Trying to be a good boy

Reaction score
I'm reading the manual and watching the vids before I go out and fly my new toy, however, I came across this on page 20 of the user's manual (which, btw, could use a good editing by a native English speaker).

It says don't use active track when lumens are > 1000. I'm guessing that it's gotta be a typo and should be something like 100,000. According to the info from Wikipedia shown below, I should almost never be able to use this. Am I missing something? There are several other references to lumens in the manual. Do I need to get a silly light meter just to tell if it's ok to fly this thing?
Thanks ... Ed

Illuminance Example
120,000 lux Brightest sunlight
111,000 lux Bright sunlight
20,000 lux Shade illuminated by entire clear blue sky, midday
1,000 - 2,000 lux Typical overcast day, midday
<200 lux Extreme of darkest storm clouds, midday
400 lux Sunrise or sunset on a clear day (ambient illumination).
40 lux Fully overcast, sunset/sunrise
<1 lux Extreme of darkest storm clouds, sunset/rise

Last edited:
Reactions: Reed L
You may be correct, however Lux and Lumens are not the same thing and are calculated differently. Just throwing that out there.

I would think it should say don't use if lumens <1000 instead of >1000. I would imagine the typo isn't the number but the transposition of the greater than sign (>) instead of the less than sign (<). This would make more sense because having a higher contrast scene would make tracking easier. A low light scene would not be as likely to have high enough contrast for active track to follow.

Ok, no sense in the mathematical equation quiz. Most people wont know anyway. But Lux to lumens (lm) conversion calculator Just saying. Not that I have done these calc's in years but they are there.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4