Trying landing gear padding

Reaction score
We've always been uncomfortable with the clearance between the camera and the ground. (and, I'm a TwinCommander pilot and know all about not much clearance between airframes and the ground :)) Today, one of the guys was at Lowe's Hardware and picked up a piece of water pipe foam insulation. The smallest diameter was 1/2". We just cut off a couple of pieces, opened the pre-split foam, and wrapped one around each skid. Way too big inner diameter of course, but why not give it a try? The extra ground clearance was nice. And, the landings seemed more gentle. Inflight performance seemed unaffected by the mod. However, the new configuration made the Phantom want to tip over on takeoff more than it usually does. So, full takeoff power is necessary for about 1.5 seconds. In the next couple of days, we'll try tiewrapping the foam so as to reduce the inner diameter to see what effect that will have on takeoff performance. Also, the foam can remain on the landing gear when the Phantom goes into its hard case.

Something else you might try is getting a solid cylinder piece of foam (if they have it), then just drill a hole through the middle with a long drill bit of the size needed (slightly smaller than the diameter of the legs... then use an x-acto knife and cut a slit down the middle to the hole. just an idea... love the creativity though.. thanks for sharing.

If its the same type of foam as that pipe insulation... you'll find that you don't even need to drill the hole... just cut the slit and squeeze it back together around the skid... it will conform to the small skid diameter... not that I agree with this mod though... I wouldn't do this to my Phantom personally but I see the point of what you're trying to do here.

Water Landing Gear

Hi Everyone, new owner here. Just finished my first flight! Lots to learn, but I'm being cautions and thorough!

Just wanted to share these nice DIY landing gear hacks.

This first one allows for both landing AND filming below the water without getting the UAV wet.
Not sure which gimbal is being used, but the GoPro Hero is in the waterproof shell. Check it out here: http://youtu.be/ZCTucFFNdRo

This second one is a simple pool-noodle hack, but still seems fairly lightweight and usable compared to the things I've seen attached to a Phantom.
Check that one here: http://youtu.be/vzQoWRQ0nfI

Let me know if these seem workable to anyone out there with more experience than myself.
I would really like to shoot some above water stuff, but am awfully scared to attempt it without a little add-on like these as a bit of a safety net.

~coluch

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie