Trying to follow the rules....

Reaction score
I live in a small town, but we have a little public untowered airfield which happens to be within 5 miles of where I like to fly around here. Haven't flown for 3 years, but will be starting again....under the new regulations.

I researched the specific locations and gathered data (coordinates, elevation, distance from airport, etc). The airport isn't always "manned" operationally. But, I called today and reached someone! Told the gentleman I wanted to notify them of upcoming flights. Gave him the dates, times, coordinates, max altitude and advised him of nearby land features and utility poles that were higher than I would be flying. (Like, duh, no pilot will be anywhere near the elevation I'll be flying). He and I both agreed that we are all getting used to the new regulations. At this point, they advise their local pilots but do not issue a NOTAM.

By being prepared with info, I can now simply call and leave a message on their answering machine even when there is no one there. This will be really helpful for me in the future.

Reactions: BigAl07
Hello
animated-smileys-waving-015.gif

Welcome to the forum and the addiction er hobby :)

Very well done. That's how we go above and beyond :)

SCA to Calif Ave Field complete.jpg
Hello
animated-smileys-waving-015.gif

Welcome to the forum and the addiction er hobby :)

Very well done. That's how we go above and beyond :)

Thanks, Al... All of the places I want to fly around here are near higher obstructions than I will be flying. So, in those cases, notification is not really adding to safety...only to airport or ATC operation workload. I read where it is possible to establish a letter of agreement that would preclude the necessity to notify. I am going to look into that as a possibility. I can't even fly around my own neighborhood without notifying because I'm within 5 miles of that little airport, with 600 msl hills in between! Until I can do that, I'll just keep leaving them messages when I want to fly!! The attached jpg
SCA to Calif Ave Field complete.jpg
is the research I've done on my favorite site.

View attachment 63741

Thanks, Al... All of the places I want to fly around here are near higher obstructions than I will be flying. So, in those cases, notification is not really adding to safety...only to airport or ATC operation workload. I read where it is possible to establish a letter of agreement that would preclude the necessity to notify. I am going to look into that as a possibility. I can't even fly around my own neighborhood without notifying because I'm within 5 miles of that little airport, with 600 msl hills in between! Until I can do that, I'll just keep leaving them messages when I want to fly!! The attached jpg View attachment 63741 is the research I've done on my favorite site.
Is the official name of that airport San Martin? And, will you be eventually flying under the hobby/recreation rules or FAR Part 107?

Is the official name of that airport San Martin? And, will you be eventually flying under the hobby/recreation rules or FAR Part 107?
Thanks for your reply. The official name is South County Airport (E16), but it lives in San Martin. Yes, flying as a hobbyist, but the rules still need be followed. While I never expect do any commercial work, will still study for and pass the 107 test to get the remote pilot sUAS certification.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20