True long range test

Reaction score
Anybody have the DBS or FPVLR mod and want to REALLY test its range capabilities and see once and for all which is king? Well I propose the following: instead of heading back because of low battery concerns, keep going until u actually lose signal. The catch is u have to have somebody on the other end ready to catch it. You also need to set failsafe to hover instead of RTH. I wonder what the true range is...10 miles, 15 miles?

Who's up to the challenge?

Anybody have the DBS or FPVLR mod and want to REALLY test its range capabilities and see once and for all which is king? Well I propose the following: instead of heading back because of low battery concerns, keep going until u actually lose signal. The catch is u have to have somebody on the other end ready to catch it. You also need to set failsafe to hover instead of RTH. I wonder what the true range is...10 miles, 15 miles?

Idea is good but difficult to implement.

Do we know a 20 miles straight road anywhere with no obstructions? We may also need a second RC to pull it down safely.

Idea is good but difficult to implement.

Do we know a 20 miles straight road anywhere with no obstructions? We may also need a second RC to pull it down safely.

For what it's worth ; many places in the Mojave outside Needles, Vidal Junction; Joshua Tree; and Western Nevada. Any of these areas would make for an excellent area to run such a test.

One of the thing I would love to know from the test if whether the battery truly limit the range. I.e., you keep flying until u either lose connection or battery run out. My bet is lose connection first, but prove me wrong!

8.5 miles out and back FPVLR V2
Image-4.jpg

I'm up for the challenge. The only catch is I have to fly your phantom. :)

That's a round trip, so it's 17 miles total. At least now we know it can go that far. But what is the true range of the FPVLR? Someone needs to push it out ONE WAY.
that's not even close to the max range the only reason I had to go to a higher altitude was that I was flying over land. Today I went 34000 feet over water 100 foot of altitude the whole way. 10 miles would be nothing for it. I would love to do this test. As far as I know I have the record for 4 out and back on a phantom 3. I gotta think about how to do this but I know I can break this record too.

it will go further than that that 8.5 mile flight was over land wasn't a perfect line of sight. over water I've gone 34000 feet at 100 feet of altitude. I get 32 - 34 minutes of flight time but I don't know how I would pull this off without losing the drone. I focus my efforts on there and back. If you all think of a good way to do it I'm all ears.

Just outta curiosity how are you guys flying this far on one battery? I saw a 30 minute flight time and my battery only last 20 minutes tops.
If you fly at 30mph, you can reach 10 miles in 20 minutes.

that's not even close to the max range the only reason I had to go to a higher altitude was that I was flying over land. Today I went 34000 feet over water 100 foot of altitude the whole way. 10 miles would be nothing for it. I would love to do this test. As far as I know I have the record for 4 out and back on a phantom 3. I gotta think about how to do this but I know I can break this record too.

Thank you for volunteering to do the test. I hope you will get the record!
As for the test, you will definitely need help. A few spotters perhaps. I would do this over land in case your bird don't make it back, it will land somewhere safe. Good luck!

The easiest way to check the range is to use two RCs. Use first RC to raise the copter to 400' and take the other RC 10, 15, 20 miles away and check signal strength and video.

Let's workout how to get two RCs connected to P3

Where's the fun in that?
Absolutely correct. But there is an excitement to get the range computed.

Fun will start later to see who can achieve it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1