Trouble with motor on Phantom vision plus

Reaction score
My son tried to fly his drone out of tall grass, when it lifted off it turned sideways and fell into the grass. When he attempted to lift off the next time, off of a flat surface one of the motors started then stalled. Each time he tries the same results. Any ideas what could be wrong ?

Reactions: jeydee
My son tried to fly his drone out of tall grass, when it lifted off it turned sideways and fell into the grass. When he attempted to lift off the next time, off of a flat surface one of the motors started then stalled. Each time he tries the same results. Any ideas what could be wrong ?

Yes. The motor has ceased to operate, thus the bird will not fly. Time for a repair.

I recently had that happen on my P2V+ ... a tip-over that stalled the motor for no longer than about 5 seconds. Prop wasn't 't even damaged. The P2V+ version 3 was notorious for that ESC/motor problem and was the subject of numerous angry and obsessive threads here a couple of years ago.

I figured it was the motor because turning the prop gave me a little grinding, so I ordered a new 2312 from Amazon for about $20. I noticed on that Amazon motor page under "people also bought..." that I could also buy the appropriate ESC for $18, so I bit on that one too. Actually, that new ESC was the mythical "new" version 2.1 to replace the problematic v2.0 ESC. Those amazon parts came in two days via Prime and they're DJI OEM parts.

It requires a pretty good soldering iron and good flux but changing the motor was otherwise pretty straightforward. Unfortunately when I fired it back up, the motor didn't grind but it still stuttered. I therefore figured that it was both the motor and the ESC and went back and desoldered/removed the dead ESC and replaced it with the new one. The whole adventure took about 45 minutes including the recalibration of the IMU and the results were a P2V+ that works as well as it ever did.

I did the same thing about six weeks ago. Replaced two motors and it still stuttered. Replaced the ESCs and it runs like new. I suspect the motors may still be good. DB (reknown rockstar of the site) says he's never had a motor go bad, just ESCs.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj