Trusting FPV for the first time

Reaction score
So I have my FPV going and flew for the first time this past weekend.

I just found a huge baseball field and did sone practicing.

Let me just say that I was complete unnerved when I could no longer clearly see what direction the bird was facing. After a some moments of subdued panic I began to look down at the FPV monitor and the picture was clear with trusty mini iOSD data all there. I found the magical diamond (home is this way!) and began my first baby steps into FPV flying.

It was really unnerving. Much more than I thought would have been the case.

Any tips on getting comfortable flying by FPV?

Setup: P2 non-vision with H3-3D, mini-iOSD, Boscam 7-inch diversity LCD, short range 5-turn blue beam and long range immersion RC patch antenna, Boscam TS 353 vTx with blue beam 3-turn antenna.

Thx

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
damoncooper said:
So I have my FPV going and flew for the first time this past weekend.

I just found a huge baseball field and did sone practicing.

Let me just say that I was complete unnerved when I could no longer clearly see what direction the bird was facing. After a some moments of subdued panic I began to look down at the FPV monitor and the picture was clear with trusty mini iOSD data all there. I found the magical diamond (home is this way!) and began my first baby steps into FPV flying.

It was really unnerving. Much more than I thought would have been the case.

Any tips on getting comfortable flying by FPV?

Setup: P2 non-vision with H3-3D, Boscam 7-inch diversity LCD, short range 5-turn blue beam and long range immersion RC patch antenna, Boscam TS 353 vTx with blue beam 3-turn antenna. Here's a good video showing it off. Fast forward to about 5:50.

Thx

If you get the DJI iOSd Mini to go along with your setup I think it may ease your nerves. It will show you on screen which way your home point is and mark it with a diamond if you're facing it.

We're on the same page! I did my first FPV about a week ago and felt the same way - but that "I am here" diamond slowly earned my trust. My practice sessions involve a tall water tower 1400 feet away. I centered it in the monitor's view, took the P2 up to 70 meters and let her rip. Once I got to the tower the first time, I did a 180 and came home. Three or four of the same flights later, I lingered a bit at the tower...circled it, hovered above it looking down and all around, then flew home.

Fun stuff. I don't know what's next but for now, this simple stuff is fun and amazing to me.

John
Houston TX

Wow, 70m :). Furthest up I've ventured so far is a whopping 34m and I thought I'd lose the bird for sure ;)

I have more practice to do!

Thanks for sharing.

I just did my first FPV flight today, i'm not sure if i'm trusting it more then i should but i am 100% more confident flying FPV then by sight alone. Before i had FPV set up the highest i went was i'm guessing 10m and farthest out was probably 20m max lol. Today i had it up to 200m and out a good 100m. Still small in comparison to other reports of KM's flown out (thats still crazy to me by a long shot lol)

Looking forward to allot more flights; now if i can just get over my fear of flyaways :S

I'm trying to understand the diamond It go's back and forth on my screen but not truly understand the meaning of it and how to interpret its movement and other things that it does. Can't a few of you give me your descriptions and best way of understanding and utilizing it to its maximum.

From my extremely limited experience the diamond is the home point the phantom set eg: where your standing. So follow that and you will be wherever the home point was set.

keep the diamond in the center of the screen and fly towards it, you should be able to hear or start to see the phantom and then land.

edited because i did'nt think it was clear

That last sentence helped so if the Phantom moves away from me the Diamond wood go left or right if it comes toward me it stays in the center is this correct and does the diamond always stay hollow

yes, that is right as you fly away from you the diamond goes away, and as you turn to the direction you are standing the diamond comes back. as far as i know it is always hollow.

I have to ask.

Does it feel like your actually flying, and what's the resolution like, is it big pixels in your face and is all you see just the sky ahead ?

Do you get that vertigo flying feeling as well.

steveeds said:
I have to ask.

Does it feel like your actually flying, and what's the resolution like, is it big pixels in your face and is all you see just the sky ahead ?

Do you get that vertigo flying feeling as well.

It is a very cool feeling to be up there flying around. It does take some time to feel comfortable. I fly with Skyzone goggles and I would say the resolution is pretty good. But I really want to be flying with a Lightbridge setup for full HD. Hopefully soon.

I shot this video my second time flying FPV

Having the diamond mark home is a real big plus for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nVVMSxCfu8

chrisono said:
I just did my first FPV flight today, i'm not sure if i'm trusting it more then i should but i am 100% more confident flying FPV then by sight alone. Before i had FPV set up the highest i went was i'm guessing 10m and farthest out was probably 20m max lol. Today i had it up to 200m and out a good 100m. Still small in comparison to other reports of KM's flown out (thats still crazy to me by a long shot lol)

Looking forward to allot more flights; now if i can just get over my fear of flyaways :S

Same here! With the information provided by the mini osd and the video picture, I am MUCH more confident. I even tend to look at my monitor more even if my P2 is only a few meters away. It helps me more with orientation and flight info then just looking line of sight at the P2. When I look at the screen, left is left and right is right! :)

steveeds said:
Is that where you live ?

http://www.algadgets.com/lightbridge

Is that the $6.000.00 unit your looking at getting

I'm not in the same world your in lol

No that is a Hindu Temple near where I live. It would make a nice house tho...

Lightbridge is down to $1399 now. But they are very hard to find in stock still.
https://www.google.com/search?q=DJI+LIG ... channel=sb

I mainly make yt videos for a living. So it would be a tax write off. Just like my P2's were. Now I just need to get about a million views from videos from them to pay for all the new toys. I am shooting a big drag-boat race next week that could bring in a bunch of those views or I may lose one of them in the water. Only time will tell.. LoL

I understand as soon as you mentioned "toys" ..yes indeed, it's a shame about the house, we could have become very close friends :)

It was a good video but as I've said in another post the move left/right (is it Yaw) is still that tiny bit jerky, it needs a finer setting in the controller to make it even smoother.

steveeds said:
I understand as soon as you mentioned "toys" ..yes indeed, it's a shame about the house, we could have become very close friends :)

It was a good video but as I've said in another post the move left/right (is it Yaw) is still that tiny bit jerky, it needs a finer setting in the controller to make it even smoother.

I am waiting here right now for my ups man to bring me 2 3D's. Tracking says they are on the truck.

I am putting on 3d's and longer wider legs on both of mine. But one at a time. So I don't end up with two messed up birds at the same time.

I also picked up those ND filters I see a lot of folks talking about on the forum.

So I have a lot of work and testing ahead of me.

I'm 70 years old, and it hasn't been easy for me especially since I've never even played a video game.
Getting a lot more trussing now though.
Panic does often set in when I glance up and don't see it.

Panic does often set in when I glance up and don't see it.

Yep, that's an odd feeling. What really seems cool to me about FPV is that for the majority of the flight time, I can't hear the Phantom's motors. Then when I bring it home via the monitor and home diamond, I see the distance reading values slowly decrease...and then there it is - that buzzing sound that confirms the reality displayed on the monitor.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav