TRYING TO GO MAX RANGE

Reaction score
So far I've had my P3S out to 2,100'/.4 mi. Ive just been keeping it close and not taking any chances. It always surprises me how fast and easy it will reach longer ranges. I know soon I'm going to want to see just how far this thing will go. How should I approach that? Do I want to go out and back as fast as possible to stay within battery limits? Or do you go slow & easy to conserve battery life?

Like TC said . I do all my trips at about 20 to 25 mph going out and always just RTH back . Just learn to trust that RTH
and be aware of what you have that set at . I always come back when I hit 70% on my battery just I don't want to drain it to much
but some go much lower .

I tested my range a few times and went at full speed. Went over 7000 feet and once I got there I still had 90 percent battery.

I tested my range a few times and went at full speed. Went over 7000 feet and once I got there I still had 90 percent battery.
I'm sure that's fine in most cases, but if you look thru the threads with battery failure, there is a trend for them to occur when a cold battery is discharged rapidly. Seems to me, anyway.

I'm assuming that I'd wanna go up to 400' for this so I get maximum VLOS, correct?

Definitely. Any obstruction that blocks line of sight with the UAV can impede signal. These tall pines around my place are beautiful, but kill the link to my P3S.

Reactions: Gary M
I live in Shenandoah Valley farm country. I get places with amazing, wide open stretches to fly from. I'm pretty sure I've got plenty of LOS to do it. We'll have to see what the ol gal can do soon. I'm thinking I want to bring an observer with me for those kinds of flights for sure.

Bet it's beautiful...post something!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav