before with different luggage, not Phantom.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers